• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fathers in Anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
I was able to ignore your first post dtm42, but your post against Key's criticism convinced me.

Akio was not a bad father, he loved his daughter so much that to show his affection, he licked her.

He thought that the best thing he could do by Nagisa, was not have her spoiler[think that she forced him away from her happiness. Guess what, because he was right, she hated that she forced him to give up, but he did it because he loved her, he learned an entire trade to do it.]

Can you not see why it took him so long to tell her spoiler[to do what she loved? Because he was considering her feelings, if he said the wrong thing he would come off as a hypocrite, he hoped that situation would not happen, and he did not know what to do.] He is only human.

They took in friends of Nagisa, he defused tension with humor, he was protective without being controlling.

And he/they did not spoiler[take Ushio from Tomoya, did you ignore the times that Tomoya mentioned that they brought her over to him, and he barely looked at her, that he skipped the important parts of her life. He never said he was not invited. They knew that Nagisa would have preferred them to look after Ushio, rather than leaving her with the heavily depressed father, who even after he took her in could barely be with her.]

Akio was a good father.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
I'll add my support to the father from My Neighbour Totoro who, no matter how left field, supports his daughters in whatever they do or claim to be true. He also maintains a positive attitude without hiding from his children the difficult circumstances they face.

In addition I would also add my vote to Balsa's foster father, Jiguro, from Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. Loving her and knowing how remarkable Balsa is, he sacrifices everything for her.

Here are some others:

Atsushi Yadomi - Jinta's father from Anohana. Despite still grieving for the loss of his wife, he treats his wayward son with tolerance and forbearance. Understanding Jinta's own grief over both his mother and Menma, he allows his son the space to resolve his issues. Perhaps Yadomi Snr should have forced Yadomi Jnr to go to school but I think that it's apparent from the circumstances of the story that it wouldn't have been a fruitful course of action.

Pod from Arrietty who is not only one cool dad for his tomboyish daughter but the two have a shared view of their world and all its stange possibilities.

Tenchi's dad from the Tenchi Muyo franchise. To be able to remain so equable when over-emoting aliens are constantly rampaging through your household is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Umezou, the father of Okinu and owner of the tavern in House of Five Leaves. After the death of Okinu's mother he gave up a life of crime for an uncertain future in order to bring up Okinu in the best environment he could provide. He is, perhaps, overly protective of his daughter but he treats her with as much love and affection as his gruff personality allows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Akio was not a bad father, he loved his daughter so much that to show his affection, he licked her.

Physical contact doesn't mean squat, and simply licking your daughter doesn't mean you're a good father or father-figure. Hey guess what, Mayu's stepfather in Elfen Lied spoiler[repeatedly rapes her,] he must love her a lot. Yeah right. Groan.

DuskyPredator wrote:
He thought that the best thing he could do by Nagisa, was not have her spoiler[think that she forced him away from her happiness. Guess what, because he was right, she hated that she forced him to give up, but he did it because he loved her, he learned an entire trade to do it.]

When the chips were down he failed a young man he considered part of his family. I don't care about Akio's attempts to relieve his own guilt by punishing himself all those years, not really, but I do care about the big decisions that completely undermine the show's theme and message regarding family.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Can you not see why it took him so long to tell her spoiler[to do what she loved? Because he was considering her feelings, if he said the wrong thing he would come off as a hypocrite, he hoped that situation would not happen, and he did not know what to do.] He is only human.

I can totally understand why spoiler[he didn't tell her straight away. I can even understand why he hadn't told her yet even though she was now eighteen. She was still not ready for it. But when she found out by accident the night before the production and he refrained from comforting her despite knowing how deeply affected she was by it, that annoyed me.]

DuskyPredator wrote:
And he/they did not spoiler[take Ushio from Tomoya, did you ignore the times that Tomoya mentioned that they brought her over to him, and he barely looked at her, that he skipped the important parts of her life. He never said he was not invited. They knew that Nagisa would have preferred them to look after Ushio, rather than leaving her with the heavily depressed father, who even after he took her in could barely be with her.]

From what I honestly remember about episode seventeen, spoiler[there was little mentioned and less shown about the efforts of the Furukawas to helping Tomoya. So they invited him over occasionally. So they made some cursory attempts to help him. Were they truly there for him? Did they drag him to a counsellor to get help for his depression? Did they make sure he was getting medication? Did they visit often to make sure that he frequently got to see Ushio and vice versa? Did they do anything to stop him from wasting five years of his life drinking, smoking and gambling his income away? Were they there for him as a loving and supportive family would be?]

