• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 3 Blu-ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall Zac referring to the dub as "weak" in the previous two volumes' reviews. In fact, from what I had read in those prior reviews I thought he actually liked an English anime dub for once. Does the dub in the third volume really take such a nosedive that it's now considered a negative aspect of this release?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
It acknowledges that the world/universe/rules/life sucks or isn't fair but that working for one's hopes and dreams isn't meaningless. Accepting the good and the bad, but not giving up the fight. I love those kind of messages.

And if people enjoy that message about hope, that's fine. All I'm saying is personally I was disappointed that it turned out as it did when before it had done so well to set itself apart from practically everything else (except Bokurano).

It was similar to how I felt with the ending of Kaiba, which also had a pretty standard conclusion. Up until that point it had been quite different from the norm in terms of storytelling, but the ending felt so lackluster by comparison.

I will say though that I dislike the majority of the endings of anime. There are not many that I can say I honestly enjoyed.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

and Homura is able to carry on also as an aside I'm surprised that supposed Yuri subtext didn't get mentioned. For the record I don't see any Yuri in the show and those that do I think have "issues" but I digress that's probably more of a fandom issue than sereis proper I guess.

Seriously? Imagine Homura was a boy. Would you have any doubt in your mind that they loved Madoka?

Anyway, I mentioned "and I'm Home" earlier, and I always forget just how incredibly non-subtle the lyrics are.

and I'm Home

(Kyoko) With two hearts rusting together,
in a world without sound; what do you see?
I'm searching for the face who will say "see you again,"
I'll just be doing it over and over again.

(Sayaka) If you would only notice that right there;
was a figure from behind crying all on its own.
(Kyoko) It was a rough place,
(Sayaka) and a lonely one,

(Duet) but we joined our hands.

(Duet) No matter how many times you feel that way,
there will always be warmth here.
Even if it was a mistake, I don't care, I'll always be by your side.
With the sound of tears and the looks of a sigh,
I'm sure this is where we are now.

(Duet) A jestful everyday life;
I want to see it, I want to see it, that future.

(Sayaka) When the bluff of false courage in my voice began to falter,
the dream began to end
Holding my knees,
when my vision fades, I know I'll quickly collapse.

(Kyoko) If it stays like this, if it stays like this
the two of us will have to rush to the only furthest exit.
(Sayaka) Even now I still have hope.
(Duet) Now, let's smile and gaze at each other.

(Duet) With a simple and innocent face,
let's embrace our disheveled feelings.
Even this place where we've lost ourselves feels so gentle.

(Duet) I'll keep calling your name no matter how many times,
even if the future is uncertain.
It's hard to say goodbye, it hurts every time I think of you.
I'm right here.
I'm right here.
Please come back and be with me.

(Duet) It won't ever change;
these emotions which have been left behind.

In most situations, that would be considered a love song.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
willag wrote:
It acknowledges that the world/universe/rules/life sucks or isn't fair but that working for one's hopes and dreams isn't meaningless. Accepting the good and the bad, but not giving up the fight. I love those kind of messages.

And if people enjoy that message about hope, that's fine. All I'm saying is personally I was disappointed that it turned out as it did when before it had done so well to set itself apart from practically everything else (except Bokurano).

It was similar to how I felt with the ending of Kaiba, which also had a pretty standard conclusion. Up until that point it had been quite different from the norm in terms of storytelling, but the ending felt so lackluster by comparison.

I will say though that I dislike the majority of the endings of anime. There are not many that I can say I honestly enjoyed.

If you could wave a magic wand, no pun intended, how would you have Madoka end? Just curious, since I am almost certain, no matter what, that any outcome would have already been done by another series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Ok. Thats nice.

WHAT DID YOU WANT!?

Seriously. I hate complaints like this. You wouldn't have been happy with anything I'm sure, so how about you tell us how YOU think the show should have ended, instead of just going on about how it was "standard" and didn't live up to whatever expectations you had.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

If you could wave a magic wand, no pun intended, how would you have Madoka end? Just curious, since I am almost certain, no matter what, that any outcome would have already been done by another series.

Honestly? Homura gets killed by the Walpurgisnacht and Madoka finally becomes a magical girl to avenge her. Madoka then has to become the new Mami-type and train a new round of magical girls, continuing the never-ending cycle of witch hunting.

Unlike the (terrible) ending, spoiler[Mami and Kyouko do not come back to life. They stay dead, along with Homura. This ending also means that when Madoka becomes a magical girl, she does not become some deity-like figure, which I always thought was really stupid.]

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. - Key]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Honestly? Homura gets killed by the Walpurgisnacht and Madoka finally becomes a magical girl to avenge her. Madoka then has to become the new Mami-type and train a new round of magical girls, continuing the never-ending cycle of witch hunting.

We can all be very thankful you didn't write this show. Ugh.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Good god thats horrible. Thats quite possibly the most cliched ending you could have come up with.

Also, it violates rules already established in the show. If Madoka contracts and defeats Walpurgisnacht, she will become Kriemhild Gretchen. Its absolutely unavoidable.

At least my suggestion followed the established rules of the setting. Jesus.

