• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Duplicate Persons.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
A new record for number of names with the same kanji?

I see I have credits under Shosuke, which according to my personal order of operations, means that I was unable to find any evidence of a correct pronunciation and simply selected the one with the most previous credits.

I'll take another look though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I went for Shosuke for the same reason after a minimal amount of research. It's one of those things that comes up in the middle of doing something else complex so if I didn't at least make a post, it would just get lost again.

For such a long list of works there's very little where I can put my hand on a disc with English credits, and most of those is stuff like a key animator on a FUNimation show where it may not be translated at all, and not necessarily reliably if it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Dupe. Merge to Here.

Dupe that needs deletion.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Open and shut (on the assumption that "st" is considered part of the surname at least) so merged.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Merge Sean Thornton to → Kirk Thornton.

dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
UseY0ur1llusi0n wrote:
Merge Sean Thornton to → Kirk Thornton.

The duplicate has been fixed, but I'm not 100% sure about the "Sean" alias. Record shows the "evidence" that Sean and Kirk are the same person came from Wikipedia back in October 2006; the current Wikipedia page no longer states them the same. And guess what? The Wikipedia page was edited by an old regular of ANN back then. Wink
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Of the three Sean Thornton roles, only one is listed at http://kirkthornton.com/KIRKTHORNTON.COM/VO_Resume.html - however, we have that role down as both Sean and Kirk Thornton.

We also have both Sean Thornton and Sparky Thornton (and thus Kirk Thornton) credited for Masami Eiri - I'm 99% certain that the Lain credits did not assign roles (at least for the Pioneer DVDs) but I can check to see who was listed.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure if I even saw "Sean Thornton" in any titles I've seen. I think he was usually credited as "Sparky Thornton", with perhaps "Sean Thornton" being a rare alias (though in which exact titles, I don't know) that got mistaken as his real name and thus listed on stuff the name didn't appear.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
with perhaps "Sean Thornton" being a rare alias (though in which exact titles, I don't know)

Ok, doing some research, I see that Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie and Black Jack are indeed those rare titles (they are at least the only ones noted for Sean Thornton on CrystalAcids). He is credited in both as "Sean Thornton" (neither to role: they were identified by ear), but only up to episode 6 in Black Jack. The last four episodes were a later dubbed production, and in those he is credited as "Sparky Thornton". Though Kirk Thornton acknowledges the role on his website, he is not actually credited as Kirk in any episode.

CrystalAcids shows him as being credited as Sparky Thornton in Serial Experiments Lain, which is probably correct, but I will need to find Pioneer's credits to confirm. FUNimation's streams just have the Japanese credits.

In any case, Sean Thornton should be connected as an alias to Kirk Thornton, but the capitalization needs to be corrected.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
I have the Pioneer DVDs. It might be time to go through all the credits and definitively sort out that weird "Selece Zann" entry.
No, wait... I already did. Sparky Thornton is also in those screenshots, for two episodes at least. As I thought, no roles.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
More than one person has the name 森山剛史: Tsuyoshi Moriyama, Takeshi Moriyama

atwiki has it as Takeshi. Tasks from the atwiki page are on both Takeshi and Tsuyoshi's entry.
UseY0ur1llusi0n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I should've been more clear.

I already confirmed with Kirk on Facebook that it's him, Sean Thornton was one of his "rarer" one-off aliases he used for fun because it's his son's birth name (who goes by the name "Sparky", a common alias Kirk used). I could've sworn I already posted a screencap pointing this out in an earlier error report, but I'll leave it here again anyway.

What I find most odd, is that "Sean Thornton" was somehow assumed to be Kirk's birth name. I have no idea where this misinformation sprouted from, but it's indeed incorrect. It seems Imdb and various Wiki's have had it wrong for the longest time up until now, and sadly, the former still refuses to correct it. Maybe if we get multiple people in here to help submit an update they'll do something about it then.

BTW, while we're on the topic of Thornton, here's another bungled entry that needs to be deleted.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
So I stumbled upon this page and apparently Claudia Lenz is an alias for Eden Riegel and not Danielle Judovits as most might believed.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Yuki SAITO
Clearly a few people here:
6 seiyuu/singer roles
15 animator roles
3 production staff roles

Once I've finished doing what I'm doing now I'll do some more digging (if I remember)

Damn you, Japanese equivalent of John Smith. 6 years on, and the animator credits have exploded.

Voice: 斉藤由貴
Animator(s): 齊藤裕紀, 齋藤友希, 斉藤友希, 齊藤友貴(wrong?), possibly more...
Production: 齋藤朱里, 斉藤友紀, 齋藤有紀

We should probably split out the Voice person and leave all the animation and production credits until we get a full disambiguation.

Also, I think there really should really be some Yuki Saitō and some Yūki Saitō.

Also also, I think 齊 is an old character and is written 斉 in this brave new world?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Also also, I think 齊 is an old character and is written 斉 in this brave new world?

Wiktionary seems to think so:

Quote:
(uncommon “Hyōgai” kanji, kyūjitai kanji, shinjitai form 斉)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 88 of 144