No. No they were not. Depression is not something that can be easily fixed, but family can help. This family did not help.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Akio was a good father.

He was a good father when it didn't count, and a bad one when it did.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wow. Somebody has issues.

So I guess to be considered to be a good parent in anime, you must do EVERYTHING PERFECT and MAKE NO MISTAKES. Get a grip.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

From what I honestly remember about episode seventeen, spoiler[there was little mentioned and less shown about the efforts of the Furukawas to helping Tomoya.]

^^^^^
as you note, this was said

Everything else is pure supposition:

Quote:
spoiler[ So they invited him over occasionally. So they made some cursory attempts to help him. Were they truly there for him? Did they drag him to a counsellor to get help for his depression? Did they make sure he was getting medication? Did they visit often to make sure that he frequently got to see Ushio and vice versa? Did they do anything to stop him from wasting five years of his life drinking, smoking and gambling his income away? Were they there for him as a loving and supportive family would be?]

No. No they were not. Depression is not something that can be easily fixed, but family can help. This family did not help.

As your argument is purely based on your assumptions it is not a good argument.
What you KNOW is this. They tried to help him, they were unable to do so.... until they finally were able to do so. If you assume the worst then you assume he's a bad father, but that's merely your opinion. Fine, that's what you think.
But most people do not agree with you,
The show doesn't portray him as a bad father,
And all the characters love him.

I will say one thing in your defense though, I think the spoiler[4-5 year jump is absolutely the worst thing in either series. It strains credibility that it would take Tomoya that long to deal with his feelings. But its simply a writing ploy for the sole purpose of making Ushio the prime age of cuteness and old enough to talk and to be relatable.]

If you like the show enough then you forgive the giant fault and take the show at its word.

If you get all pessimistic, then you come up with all of the reasons to support your poor opinion, even coming up with arguments not supported by what is actually shown.

it's not irrational to place the blame on Akio and Sanae, you're trying to make sense out of a part of the show that does not make sense, but it's not supported by what the show actually presents.

It's poor writing to drag out the story, it's not bad parenting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'll add my support to the father from My Neighbour Totoro who, no matter how left field, supports his daughters in whatever they do or claim to be true. He also maintains a positive attitude without hiding from his children the difficult circumstances they face.

Heh, agreed. When I first watched Totoro, I remember thinking "Wow, what an awesome dad". Anime hyper

My favorite anime fathers....I have to give it to FMA. Hughes for being the most loving and affectionate father and Hohenheim for being the most sympathetic father. Please watch Brotherhood/ read the manga for more details.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
How about Fujimoto from Blue Exorcist? The scene where Rin is freaking out at kindergarten really drives home that not only is he a bad-ass father (we got the hint when he spoiler[stabbed himself in the chest]), but also a loving and compassionate one.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Since people are bringing up shounen, I wanted to bring up Naruto:
Clearly one of the best fathers in that show has to be Shikamaru's dad. I mean, there are a lot of fathers who we see in that show, but I really enjoy how he seems to be the most genuine. Of course, as a father-figure, Iruka really shows a lot of caring for Naruto when no else did, so I think he is also pretty darn good.

spoiler[It's kind of funny, but I remember being a huge supporter of 4th hokage as Naruto's dad. When it was revealed, I was overjoyed. Yet, I really can't say he's a great dad, given he's dead and all.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key, there's multiple things wrong with your post. I know you are a big fan of Sanae and Akio but that doesn't excuse your behaviour. I clearly made some points and then you accuse me of not making them. It would be stretching to call it a mere mistake on your part. So yeah, I'm kind of offended that you ould resort to that sort of behaviour.

Then be offended. Really, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to argue this, because you've shown repeatedly that once you get such a mad-on hate for a character fixed in your head, it's nearly impossible to convince you otherwise.

I don't want to spend all afternoon on this, so I'm just going address what I consider to be the major issues you raised.

Quote:
So a bad parent wouldn't spoiler[regret hurting their child for years after the fact? Then what about Tomoya's father?] Did he not regret what he did? Did he not regret failing his son? Did he not try and do his best for the boy despite his own personal flaws? I'm not defending him, but if you are going to give Akio a pass because he regreted what he did then shouldn't the same apply to spoiler[Tomoya's dad?] The reverse also applies; if you are going to criticise one man then shouldn't you criticise the other man too?

So you're honestly trying to tell me that the two should be treated the same way? No. spoiler[Tomoya's father definitely had regrets, but he let himself get so overwhelmed by his sense of loss that it got in the way of everything else. Akio, contrarily, strived to make the best of the situation.] That's a massive difference.

