• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Everything Old Ain't New Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, your vocabulary must be enormous, Answerman. It's probably because I'm Dutch, but I never, not even ONCE, heard of words like vicissitude or pulchritude (that one was a few columns ago).

... Do I need to include words like these in my English vocabulary or just forget them? I don't want to feel stupid because I cannot understand everything, but sometimes I'm too lazy to look it up in a dictionary.

Last edited by A Mystery on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
... Do I need to include these words in my English vocabulary or just forget them? I don't want to feel stupid because I cannot understand everything, but sometimes I'm too lazy to look it up in a dictionary.

Speaking as somebody who has used words like that and 'worse' in cold blood, I can safely say that you can safely forget them. They're a lot of fun for some of us, but the median English speaker won't know what to make of or bother with such magniloquent sesquipedalian loquacity. In fact, some of them might become very annoyed at you for it. Of course, over here all that a foreigner needs to be able to say are, "where is the bathroom," and, "The United States of American is the greatest nation that God has ever put on Earth."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
In fact, A Mystery, despite the vast quantity of words in the English language - take at look at an unabridged Oxford English Dictionary sometime - most Americans only use about 500 words. It's called "The New Jersey 500," although now I of course can't lay my hand on the book I read that in...
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I find it laughable that nextgen consoles will be released next year. Nintendo's offering was just plain awful, I have no faith in Sony, and Microsoft, well...
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
@ Surrender Artist & Princess_Irene: Thanks for the fun replies. I feel less dumb now. In a way, it's quite impressive that people can get by in life with only 500 words they commonly use.
(About the bathroom: I sometimes think I can look for it myself, but it can be a bit embarassing if you open the wrong doors Wink)

The only AMV's I like are the funny ones or they have to be extremely well made.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
But another problem is that, for a lot of older OAV titles, the masters and original materials for these titles are often in terrible shape, to the point that they would basically be considered unreleasable without a proper remaster. And chances are, the original Japanese license holders won't bother to clean them up themselves (unless they have their own plans to rerelease them, which is rare), and the expense of remastering an oddball OAV title or two is just out of the budget for something like this.

That's not totally true. A fair number of older and less important OVAs I've come across have had exceptional clean-ups, definitely HD remastered but with no BD (Devilman OVA, BAOH, Desert Rose, Cleopatra DC, etc). And even if not that level of quality, there's still acceptable DVD quality like Lemnear, Dragon Century, and Exper Zenon. So the quality isn't the massive issue, being able to even compile the shows together is. You've seen those horror/sci-fi movie packs, Brian, some of the films are in awful condition there too. It's about the number of shows, not the quality.

The other issue here when not talking about the boxsets directly, there is a growing number of older anime coming out on BluRay or remastered on DVD that we're just not getting over here, even for popular titles like Gundam and Patlabor. That's a big shame.

yeah, but those "horror/scifi" movie packs are usually public domain films, or films that the DVD company bought the rights to from a bankruptcy auction for sometimes as little as one dollar.

even for an "older" OAV title, the usual licensing fees still apply. that means you'd need to meet a certain, specific quota of sales numbers. also, i think Patlabor is "well regarded" perhaps, but "popular" it is not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It's called "The New Jersey 500," although now I of course can't lay my hand on the book I read that in...

You really shouldn't repeat such slurs without attribution.

And "pulchritude" shouldn't be a difficult word, if you remember your Latin, "puella pulchra" and all that.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
"Terrible Robotech novels"?

*sniffle*

I actually own all of those novels, and the novels based on the actual episodes and the Sentinels volumes were books I enjoyed reading during junior high and high school (late 1980s and early 1990s). The End of the Circle came out while I was in high school, and the remaining novels were released when I was in college.

OK, I give you that the Sentinels material and The End of the Circle can be a little weird, and that the remaining books released those weren't as good, but... they're still a major part of my formative teen years and they bring me nostalgia. Yes, I admit that I'm looking at them through the lenses of nostalgia.

The "terrible Robotech novels" quip aside, though, good column this week. The question about the OAVs seems rather timely, considering the 3-part licensing series published by ANN this week. Like you, I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that these older OAVs will probably never see the light of day again.

