Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-01-28


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've thrown my hands in the air and have given up on many a thread because of idiots like that. Although the last time it has happened to me was last year when idiots were defending other idiots for taking Death Note notebooks to school and writing down the names of students and teachers in it along with whatever else they'd been doing.

Meh, both you and I know that there is going to be something different that will come up. And then more parents or schools will find some series that we know of to blame, and then we'll have more very closed minded people defending the stupid kids' actions here on the forums. Something always manages to find it's way into the schools or into somewhere that will have people questioning whether they should allow anime to even exist. I can't wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
MagusGuardian



Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 584
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
this comic reminded me of a few little notes that fade in and out of my mind.
1. there are not-so-nice-people everywhere
2. anime fan's who think licensing titles for printing in the U.S. is ruining anime are just pirates that don't contribute support to the companies be it U.S. or japan
3. stereotypes suck
3. (related to the forum) the term weeaboo, I think really shouldn't be thrown around so loosely cause not everyone who watches anime is one or is mentally unstable
(note: I used the definition of weeaboo made by /b/tards cause the use of the stereotype is basically thrown at anyone who watches anime so I'm actually surprised someone here used it)
fighterholic wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I've thrown my hands in the air and have given up on many a thread because of idiots like that. Although the last time it has happened to me was last year when idiots were defending other idiots for taking Death Note notebooks to school and writing down the names of students and teachers in it along with whatever else they'd been doing.

Meh, both you and I know that there is going to be something different that will come up. And then more parents or schools will find some series that we know of to blame, and then we'll have more very closed minded people defending the stupid kids' actions here on the forums. Something always manages to find it's way into the schools or into somewhere that will have people questioning whether they should allow anime to even exist. I can't wait.
all those incidents were idiotic in my opinion honestly, how many times do people have to point it out to those close minded people that it's Not real and that it's just a show, when it comes to cases of S.A.P (stupid American parents) trying to blame the stupid unguided or unmonitored acts of their children acting out things they shouldn't (examples: kid with the sandbox mimicking naruto incident, all the incidents involving death note replicas) on other things besides the fact that the parent's don't try to watch their children, explain the difference between reality and fantasy, and all in all common sense is deafening. the whole idea of S.A.P blaming all the crap going on in the united states on other things other then the obvious is simply idiotic, so to that I say fix the front door before the front porch

[EDIT: Do not double-post. Use the "Edit" button instead.~Zalis]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trescaballeros



Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 71
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
These kinds of people are exactly what makes me fly off my handle...not more than once did I cross virtual swords with them; only, the ones that I encountered had better grammar and much better argumentative styles, but just as blindly fanatical to their being Japanese audio purists. I do have to concede that I had "lost teh intarwebz" to them when I voiced my exasperation and one of them replied "typical of you, running away when losing".

Last edited by trescaballeros on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Contributor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3728
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
This comic makes me happy inside. Especially the last panel. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Arx7arbalest



Joined: 04 Jul 2007
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
I just love the reasoning of these people. Regardless of how much the anime industry is making people like that actually try justifying piracy. Let's all steal PS3s and large flat screen TV because the evil corporations are charging so much. I guess these people are so deep in their parents basements that they can't identify a crime when they commit it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
For some reason, it makes me wonder if they never learned to type without looking, as if they're searching for each individual key, which could make it seem like typing properly is too much effort.
No, that's not the reason. I've never really learned how to type without looking at the damn keyboard and I still manage to create half-decent prose.

Anyway, my only complaint is that I'm pretty far from that nut Kevin was arguing with, but I could easily have an avvy like that. Don't hate on we who love such avatars! A loli avatar doesn't make you a jerk! Wink

I love to point this out to Mr. I Won On The Internet but when someone gives up arguing with you, it doesn't mean you won. Actually, it means you have the mind of a brick wall, as in the old saying about how it's pointless to argue with a brick wall. You didn't win, everyone else just decided to stop wasting their time debating mindless granite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ai no Kareshi



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Posts: 561
Location: South Africa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I love to point this out to Mr. I Won On The Internet but when someone gives up arguing with you, it doesn't mean you won. Actually, it means you have the mind of a brick wall, as in the old saying about how it's pointless to argue with a brick wall. You didn't win, everyone else just decided to stop wasting their time debating mindless granite.