Quote:
If he's in such a funk - and it was a lot worse than that - then wouldn't that be the time to give him the support he needs? Even if he doesn't want anything to do with the Furukawas, he needed them to be there for him. And they weren't. As for Ushio, Tomoya may have wanted nothing to do with her but that was the depression talking. Depriving a father of spoiler[the first five years of his daughter's life and a daughter of the first five years of her life without her biological father] is just plain wrong. The Furukawas put it into the too-hard basket to look after Tomoya so they barely tried.

And it doesn't matter what the movie said, I'm not talking about the movie (which I haven't seen) but the series.

Then, as others have said, you're making assumptions based on things we don't see and whose truthfulness or falsehood cannot be verified one way or the other based on provided content. (And just so we're clear here, I'm addressing this comment back to the original complaint you made on this case.)

Quote:
They sure didn't do right by spoiler[Nagisa's husband and daughter when Nagisa was dead.]

Again, based on assumptions about what's not shown. If you're strictly limiting your commentary on this to the TV series, then you have to play that rule, too, and only use arguments to support your case that can actually be substantiated by the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Then be offended. Really, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to argue this, because you've shown repeatedly that once you get such a mad-on hate for a character fixed in your head, it's nearly impossible to convince you otherwise.

That doesn't excuse you outright lying about what I said or did not say. If you're going to defend your duplicity then there's no point me addressing your points because you'll just outright fabricate stuff again.

----------

Spastic Minnow, the fact that none of the efforts I mentioned (if they even exist) are shown is a big problem because there's no evidence to support any assertion. Except there is, with a results-based approach. spoiler[We know he spent five years in a depression without really seeing his daughter and I would have expected the Furukawas to actually do something to have prevented that. Now, I would freely admit that five years is certainly within the timeframe of getting over the death of your loved one, so if the Furukawas had helped him and he was still depressed I wouldn't have blamed them. Depression is not just something you can instantly cure, not even with medication.]

But even so, they should have been there, yet they barely tried. spoiler[A loving family who will support you while providing structure in your life is the best way to lessen the effects of a depression. If one of Tomoya's friends was in the same position he was in, he would have marched over there and done something, even if meant making huge personal sacrifices and not leaving them to stew all alone. That's the kind of guy he was. But as soon as he needs help, nothing, from friends or his new-found family. it's one of the biggest parts of the story, one of the biggest chances for his friends to repay him for his loyalty, one of the biggest ways for the Furukawas to show that they are truly his family even with their daughter gone. And all of it is glossed over completely, just for the sake of cheap emotional manipulation.]

Ahem. It seems I am getting onto the other problems of Clannad: After Story, so I'll stop. I've made my point about Akio, I've made it several times and as clearly as possible. There's nothing more I can add. Guess I'm done.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:

I remember when the US indie film distributors were trying to sell the first Troma release to parents who'd never heard of anime, period, and trying to sell the family-values card:
"I mean, the youngest tells an imaginative story, and...he believes her!"
(In US kids' films at the time, this was a trope unheard of. Shocked )

Quote:
Tenchi's dad from the Tenchi Muyo franchise. To be able to remain so equable when over-emoting aliens are constantly rampaging through your household is worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize

He lets his colors show more in the Tenchi in Tokyo series, but for the early TV series, it's established he's just glad to have girls in his house.

And, since there's been no mention:
Overprotective, perhaps, even a bit, um, overemotional in a crisis...But who DIDN'T want a dad like Soun Tendo? Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
How did I miss this topic? I loved the Mother's Day one!

Fruits Basket is filled with dead and absentee parents, not to mention parents who spoiler[get their memories erased so they forget they even gave birth to their kids (*cough*Momij'sMom*cough*)], but Kyo Sohma has a case of having a worst and best dad!

Kyo's biological father, who remains unnamed, spoiler[ blames Kyo for Kyo's mother's suicide. That is a despicable, if not outright evil, thing to do to anyone, let alone a preschooler!]

Meanwhile, Kyo's cousin Kazuma Sohma, AKA "Shishou" takes Kyo in and raises him as his own, his family's negative opinion of Kyo be damned. He's the best father figure in Fruits Basket, as far as I can remember. Props!

Talking about Naruto, I agree that Shikaku Nara is a great dad, as well as his teammate, Chouza Akamichi, Choji's father, who's kind and supportive of Choji. The third guy on their original team, Inoichi Yamanaka, loses points for seemingly being disappointed with having a daughter instead of a son, but otherwise he seems okay.

