• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part I: Life Finds A Way

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Good show guys. Every now and then I am forced to remember when Mike was first on ANN and I hated him. Now I enjoy hearing his insight! Glad he was on.

Not anime related, but I am shocked Truman Show got a mention. I was mocked relentlessly the year that came out, because I felt it was an amazing movie. My family and friends felt it was a "stupid chick flick". If I recall, it was the only movie that year that I really liked. I'm not a huge movie fan. I generally prefer longer stories.

I wonder if anyone has ever told Zac he sounds a bit Tenchi-ish? Hearing him kind of "poo poo" Tenchi Muyo kind of made me laugh.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Great show! I love '90s anime, and I always enjoy hearing Justin gush about Please Save My Earth. I completely agree with his opinion on it. I really loved Cardcaptor Sakura being mentioned, too, and Fushigi Yuugi. I love the girly stuff. I look forward to the top 5.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
hey hey, coincidentally I just finished up the "1990's" in my post count. And here is post 2000. Worthy subject.

I can understand it but I do not like the relegation of Tenchi to "sentimental" pile of shows you can "only enjoy at the time." It is still the best harem series ever made. The girls have reasons for liking him, he has reasons for being freaked out by the girls and good reasons for having his detached personality that every other harem show writer translated as "bland." The plot is very interesting, the cast is varied and ends up giving everyone great personalities of their own and for a light-hearted show like this, very effective depth.
And that "light-hearted" aspect is what's so great about it, it mixes bits of action, complex world building, depth of characters, and keeps it a light romantic comedy.

I looked at "my anime" and determined that it would be my #1 show of the decade.

I don't twitter but if asnyone is curious about the other of my top three it would be #2 Whisper of the Heart and#3 Cowboy Bebop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
It's the best dub performance possibly in anime history.

Well, my need to finally see Macross Plus just spiked, as a fan of good dubbing. Yay for well-dubbed silliness. (The comment about ADV's understanding of comedy is VERY true, and not just to ADV, but unfortunately to a lot of anime dubs. Yelling =/= comedy.) So now I REALLY wanna check it out. ^O^

Zac wrote:
That movie [Adolescence of Utena] is like Baby's First Abstraction.

Nnnnnnnnnnnngh, I would combat that. I think the one thing you all are forgetting is that you saw that movie after seeing the TV series, right? Now you can pretend you're going into that movie blind and can still "get it all," but 39 episodes of that TV show and the backdrop to it have still nestled into your brain and reeeeeeeeeally help establish a baseline for character motivation and a lot of the key themes. The basic metaphors like the infamous car scene and all dem roses, yeah sure, of course that's simple if you apply even a little thought.

But the big picture? And the barely established side characters and "antagonist" (he's not, really,) are distractions left over from the original story that reeeeeally screw with the uninitiated.

Visually and on a basic level, yes the movie does stand alone, absolutely. If nothing else, it is a mind-blowing art piece. *As far as understanding it,* the fact that you saw that TV show first really helps. It doesn't stand alone narratively at all, and partly symbolically, because it borrows elements from that TV show without context. If it were to stand alone, honestly, the part of Akio should have been written out and several of those side characters given more purpose/context for their actions.

It's a beautiful film, I really like it, but...pretty much only visually. It's shorthand for a better, deeper, and obviously much longer TV show. I really would not show it to anyone who hadn't seen that TV series.

Well, okay, I did that once, but it was for comedy purposes. ^^; I would not expect anyone who hasn't seen that show to claim to understand it or pick on them for being pretty lost.
HandGrave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't quite catch the films name. Anyone care to help me out?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Justin wrote:

Well, my need to finally see Macross Plus just spiked, as a fan of good dubbing. Yay for well-dubbed silliness. (The comment about ADV's understanding of comedy is VERY true, and not just to ADV, but unfortunately to a lot of anime dubs. Yelling =/= comedy.) So now I REALLY wanna check it out. ^O^

Maybe for the main lead and typical Epcar delivery for the rival, but some of the characters are just far below the standard that Justin is describing. Maybe he only extended his praise to the two leads? I agree with the earlier statement, whoever voiced Myung just wasn't up to snuff, the voicing didn't sound natural or flow as well.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Justin wrote:

Maybe for the main lead and typical Epcar delivery for the rival, but some of the characters are just far below the standard that Justin is describing. Maybe he only extended his praise to the two leads? I agree with the earlier statement, whoever voiced Myung just wasn't up to snuff, the voicing didn't sound natural or flow as well.

Well, I would easily call Princess Mononoke's dub the strongest of the Ghibli dubs (with Porco Rosso in close second to be fair,) and have a strong appreciation for Trigun despite its flaws and in some ways because of them, so we all got different yardsticks, man. Anime hyper BUT! Seein it just to see it, Japanese or English, is the thing.

EDIT: It just occured to me that in both cases (Princess Mononoke's dub and Trigun,) the phrase "A for effort" applies to why I hold them in such high esteem. Underplayed dub full of subtlety and terrific adaptive writing in a time where there REALLY wasn't precedent for it in anime, and Trigun as an *extremely* passionate piece of thematic sci fi that sorta keeps running even as its legs snap off. Very Happy
skafreak51

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:26 pm Reply with quote
So far one of my favorite episodes of this podcast ever I'd have to say.

