• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Lollipop Chainsaw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
To be honest, isn't the point of this game to be intentionally crass and over-the-top?

And there are so many games like that, I fully expect a reviewer to mention how well that goes. Bayonetta, Shadows of the Damned, No More Heroes, Oneechanbara, etc. etc. ALL channel that over-the-top pastiche vibe. There's self-aware parody of the usual tropes, and there's mindless pandering; not everything crass and over-the-top is created equal.
Super Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
[off topic. This post had nothing to do with Lollipop Chainsaw or the review of Lollipop Chainsaw. See this post to understand why it was deleted.]
Blarmb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was a very even-handed review, that handled the gender issues issue with more more skill than we usually see out of the gaming community. It showed that reviewer had a depth of awareness of the issues that goes a beyond what I'd expect out of someone picking up this type of product.

Haven't having played, but having watched a let's play video of the game I feel it's mostly accurate. The game is self-aware I think, but not quite self aware enough to not give it a problematic feel.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Killer 7 was awesome.

That is all I have to say on this thread.
Asuron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
daveriley wrote:
Basically: if you don't want to participate in a grown-up conversation, then don't. If all you want to do is come in here and wave your arms and say "shut up shut up shut up shut up!" why should I give a fudge about what you have to say?

Funny how that summarizes your own wall of text pretty nicely. Laughing

Complaining that there aren't any good female characters that represent you in gaming falls into the same category of complaining about toys as the "DON'T TAKE MEH BEWBS AWAY" caricature that you've slammed me with. It's not a political issue, it's not an issue of sexism, it's that companies aren't providing you with the content you want. There are ways to go about addressing that rather than screaming "Sexist!" in all caps. I'm actually all for having good female protagonists in gaming, but your attitude really sucks. So does the attitude of many people with similar complaints, unfortunately.

You know how the gaming culture wants itself to be taken seriously?
That's not gonna happen if people can't discuss aspects of games that they find unappealing. Your attitude makes this impossible, because how can we treat games as a serious medium in any way shape or form, if people like you always want to deflect discussion away from the hard topics, especially when its completely relevant to the game in question.

Grow up and games will be the better for it. Or you could instead choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore the issues around you because they are too hard to deal with. Take your pick
silentjay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that the particular boss mentioned also runs away and/or hides when directly confronted by Juliet. The design of that encounter, plus the writing by James Gunn (who knows better), shows that it wasn't a happy accident.

I know some folks at Grasshopper, and they aren't a "bunch of immature dudes who really like slinging profanity around."
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I enjoyed this game. I was in the mood for something that didn't take itself seriously and was just dumb fun, and this game delivered. It's definitely more of a game that one plays in bursts though. And I will say that I actually appreciated having the better combos delayed for as long as they were since it reminded me more of older hack n' slash games that required multiple playthroughs to get at the good stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6