• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ami HIGASAYAMA (no Kanji, no roles) is a misreading of Tsugumi HIGASAYAMA and should be removed from the database.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Ami HIGASAYAMA (no Kanji, no roles) is a misreading of Tsugumi HIGASAYAMA and should be removed from the database.

When I first started fixing names I had exactly the same thought as you do. However, later I learned that merged names can't be separated (or, not with a sh*tload of work), thus "misread but legitimate" names should NOT be merged into the "correct" name, in case a new cast/staff happens to have the "misread" name. Just leave it there; it shouldn't bother you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I found that entry because a German anime database used that entry as reference for their wrong but still active entry for a seiyuu, and editing their content requires a validation for each entry by some staff (review-then-commit), and this staff uses ANN as their trustworthy reference for validating any changes... so I have to explain them why you don't remove wrong entries before I can fix these in their content.
If entry 35783 at least had an auto-forwarding to entry 3171 (like many other entries do) I would be fine with that, for they accepted this kind of fix in other cases already...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Minoru AOYAMA (no Kanji, 3 roles including "Watchmaker" in Haibane Renmei) is a misreading of Yutaka AOYAMA (青山 穣, 30+ roles including "Clockhouse owner" in Haibane Renmei). Source for pronunciation: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/青山穣
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Well, I found that entry because a German anime database used that entry as reference for their wrong but still active entry for a seiyuu, and editing their content requires a validation for each entry by some staff (review-then-commit), and this staff uses ANN as their trustworthy reference for validating any changes... so I have to explain them why you don't remove wrong entries before I can fix these in their content.

Guess it's time to send out our German-speaking Encyclopedist to teach them a lesson negotiate with them. Twisted Evil

Devil Doll wrote:
If entry 35783 at least had an auto-forwarding to entry 3171 (like many other entries do) I would be fine with that, for they accepted this kind of fix in other cases already...

A problem is that, such "auto-forwarding" (we call it "merging") is irreversible, and doing so would forbid the existence of Ami Higasayama in the future. While "Higasayama" is a rather rare family name, your following example provides a very good reason for me not to merge i.e. auto-forward them:

Devil Doll wrote:
Minoru AOYAMA (no Kanji, 3 roles including "Watchmaker" in Haibane Renmei) is a misreading of Yutaka AOYAMA (青山 穣, 30+ roles including "Clockhouse owner" in Haibane Renmei). Source for pronunciation: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/青山穣

You see, Minoru, Yutaka, and family name Aoyama are all quite common, and if I merge #35620 into #18713 now, what if someday a "Minoru Aoyama" pops out as a new seiyū or staff? Thus "Minoru Aoyama" has to be kept, despite of not having any credit at all. I've already moved all credits to Yutaka Aoyama, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
You see, Minoru, Yutaka, and family name Aoyama are all quite common, and if I merge #35620 into #18713 now, what if someday a "Minoru Aoyama" pops out as a new seiyū or staff? Thus "Minoru Aoyama" has to be kept, despite of not having any credit at all. I've already moved all credits to Yutaka Aoyama, though.

Dormcat,
Do you have a special procedure of moving all credits from one person to another, apart from one-by-one-entering-the-correct-information-for-the-correct-person-and-setting-the-wrong-entry-to-false-technique?
There are a lot of duplicates which I can handle myself in that case. Just not looking forward to the work. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
Do you have a special procedure of moving all credits from one person to another, apart from one-by-one-entering-the-correct-information-for-the-correct-person-and-setting-the-wrong-entry-to-false-technique?

Oh come on, you'd think I'd tell you this technique in public? Check your PM. Wink
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
It's a secret technique passed down by generations of Encyclopedia Editors that can only be achieved through the experience of years of wading through spam entries, typos, mistranslations, hearsay, rumors and overzealous contributors. Once you have mastered it, you can draw on the secret power of Ultra Encyclopedia Editor X!

Or so goes the legend.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Then produce a cross-platform (anime, manga, light novel, games, coupled with figures, wall scrolls, drama CD, fan disks, 1:1-sized pillows, etc, etc.) franchise for Encyclopedia Editors!

Sorry I asked too much. How about an episode of Anime News Nina? Razz
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Devil Doll wrote:
So you say that despite persons are being addressed by number, their name is actually their primary key internally? And the #35620 entry cannot even get any text content such as "this entry is a placeholder for the time being, and by the way, don't use this entry if you actually mean person #18713" that could be removed once any real Minoru Aoyama popped up?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
So you say that despite persons are being addressed by number, their name is actually their primary key internally?

I don't know the very details of the database design, nor am I sure if it is okay to tell you everything I know about the system. I'll leave the question to Dan.

Devil Doll wrote:
And the #35620 entry cannot even get any text content such as "this entry is a placeholder for the time being, and by the way, don't use this entry if you actually mean person #18713" that could be removed once any real Minoru Aoyama popped up?