Great choices so far. Can't wait til Zac's #1 pick of Rurouni Kenshin.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
For 90's movies Ed wood and Rushmore are in my top 10 of all time as well. But I think you all missed out on what truly is the defining best movie of the 90's and that is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie.
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I predict that Golden Boy will be in Justin's Top 5.

Given my undying love for Patlabor, that story about the voice actors for the TV dub having to improvise based on an unchanged script without any direction whatsoever almost made me cry. Were CPM dubbing sessions often that slipshod?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Was I the only person desperately refreshing ANN today? I love these episodes.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Thank you Zac for having Nadesico on your list! I probably haven't seen as much 90's anime as you, but that one is definitely in my top ten. That show really deserves more love than it has received in the general anime fandom in comparison to Evangelion in terms of quality robot shows. I personally like the dub (haven't listened to it subbed yet) because it really compliments the satire feel of the show with it's off the wall spin and often over-the-top-passionate scenes.
One of my favorite lines in the dub was during a firefight, and after Ryoko killed an enemy and said "I got'em", Izumi follows that with "Got'em? Isn't that where Batman lives?" As stupid and probably bastardizing to the translation as that was, I burst out laughing. Next to Yu Yu Hakusho it's one of my favorite dubs ever. Smile

Last edited by Wakazhi on Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
giromaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
great episode!! Glad to hear my list in there, gozenso sama banbanzai needs more exposure, it's one of the most unique anime shows i've ever seen, its so special in almost every aspect. Still it had to be my number 3, evangelion holds a special place in my heart and Giant Robo is one of the most awe inducing animated shows i've ever seen.

Regarding the anime on this first part of the show, really happy to hear someone agree that the first episodes of Lain are great, never really liked the show after a while, it just felt empty. I should really watch macross plus, Justin makes it sound really great.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Usually when I think up my top anime lists, Cardcaptor Sakura comes out on top out of all (not just 90's) or near the top. It's held up the best along my long-time favorites, and when I got to marathoning it, I never really felt like there was a weak episode to me, even if things were stretched out a bit in the earlier portion. It's all so fluffy and enjoyable throughout, and the second movie is a great ending and one of my all-time favorite movies. Happy to hear it got a mention in the show.

Magic User's Club (especially the OVA, but I loved the TV series too) would be a close second for me. That was the first thing I saw that wasn't connected to something I saw on Toonami (where I first got into anime in the early 2000's), and I loved it to pieces. It's got the most loveable, quirky characters and great comedy. My familiarity with Satou Jun'ichi's name from that lead me to many of his great series in the 00's, Princess Tutu, Kaleido Star, Aria, Pretear... It was one of the few things in my collection early on that I was tempted to rewatch a lot, so I kind of wore out on it at one point, but I still like it and count it among memorable favorites. Probably should get back to it since it actually has been a while now since I last saw it.

I guess I need to give Tenchi another spin just to see how I feel now, but I still think have a lot of fondness for the 90's part of the franchise. I'm kind of sour on the recent iterations, but I liked all 90's parts (OVA's 1&2, Universe, movies, even Tenchi in Tokyo to some extent) both originally and in rewatching. The Pretty Sammy spinoff (particularly the TV series, Magical Project S) was particularly memorable as I was more obsessed over it than the franchise proper back in day. The TV series is a lot of fun, though it doesn't hold up as well in rewatch as CCS does as far as magical girl series are concerned. I only got to see it more recently when the Geneon firesales started going at RightStuf (when I blind bought it), but I really loved Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure when I got to it. Not much a fan of robots and mecha, but that was nice fun Tenchi-like twist on the genre, and from a period where Animaze was making some of its greatest dubs (one of Michelle Ruff's earliest memorable performances there).

And speaking of Animaze dubs from that period, I do have a lot of love for Outlaw Star. While I kind of agree the character designs don't look nice (particularly with some episodes in there), the characters themselves were an interesting bunch for me, and I've always enjoyed watching through it again. It's one of the Toonami nostalgia titles that held up reasonably well for me. My interest in some, like Sailor Moon, has diminished over time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Hey Zac, this is not a complaint, just a request: If you guys do a 00s show I hope you'll post a topic in the community forum for submissions. I always miss the ones on Twitter.

Anyway, my answers for the 90s top 3 is pretty boring since they're all pretty obvious ones. (Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell) so let me list my next 3 favourites as well:

Jin-Roh: Man...Jin-Roh just rocks. It totally works for me as both a political thriller and a character drama. Looks beautiful too.

Berserk: A seriously underrated show. Beautiful artwork, great music. Wonderful characters. Also, the ending is just fine. It fits the tone of the show perfectly.

Trigun: Most definitely does not drop off at the half way point. To the contrary, I think it handles the transition extremely well. The way it shifts from a seemingly happy-go-lucky show to something more serious is what makes it great. I love the way it handles the whole backstory too.

I need to watch Lain again. I...mostly liked it but I only partially understood it.

The stand alone episodes in Bebop do way, way more for the characters than the bigger episodes.

Outlaw Star is fine I guess. I think it's one of those shows that just gets remembered for nostalgia more than anything else unlike a lot of other 90s stuff that genuinely deserves it.

Gave Please Save My Earth a try but found the all over the place plot and the breakneck pace made it almost unwatchable.

Ed doesn't really serve much purpose. I don't think she's generally that funny but she never bothered me either.

The giant animals are a big part of what makes Princess Mononoke great.

90s songs? Anything by Guns & Roses. That is all.

Jurassic Park was my childhood. Dun dun...dun dun...da na na...na na...na na.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7