• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Responds to Counterfeit Yu-Gi-Oh Card Suit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
dm, a fact is a fact, Upper Deck signed a contract with Konami to be the North American distributor for the card game. Now that the card game is the #2 card game, Konami is trying to break the contract. It's no wonder. They're losing potential profits, in the current economy, now that the card game is the most popular, under Magic and it's no wonder they want control of the card game back.

Konami is undoubtably trying every trick under their sleeve to undermine the contract but considering that Konami has to abide by U.S. courts, the same way Upper Deck would have to abide by Japanese courts, Konami is just trying to drag this out as long as possible.

Apparently, they're not content with waiting for the current contract to run its course.
VDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Totally OT, but I heard there was a YGO card that was an homage to Metal Gear. Can someone at least tell me which card it is? I've been wondering about this FOREVER.

Tactical Espionage Expert / 華麗なる潜入工作員
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
That's actually kinda cool. Dude in the picture looks like a cross between Raiden and Snake...and I love the name of the card. Had Yugi used it, Kaiba wouldn't have been able to use his TRAP CARD
dm85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
dm, a fact is a fact, Upper Deck signed a contract with Konami to be the North American distributor for the card game. Now that the card game is the #2 card game, Konami is trying to break the contract. It's no wonder. They're losing potential profits, in the current economy, now that the card game is the most popular, under Magic and it's no wonder they want control of the card game back.

Konami is undoubtably trying every trick under their sleeve to undermine the contract but considering that Konami has to abide by U.S. courts, the same way Upper Deck would have to abide by Japanese courts, Konami is just trying to drag this out as long as possible.

Apparently, they're not content with waiting for the current contract to run its course.

Speculation..Opinion..

Hey it may be true don't get me wrong, but right now it's all just allegations by two sides of a coin.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
My question is, don't both companies have things to fall back on if this turns sour? UDE has other trading cards (baseball, card games, whatever) and Konami has Castlevania and Metal Gear. So while I know the franchise is worth tons of money, neither company will go kaput if it ends up being canned.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
That's a nice effect for a monster card there. Hold on, I actually have that one! With that card I can raid Zac's pantry now Laughing
VDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
That's a nice effect for a monster card there. Hold on, I actually have that one! With that card I can raid Zac's pantry now Laughing

Actually, the effect plain sucks. It only stops trap cards activated at the moment of summoning, such as Trap Hole...that's all it does, any other kinds of trap cards are unaffected.

As for using it in the anime; it seems the card is used in the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D.

EDIT: Also, lol censorship:
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:
EDIT: Also, lol censorship:

Wow, it never stops Rolling Eyes Talk about cultural differences and fear of retaliation by parents.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to be... some kind of gun-shaped torch...? Made of poorly-rendered wood? Confused
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to be... some kind of gun-shaped torch...?

Heh, if it's a flamethrower-like weapon I'd rather he just uses a regular pistol.

Then again, I don't see a silencer attached... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3