About Hoenheim from FMA, there is a huge difference between how he's portrayed in each series. Brotherhood gives him a richer more nuanced character. spoiler[We understand why he left Trisha and the boys, and we see how tortured he was by all those souls within him, which wasn't a factor in FMA 1. He's a much more sympathetic character in Brotherhood, and he actually tried to reconnect with his sons. In the first series, he abandoned Envy because he couldn't stand the "monster" he created (and Envy was not necessarily a monster at first, as we see with Izumi's son/homunculus Wrath0, and he abandoned Trisha and the boys because his mortal body was going bad and he didn't want to tell Trisha the truth about himself. He was a jerk.] I like both shows, but Hoenheim is a much better father and person in Brotherhood.

There are some less popular shows with interesting paternal characters. In Gintama, Kagura's dad comes back for her. She chooses not to join him, but they remain on good terms with each other.

Throwing in my vote for Ranka, from Ouran High School Host Club (who, I believe, was interested in becoming a drag queen before he met his wife, and actually became one and started working in a bar for drag queens after his wife's death);

Jiguro from Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

and, of course, Daikichi from Bunny Drop.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That doesn't excuse you outright lying about what I said or did not say. If you're going to defend your duplicity then there's no point me addressing your points because you'll just outright fabricate stuff again.

Naturally I'm outright deliberately lying if I carelessly make a mistake about what you did or didn't say. Sure. Whatever.

Quote:
But even so, they should have been there, yet they barely tried. spoiler[A loving family who will support you while providing structure in your life is the best way to lessen the effects of a depression. If one of Tomoya's friends was in the same position he was in, he would have marched over there and done something, even if meant making huge personal sacrifices and not leaving them to stew all alone. That's the kind of guy he was. But as soon as he needs help, nothing, from friends or his new-found family. it's one of the biggest parts of the story, one of the biggest chances for his friends to repay him for his loyalty, one of the biggest ways for the Furukawas to show that they are truly his family even with their daughter gone. And all of it is glossed over completely, just for the sake of cheap emotional manipulation.]

That's still just an interpretation - and, I might add, the most negative possible one. (And, again, a lot of your complaints here are addressed by the movie version.) I flatly disagree.

I do agree, however, that continuing this further is pointless, since we clearly have radically different interpretations here that cannot be definitely proven one way or the other.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 am Reply with quote
Aw, such a shame this thread is for fathers in anime only and not just manga. Rin's father would have been a great example of an Ugly father who technically isn't as terrible as he lets on, but the story is written in such a way that the audience can't help but despise him anyways. Confused

The only significant father in anime that hasn't been mentioned yet is Touhara Naoya in Astarotte's Toy/Lotte no Omocha. His status as a 23 yr old single father of a 10 year old biological daughter is the main reason I'm following this series.

Naoya is definitely a good father. He fathered Asuha with a much older woman at just the age of 12, he raised Asuha all by himself after the mother suddenly returned leave their daughter with him before disappearing when he was just 15. As for traits that makes him a good father, he sacrificed his own education to raise Asuha, ending up never going to high school. Naoya managed to provide for the two of them, going as far as affording to send Asuha to school while finding jobs for himself. Throughout the series Naoya showed off his abilities as a parent, cooking for Asuha, washing her clothes, and even sneaking into an all-girls school to deliver lunch, etc. Lastly, rather than getting pissed off at the woman who left the toddler Asuha in his care and leaving without a word, the first thing Naoya did after meeting her again is thank her for giving Asuha for him to raise, meaning he was actually happy about being stuck raising a toddler when he was only 15 himself. Throughout the series, he also demonstrated a lot of his fatherly qualities on Astarotte as well since she's the same age as Asuha.

The only thing that might raise an eyebrow in the anime is him smiling and clapping while his own daughter tries out some rather suggestive clothes, though that's only the product of the anime adaptation, and it's not that big a deal anyways.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
I guess Naoya from Astarotte is someone I was considering as well, I mean it was pretty obvious that he tried so hard, even though he had to deal with the problems of having a spoiler[Cambion] daughter.

Don't know how forgot this one, what about Henry Marker from Karin. He might be a little overprotective, that is completely understandable based on how his daughter is different from humans, and even her own kind. Compared to how the other vampires act, he is exceedingly affectionate, though is not exactly mean to her potential boyfriend beyond looking out for her. Of note was the time he risked his own life by going out in the sun to help Karin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5