• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Extra Seconds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
animehermit wrote:
It's really hard to get excited about what the Japanese developers are making when so much of the stuff that comes out is garbage.

Pretending as though games being garbage is ONLY endemic to Japan. Sturgeon's Revelation, people.

It's certainly worse in Japan, that's for sure. There was nothing at E3 from Japanese developer that looked interesting.

Watch Dogs, The Last of US and Planetside 2 all look fantastic.

GTA clones and FPS

I can see why you don't like Japanese games. They actually have variety. Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
animehermit wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
animehermit wrote:
It's really hard to get excited about what the Japanese developers are making when so much of the stuff that comes out is garbage.

Pretending as though games being garbage is ONLY endemic to Japan. Sturgeon's Revelation, people.

It's certainly worse in Japan, that's for sure. There was nothing at E3 from Japanese developer that looked interesting.

GTA clones and FPS

I can see why you don't like Japanese games. They actually have variety. Laughing

It makes me wonder why people are so hard on JRPGs all being the same while being okay with Western action games all being the same. Honestly if anything, JRPGs are more different from eachother since their battle systems are always done differently, while every FPS plays the exact same way: Aim and shoot.

It just comes down to personal preference I guess. Japanese like their RPGs and don't like the shooters since they're all the same.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

GTA clones and FPS

You think The Last of US is a GTA clone?

So I'm excited for an MMOFPS with battles on a scale never previously attempted?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

It makes me wonder why people are so hard on JRPGs all being the same while being okay with Western action games all being the same. Honestly if anything, JRPGs are more different from eachother since their battle systems are always done differently, while every FPS plays the exact same way: Aim and shoot.

It just comes down to personal preference I guess. Japanese like their RPGs and don't like the shooters since they're all the same.

JRPGs have so much variety, it's so hard to walk down a hallway and press the "a" button(or x button).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

JRPGs have so much variety, it's so hard to walk down a hallway and press the "a" button(or x button).

How is that any different from some Western action game outside of combat? You run down the halls and click the action button on important things, too.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

How is that any different from some Western action game outside of combat? You run down the halls and click the action button on important things, too.

Not every western game is like that. The 3 games I listed aren't like that at all actually.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I feel I'm getting too old for those types of games anyway. I used to like those action games when I was younger and had better gaming skills, but nowadays I would rather just play slower paced stuff thats turned based or story heavy. I remember loving the original Assassins Creed and then trying to play the 2nd and couldn't get more than an hour into it because of not being interested in the action gameplay.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
lostrune wrote:
animehermit wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
animehermit wrote:

GTA clones and FPS

Not enough guns and shooting I guess.

Story is important for me, so I do tend to favor Japanese games.

animehermit wrote:
You think The Last of US is a GTA clone?

Cover-based third person shooter. Seemed a lot like Gears of War in that demo.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Meh, I feel I'm getting too old for those types of games anyway. I used to like those action games when I was younger and had better gaming skills, but nowadays I would rather just play slower paced stuff thats turned based or story heavy. I remember loving the original Assassins Creed and then trying to play the 2nd and couldn't get more than an hour into it because of not being interested in the action gameplay.

I can see that. There are loads of problems with Assassin's Creed's combat. Mostly because all you have to do is spam the counter button to beat every enemy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Was Tiger & Bunny a success? I can't tell because I'm used to successful anime series inspiring a horde of fans demanding that everyone they know must watch the show, which in turn inspires other fans to claim that said series is overrated garbage. That never happened on a large scale for Tiger & Bunny, but I suppose it must be a success, because now it's getting a PSP game.

Don't judge an anime's success based on how stupid and idiotic the American fanbase act. It was a huge hit.

Forte-sama wrote:
I mean no offense, but you do know that the game isn't "inspired" by Nobunaga's Ambition, right? It's a full-fledged crossover between Pokemon and Nobunaga's Ambition. In fact, the game is only known as Pokemon Conquest in North America. In Japan, the game is actually called "Pokemon + Nobunanga's Ambition".

Not according to Nintendo of America. Nintendo Thought Police will be at your doorstep shortly to correct you on your mistake.

As for games. I've grown out of games in general a bit this generation, but the ones I do play tend to be JRPGs or Nintendo stuff like the Mario/Zelda/Metroid. Don't really like shooters, WRPGs or sandbox games.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

Not enough guns and shooting I guess.

I guess Japanese games don't have shooting. Or guns, or killing people, or even enemies.

lostrune wrote:

Story is important for me, so I do tend to favor Japanese games.

Story is important to me too. I won't defend Gears of War, mostly because it's garbage. I will defend the better western made games though. The Witcher and Mass Effect are really good examples.

lostrune wrote:

Cover-based third person shooter. Seemed a lot like Gears of War in that demo.

Yes, because every cover based third person shooter is Gears of War. It must suck to live in your world, where Uncharted and Mass Effect don't exist. Hell, Vanquish is a cover based 3rd person shooter by a Japanese developer.
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I guess Japanese games don't have shooting. Or guns, or killing people, or even enemies.

Story is important to me too. I won't defend Gears of War, mostly because it's garbage. I will defend the better western made games though. The Witcher and Mass Effect are really good examples.

Yes, because every cover based third person shooter is Gears of War. It must suck to live in your world, where Uncharted and Mass Effect don't exist. Hell, Vanquish is a cover based 3rd person shooter by a Japanese developer.

Strawman. Has nothing to do with enemies Rolling Eyes

Mass Effect had a terrible story. WRPGs always tend to have bad stories since they focus more on player choice than narrative.

Uncharted and Mass Effect are still cover based third person shooters. One with Tomb Raider paint and the other with Star Wars paint. If you don't like that style of gameplay, those games aren't going to change your mind. I'm sick of games where I have to fuse my back to a wall and pop out to shoot every now and then. It's overdone.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
People seem to have incredibly strong opinions about what other people like. Maybe the people who actually enjoy genre X should handle explaining what it is they like about it.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
People seem to have incredibly strong opinions about what other people like. Maybe the people who actually enjoy genre X should handle explaining what it is they like about it.

I mainly just play JRPGs, WRPGs, VNs and Fighters. What I like about the JRPGs and VNs is that they are essentially anime in video game form, and I like the lack of "gameplay" since as I stated earlier, I'm not big on action games.

For WRPGs, I like the exploration and stuff and they usually have less action than others, while having more story focus.

For fighters, they're generally very anime oriented and while they have a lot of action, they're in short bursts instead of the entire game being like that. I do enjoy story modes where the fights don't all happen at once though, like Blazblue.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Thats mainly because E3 is focused on Western developers. Tokyo Game Show is what you want if you want the best of Japanese games... I'm looking a lot more forward to that, since they'll cover the JRPGs and other stuff I prefer to the murder simulators the West constantly puts out now.

They'd have to make a JRPG that's worth playing in order to keep my interest.

Shin Megami Tensei IV and the Soul Hackers port are going to be awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6