I walked away from anime in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and came back in the late 2000s (with some exposure to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! through my kids in the early 2000s), so I know I missed out on a lot of gems (which get referenced a bit in Mike Toole's column). Sadly, I know that for many of these OAVs and long-lost series, I will probably never have an opportunity to see them legally.

I own most of those Robotech novels myself; some of which I bought in France when I was a teenager in the early 90's as well as all 3 1st editions of the Gundam novels translated by Frederik L. Schodt! Very Happy

As for light novels, I definitely wouldn't have any problems buying them if they were available for a reasonable price on Amazon or Kobo AND also available for purchase via the UK Kindle Store as well as the UK Kobo Store (Unlike Viz Media who doesn't seem to want my money when it comes to buying their e-manga and Viz Europe is a bloody joke altogether, but that's another story for a later time)

If Gundam AGE ever came out in dub form, I would definitely watch it and buy some of the toys as well. After all, if the Little Battlers anime can get a English dub (along with the videogame and robot toy that came with the Japanese version hopefully), why can't Gundam AGE have some of the toys come out in the West?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If Gundam AGE ever came out in dub form, I would definitely watch it and buy some of the toys as well.

Really? Given how AGE has been taking flack with it's supposed....backwardsness when it comes to women, I thought you woild at least hold a large disdain for it.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Hah, that one AMV I keep remembering but can never find properly I was able to find!

I can never remember the lyrics properly, and all I got was the tune, but my google-fu pulled through!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSAYvMQWIXc

I hadn't seen that before but I like this parody:

http://www.thefinalact.net/videos/frames_o.html
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
even for an "older" OAV title, the usual licensing fees still apply. that means you'd need to meet a certain, specific quota of sales numbers. also, i think Patlabor is "well regarded" perhaps, but "popular" it is not.

That's essentially why I made my main example specifically focused on anime movies made by Toei that were based on Shonen Jump titles. It would make licensing somewhat easier, since they're all from one company, and even if the titles themselves don't have too much clout or familiarity over here, the Jump name itself does, which gives them at least "something extra" that most other productions won't necessarily have.

First have proof that the idea might work by using something that has some identifiable name behind it, like the Jump name, and if it does in fact work then you can start going for the more "random" and obscure stuff.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
If Gundam AGE ever came out in dub form, I would definitely watch it and buy some of the toys as well.

Really? Given how AGE has been taking flack with it's supposed....backwardsness when it comes to women, I thought you woild at least hold a large disdain for it.

I've only noticed a few people here on the forums talking about it, I can easily ignore them since I see nothing sexiest or backwards with how they treat women.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
only LN id be interested in getting is the Kino no tabi ones.

I agree wholeheartedly!

(Though if you can't tell from my avatar, I'm also dying to read a professional English translation of the Baccano! and Durarara!! light novels. Laughing)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And if you can't sell toys, what's the point of bringing over something as acutely kid-focused as Gundam AGE? I think the decision to put English subtitles on Gundam AGE is particularly telling. I mean, if ever there was a show that begged to get a dub and airtime on Cartoon Network or The Hub or Nickelodeon, Gundam AGE is it.

Well, after Toonami, now they can, so it's just a matter of, "Will they do it?"

Quote:
I think the real bummer is that we were teased with the possibility of finally seeing a release for Turn A Gundam,

Not just Turn A, Double Zeta.

Quote:
But until that time - until Bandai somehow gets the crazy notion that they can sell toys in the West again - again I have to give the standard resigned answer of sorrow; we'll get what we get, and that'll have to suffice.

My feeling is Sunrise notices they can do business here without Bandai, so they'll probably try to sell more Gundam through a different R1 licensor. They probably get a cut of the toy revenue, too, but their bread and butter is clearly home video. So being shut off from our market, just because their boss his mind, is counterproductive. If you see Amazon sales ranks, 0079 did make money here. There is a new audience for the product since Wing, even if it's not as big as it was in the 2000s. But Bandai Visual doesn't like the idea of people shunning overpriced DVDs and BDs, so they decided to punish their profitable and stable American division and put the blame on them, rather than their short-sighted business decisions. I really hope there's an investor uprising over that one, and they force the current management to resign.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I've only noticed a few people here on the forums talking about it, I can easily ignore them since I see nothing sexiest or backwards with how they treat women.

Then you must be completely blind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4