Quote:
Unlike the (terrible) ending, spoiler[Mami and Kyouko do not come back to life. They stay dead, along with Homura. This ending also means that when Madoka becomes a magical girl, she does not become some deity-like figure, which I always thought was really stupid.]

So in point of fact, you do not understand what actually happened in the ending. Amazing. Are you the same person who was just praising Lain's ending? For real?

Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[Unlike the (terrible) ending, Mami and Kyouko do not come back to life. They stay dead, along with Homura. This ending also means that when Madoka becomes a magical girl, she does not become some deity-like figure, which I always thought was really stupid.]

So in point of fact, you do not understand what actually happened in the ending. Amazing. Are you the same person who was just praising Lain's ending? For real?

Your turn! Explain how I don't understand what happened in the ending. Because I'm fairly certain that I did.

Also, I never once heard anyone speak of a 'Kriemhild Gretchen' in the anime. Can you point me to the episode where this term is used? A time stamp would be lovely as well. Because that just seems like Faust fans sticking their own terms into the show.

@Zac: spoiler[A ray of happiness to turn everything better and bring back her dead friends] is soooo much better isn't it?

Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Kyubey character, for his part, is a screenwriting accomplishment in and of itself.

This will no doubt cause a flame war, but I'll say it anyway: I honestly find Kyubey to be the most fascinating character that I have encountered in fiction; even moreso than Othello's Iago - and I absolutely love Othello.

I'll also be honest here...there is only one work of fiction, be it movies, books, plays, anime that has has made me cry - and that is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The sheer size of Madoka's wish and the sacrifices it involves touched me to the core, but what truly ripped me to shreds was Sayaka and Madoka's speech as they watched Kyosuke performing Ave Maria; a song that was played at my Nana's funeral service.

In regards to the English dub, I've only seen the final episode via the Nico Nico stream at the moment (still waiting for my volume 3 to arrive), but I believed that Cristina Vee's Homura was really good. I will agree with comments about Kyubey's voice though; I really like it.

And lastly:
Quote:
It is a must-see for anyone remotely interested in what anime can accomplish as an art form.

Damn straight. I spent £210 on this series, I display the LEs I do own at the most noticeable point of my collection, I have almost an entire wall dedicated to Madoka posters and I do not regret it one bit.
showroomdummy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

In terms of Madoka's personality, as established throughout the series, that just doesn't work in my eyes. Throughout the entire course of the series she is known for her empathy. She doesn't want to become a magical girl to have a wish fulfilled (well, other than at the end... which took 11 episodes of build-up for her to make an informed decision); she becomes a magical girl because helping people and giving others hope is what she truly wants. She has no aspirations beyond wanting to help others (I could connect with her in a lot of ways, which is why I ended up liking her so much - I could empathize with her desires). spoiler[Even in 3rd timeline, when she requested for Homura to kill her,] she still saw the beauty in the world and wanted to leave it with all of the good things and good memories in mind. That was her true character - seeing the ugly but never wanting to give up the good.

Having her just accept the Mami role KNOWING what she knows makes it seem like she just accepts the system as is and is okay with letting other magical girls give into despair. That would have been a complete last second role reversal, which just would have not made any sense. A pessimistic ending just for the sake of having a pessimistic ending. Now that would have been bad writing.

Last edited by Crisha on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

I have to agree with the others in that would have been a GOD AWFUL ending. It ignores the elephant in the room that Homura has been trying to avoid, that Madoka will become an undefeatable witch that will destroy the earth.

Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Your turn! Explain how I don't understand what happened in the ending. Because I'm fairly certain that I did.

You don't understand why spoiler[Kyouko and Mami "came back to life" (and why Sayaka didn't),] you don't even seem to understand why Madoka made the wish she made. Almost any other wish would have been completely out of character for her.

Quote:
Also, I never once heard anyone speak of a 'Kriemhild Gretchen' in the anime. Can you point me to the episode where this term is used? A time stamp would be lovely as well. Because that just seems like Faust fans sticking their own terms into the show.

Kriemhild Gretchen

Again, you seem to lack a basic understanding of the events of the show, specifically of episodes 10~12

Quote:
@Zac: spoiler[A ray of happiness to turn everything better and bring back her dead friends is soooo much better isn't it?]

And yet, thats not what happened. See previous statements re: Your clues, and lack thereof

Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Having her just accept the Mami role KNOWING what she knows makes it seem like she just accepts the system as is and is okay with letting other magical girls give into despair. That would have been a complete last second role reversal, which just would have not made any sense. A pessimistic ending just for the sake of having a pessimistic ending. Now that would have been bad writing.

spoiler[Entropy still needs to be gathered. And Kyuubey will contract girls without Madoka's help. Are you saying that Madoka would just let those newly contracted magical girls die?] I don't know, she seems too full of empathy as you said.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

You don't understand why spoiler[Kyouko and Mami "came back to life" (and why Sayaka didn't)], you don't even seem to understand why Madoka made the wish she made. Almost any other wish would have been completely out of character for her.

So explain to me why I don't know. You don't base an argument by saying that someone is ignorant. You show them why they are ignorant.

And linking to a wiki page tells me nothing. I'm asking for the anime itself, because you said that it breaks the rules set by the anime, not some supplemental source that has been released afterward.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31