It might be reasonable for people like you who are aware of the problem, but such comment would be extremely awkward for whoever bumped to that entry. In the mean time I suggest everyone submit Japanese cast/staff with their kanji name if possible.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
What about people who change their true name and have credits for both names in different releases... that's what the auto-forwarding is actually meant for, I assume? Don't they provide the same problem once another person with the same name appears?

And how/where do I report a case of such name change, e. g. for Yuki HOKIMOTO (whose name is now Yuki MIZUNA)?

Last edited by Devil Doll on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
What about people who change their true name and have credits for both names in different releases... that's what the auto-forwarding is actually meant for, I assume?

In such cases, the 2 people are merged. You can see that on the person's page. This is for example what happened recently with Alison Viktorin aka Alison Retzloff (maiden name / husband's name).

Devil Doll wrote:
Don't they provide the same problem once another person with the same name appears?

Sometimes you have two people with the same name; we then try to specify who is who, e.g. Junko Sasaki (color designer) and Junko Sasaki (manga artist).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
Devil Doll wrote:
What about people who change their true name and have credits for both names in different releases... that's what the auto-forwarding is actually meant for, I assume?

In such cases, the 2 people are merged. You can see that on the person's page. This is for example what happened recently with Alison Viktorin aka Alison Retzloff (maiden name / husband's name).

Erm, not exactly. Guess it's time to clear things up.

There are two types of merging: one is a "replacement" merge, the other is an "alias" merge. In a "replacement" merge, everything from "name A" will be moved under "name B." "Name A" will cease to exist, and any future attempt to submit a credit of "name A" will be redirected to "name B" automatically. This method is applied ONLY when "name A" is a clear misspelling, such as "Jane Dooe" (misspelled) Arrow "Jane Doe" (correct). Any future attempt to enter "Jane Dooe" will be redirected to "Jane Doe" automatically. Note that this procedure is IRREVERSIBLE.

An "alias" merge is that, when the person changes name due to whatever reason (marriage, new stage/pen names, etc.), the old one will be marked as an alias ("also known as") of the new one. Example: "Jane Doe" becomes "Jane Smith" after her marriage, so when you click on Jane Doe's link it redirects you to Jane Smith. However, all her previous credits under the name "Jane Doe" are still intact. As far as I know, this "alias" linkage can be unlinked if necessary.

Now, in the case of Minoru and Yutaka Aoyama, the first method shouldn't apply, for I don't want to destroy the name "Minoru Aoyama." The second method doesn't apply either, as 青山穣 has never been called as "Minoru Aoyama." It would show up as Yutaka Aoyama is also known as "Minoru Aoyama," which is NOT true.

I know those limitations and my answers might not be satisfactory to you, but before Dan can rewrite the system this is all I can do at this moment.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
There are two types of merging: one is a "replacement" merge, the other is an "alias" merge. In a "replacement" merge, everything from "name A" will be moved under "name B." "Name A" will cease to exist, and any future attempt to submit a credit of "name A" will be redirected to "name B" automatically. This method is applied ONLY when "name A" is a clear misspelling, such as "Jane Dooe" (misspelled) Arrow "Jane Doe" (correct). Any future attempt to enter "Jane Dooe" will be redirected to "Jane Doe" automatically. Note that this procedure is IRREVERSIBLE.

I can understand why you're so hesitant to do these now. However, I've got one thought on the matter, which I'm pretty sure you've said before: a person could show up later, and really be named Jane Dooe. So if you have Jane Doe with 100 credits and Jane Dooe with 1, and you know that the submitter meant Jane Doe on that 1 credit, wouldn't it be safer to move that one credit and say "Jane Dooe as Character A in Anime B = FALSE?" That way, when Jane Dooe breaks into the scene in five years, she won't have to be known as "Jane Dooe (2)" on ANN. I know that is probably a lot of work... Maybe it's time to add JackCox as an editor Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I can understand why you're so hesitant to do these now. However, I've got one thought on the matter, which I'm pretty sure you've said before: a person could show up later, and really be named Jane Dooe. So if you have Jane Doe with 100 credits and Jane Dooe with 1, and you know that the submitter meant Jane Doe on that 1 credit, wouldn't it be safer to move that one credit and say "Jane Dooe as Character A in Anime B = FALSE?" That way, when Jane Dooe breaks into the scene in five years, she won't have to be known as "Jane Dooe (2)" on ANN.

Maybe "Doe" and "Dooe" is not the best example. Two more often types of such spelling problems are 1) the long vowel in Japanese and 2) Hepburn or Kunrei romanization.

DerekTheRed wrote:
I know that is probably a lot of work... Maybe it's time to add JackCox as an editor Smile

That would be the day when I retire from this site. As far as I know, even EmperorBrandon and woelfie don't have the clearance to merge names yet, and there are many more eligible users like doc-watson42 and Shiroi Hane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 144