What I find really annoying is when this is used the other way around. People post their blind assertions and as soon as you counter them with some real arguments, they get "tired" and "give up on you", effectively framing you as the stubborn ass.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber
Moderator


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2972
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
I love to point this out to Mr. I Won On The Internet but when someone gives up arguing with you, it doesn't mean you won. Actually, it means you have the mind of a brick wall, as in the old saying about how it's pointless to argue with a brick wall. You didn't win, everyone else just decided to stop wasting their time debating mindless granite.

What I find really annoying is when this is used the other way around. People post their blind assertions and as soon as you counter them with some real arguments, they get "tired" and "give up on you", effectively framing you as the stubborn ass.


Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On a side note, this comic reminds me of an amusing thread I encountered on the WoW boards. Amusing in that makes-you-want-to-kill-yourself way. A guy kept on ignoring people's arguments, and essentially said "No, I am right you are wrong. I am the sole decider of right and wrongness you so you are wrong."

Those were almost his exact words. I'm still not sure how serious the guy was. I hope and pray he was just trolling and making a bad joke, but part of me is frightened and certain that he was serious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Loved how Robin used ANN's layout, although she understandably made some of the text bigger to aid in readability. I wonder how she incorporated the ANN layout into the comic, and also if those join dates are significant in any way.

And I see that Kevin is a Gurren Lagann fan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 5033
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
This comic reminded me of when I first learned the lesson of the futility of trying to "win" on the internet. When I first started using the web as a young teen, I used to hang out at "religious teen message boards" on AOL. Just imagine being a 13-year-old trying to break up a fight between a Jesus Freak and a Wiccan with "You're both wrong!" and think that you're somehow saving ythe world by doing it.... Crying or Very sad

Just...a bad idea. Man, the things I said and did back then.... Embarassed I'm still ashamed of it.

So that character reminded me of me way before I ever even knew what anime was. And it was still funny! Way to go, Robin!

(which doesn't mean I never get into online arguments thinking "I can win this and change the other person's views forever!" I think it's just a message board using hazard...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roy9076



Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 286
Location: California
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 am Reply with quote
Winning on the internet is as worthwhile as wasting time. I remember when I wanted to "win" an argument on the internet, but then again, it was on an online game and gaming fourms back in the dial up days when it was all the rage. Good old days... except... it continues. WHAT DID I HELP CREATE?!

Also, LOL neckbeard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:07 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
What I find really annoying is when this is used the other way around. People post their blind assertions and as soon as you counter them with some real arguments, they get "tired" and "give up on you", effectively framing you as the stubborn ass.
Yeah, I've seen that too though not as much. People should at least try to counter a counter-argument before just "giving up."

Still, if it gets the trollish fool to leave. . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 14093
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
But... but, Daisuke is too hard to pronounce!!!


Not anymore with "Dice-K" Matsuzaka in BoSox. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9321
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Arx7arbalest wrote:
I just love the reasoning of these people. Regardless of how much the anime industry is making people like that actually try justifying piracy. Let's all steal PS3s and large flat screen TV because the evil corporations are charging so much. I guess these people are so deep in their parents basements that they can't identify a crime when they commit it.


If only stealing those things were as easy as pirating media.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steroid



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 329
Location: At home, where all good hikikomori should be
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
So is Kevin going to agree to not buy from US Anime Zone? Is he going to work for faithful translations to anime instead of those that will make the most money? Because if he's not, and he lost the argument, then that makes him far worse than anything the other guy could do. I do this all the time and I can't stand it. If you can't counter the other person's argument, you have to agree with it, and you have to live with it as true. The only thing that matters in this world is being right.

And US Anime Zone does do bad translations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group