• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Publishing Licenses Itazura Na Kiss

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I like the sound of this, but I hate unfinished series...so I won't be picking this one up
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I like the sound of this, but I hate unfinished series...so I won't be picking this one up

Actually, from what I'd read in this news article the anime at least will have a conclusion, one that was the original creator's own vision, remembered by her husband.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
As a 23-volumes-and-still-never-finished series, I'm also a little hesitant. But, it is a classic and a standard for its genre, so as a big fan of shoujo manga, I think it's pretty awesome to have a chance at reading this series in English. I'd definitely like to check it out.

Also, having never been even slightly interested in anything DMP has released in the past, this took me rather by surprise. It's an interesting choice for their first(?) venture into shoujo manga territory.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The anime is already finished and it did indeed have an ending which was said to be based off what the mangaka had originally planned. It wasn't too much of a surprising ending, so I think picking up the manga and then looking at the anime (or just reading what happens in the anime) will resolve things well enough.

I'd definitely be interested in checking this out, though it is a tad long for my liking. However, it still has the nice touch of telling spoiler[what happens to them after they get married, instead of having the wedding be the ending.]
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Its not really their first foray into shojo. They released Princess Princess, which is considered shojo, not BL. And I think they released another couple shojo-ish titles (the titles excape me at the moment, Revolution something is one of them).

This excited me because even though it is technically "not finished", it is still a timeless love story. The anime closes the series beautifully and hopefully we will see a license for this as well this year, as a companion piece to the manga.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I checked out the anime and absolutely loved it, so I'll count myself as in for this manga release! It may be a lot of volumes, but at least with all the volumes being already completed, there won't be long waits between volumes (hopefully!).
lys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Its not really their first foray into shojo. They released Princess Princess, which is considered shojo, not BL. And I think they released another couple shojo-ish titles (the titles excape me at the moment, Revolution something is one of them).

Thanks for clarifying :D I wasn't sure myself, I just knew that they weren't really a company I thought of as publishing "typical" shoujo series, so I wondered if this might be a move into a new market for them. I'll be looking forward to this November!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
What I want to know is, if DMP is healthy enough to be licensing a new title, will they be putting some of their previously delayed titles back on schedule?
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see how well this does. Both the art and story are quite dated. I wouldn't really expect the story to go over well with a Western audience.
Emichan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I am very excited about this, as Itazura na Kiss is one of my favorite manga series Smile And yes, even though it is technically unfinished, I really don't think it ends in a bad place. I know I wasn't left unsatisfied at the end, just sad that there wouldn't be more Smile
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I have read a bit of the manga and seen all the live action versions plus the anime. Though the manga was never finishd the storyline that was done covers A LOT of ground spanning many years. Potential readers don't need to worry that you will be left with a crazy cliff hanger at the end.

What surprises me about this license isn't that it's an unfinished work it's the art. This is a very old work and it shows. It looks very bare bones, swiggly and undefined. I supposed if the license was very cheap this makes sense. Otherwise I think the art work will turn off too many modern manga readers for this series to be a success.
liannesentar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! ITAZURA NA KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISS!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I am currious, if the manga was never finished, what will Digital Manga Publishing do after the last volume that was published (volume 23)? Assuming that is at least three-four years from now though.

I am not a fan of Shojo, but personally, I wouldn't want to collect a series that is literally unfinished.
i cast fira

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I've heard this series is very good. I will be very excited to pick it up when it is released!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. I hope we get more non-conventional Shueisha titles from other publishers-like Golden Boy. 8-)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2