• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
You'd be surprised how popular this show still is let alone the card game both in Japan and worldwide. 5D's was a big hit despite how big of a flop GX was. I'm not too sure about ZEXAL's reception at the moment, but it's probably too early to say even with 50+ episodes already out.

Well the TCG is the most played one in the world, so yeah, kind of hard to doubt that popularity.

I'm not sure how you're judging popularity of the anime. Saying GX was a flop while 5Ds was a hit is just.. wrong. If anything 5Ds was the least popular series. Even ZeXal is getting higher ratings than 5Ds got. GX did well enough to be the only Yu-Gi-Oh series they continued to show reruns of even after it ended, to my knowledge. And when 5Ds was airing, reruns of GX was dangerously close to 5Ds ratings. Sometimes they even surpassed 5Ds. 5Ds was the real dud of the franchise if reruns of the previous series outranked it on occasion.

In terms of popularity, it goes like

Duel Monsters > GX > ZeXal > 5Ds.

And ZeXal might end up surpassing GX in the end, given it's slowly creeping up to what GX was getting with new episodes, so who knows.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mr. sickVision wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh seems like the type of show where a handful of people clamor for uncut versions and then try to find any reason possible not to purchase the uncut version.

Something as "unforgivable" as using English name order when translating into English would probably make 50% of all 20 people clamoring for uncut versions not buy it.

Well that's a pointless slam against an entire fanbase for no reason.

Anyway, they never bothered to re-dub Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Shaman King, Ojamajo Doremi, Digimon, or anything else from 'back in the good old day', so I doubt Yu-Gi-Oh will either since it's much longer/edited than those shows. More work.

Best you could hope for is a cheap, limited, budget release like early Sailor Moon got (with missing episodes and questionable picture/sound quality.

If you're a fan of shows from that era, you're kind of screwed. There's a reason people didn't want anime on TV back then; less likely for a proper release. At least there's always subs, though.

While not anime, Winx Club was a 4kids dubbed show that is getting a redub from season 3 on (with four movie specials to recap the first two seasons). So that is one down... lots more left to do.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I like how the comments are bashing Japan for not 'respecting their worldwide fans' and not 4Kids. If 4Kids gave the show a good dub that didn't cut everything out, change every characters personality and goal, edit out all the plot stuff, and etcetera, then the lack of a Japanese track wouldn't have been as big a deal if the dub was a proper uncut one.

Replacing audio (i.e. dubbing) is still an edit. 'Uncut' doesn't stop at retaining unaltered animation.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I hope Konami and/or Saban choose to continue dubbing Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal soon, the last episode Toonzai aired dubbed was Episode 24.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the license is much better in Konami's hands than Saban's. Let Saban have the CW4kids.

My question is, will Konami choose to continue using the 4Kids' VAs for Zexal or re-dub it? And do they plan to even go back and dub past episodes, especially the undubbed GX/5D's episodes?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My question is, will Konami choose to continue using the 4Kids' VAs for Zexal or re-dub it? And do they plan to even go back and dub past episodes, especially the undubbed GX/5D's episodes?

Who knows? We'll have to wait and see. When exactly WILL Saban's Toonzai take over (we're not even sure what'll be happening to the programming block anyway)?

TitanXL wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But then again, I have no idea if Yugioh is in that awkward position Sailor Moon resides in:

Do the fans want the nostalgia factor by using old dub/edit names, or do they want a true translation?

Always respect the original version. People who would ever actually want a whitewashed, hacked up dub don't really deserve a say in the matter.

I'm not saying that I would "want" a "whitewashed, hacked up dub", but I just wanted to point out that that is all your opinion. You're treating the people that disagree with you like their opinions are inferior.

For instance, while I admit that the English dub of Sailor Moon is FAAAAAAR from perfect, and that by today's standards, it's not very good, I do enjoy watching it for the memories it brings back, and because it's what I'm used to. But I guess that means I don't deserve a say in the matter, do I? Razz
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm not saying that I would "want" a "whitewashed, hacked up dub", but I just wanted to point out that that is all your opinion. You're treating the people that disagree with you like their opinions are inferior.

For instance, while I admit that the English dub of Sailor Moon is FAAAAAAR from perfect, and that by today's standards, it's not very good, I do enjoy watching it for the memories it brings back, and because it's what I'm used to. But I guess that means I don't deserve a say in the matter, do I? Razz

Nostalgia is not a valid claim on something being good or not. If anything, it shows you're not capable of objective thinking and will give into it. Thus, no, you don't, because that thinking comes at the expense of the actual fans of these shows and denies them a proper release. Props to the new Sailor Moon manga team for not doing that. Lesser companies would have aped up the nostalgia factor for some quick 'mainstream' sales rather than caring at actual quality. Even Cat Ninden Teyandee is getting a proper subbed release. Never thought I'd see that day.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
You'd be surprised how popular this show still is let alone the card game both in Japan and worldwide. 5D's was a big hit despite how big of a flop GX was. I'm not too sure about ZEXAL's reception at the moment, but it's probably too early to say even with 50+ episodes already out.

Well the TCG is the most played one in the world, so yeah, kind of hard to doubt that popularity.

I'm not sure how you're judging popularity of the anime. Saying GX was a flop while 5Ds was a hit is just.. wrong. If anything 5Ds was the least popular series. Even ZeXal is getting higher ratings than 5Ds got. GX did well enough to be the only Yu-Gi-Oh series they continued to show reruns of even after it ended, to my knowledge. And when 5Ds was airing, reruns of GX was dangerously close to 5Ds ratings. Sometimes they even surpassed 5Ds. 5Ds was the real dud of the franchise if reruns of the previous series outranked it on occasion.

In terms of popularity, it goes like

Duel Monsters > GX > ZeXal > 5Ds.

And ZeXal might end up surpassing GX in the end, given it's slowly creeping up to what GX was getting with new episodes, so who knows.

In my opinion 5Ds was my favorite series, mainly because the main character was serious, older and therefore easier to relate to. Duel Monsters I like because its' the classics. GX was ok but I found it difficult taking Judai seriously at moments while the plot after Season 2 started getting weird. Zexal so far is my least favorite because I find it hard to take the overall show as serious as the previous three series.

My question is, why is GX and ZeXal higher than 5Ds? From what I have read and heard, many people aren't real fond of GX or ZeXal. 5Ds initially had reactions due to the D-Wheels, but people many people eventually got passed that as the show went on. If there are any theories on why, I would love to hear them.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Nostalgia is not a valid claim on something being good or not. If anything, it shows you're not capable of objective thinking and will give into it. Thus, no, you don't, because that thinking comes at the expense of the actual fans of these shows and denies them a proper release. Props to the new Sailor Moon manga team for not doing that. Lesser companies would have aped up the nostalgia factor for some quick 'mainstream' sales rather than caring at actual quality. Even Cat Ninden Teyandee is getting a proper subbed release. Never thought I'd see that day.

I have judged the Sailor Moon English dub fairly, and I know it's not very good, and I WOULD support a redub should one ever come along (when did I even claim that I thought it was good?). But since I grew up with Sailor Moon's existing English dub, I enjoy watching it (if a redub came along, I would likely mostly watch that instead, but would still watch the existing English dub from time to time). I AM an actual Sailor Moon fan. Just because I don't watch the Japanese version, that doesn't make me a fan? I do enjoy the new Sailor Moon manga, even though many fans have complained that the dialogue doesn't sound natural (in addition to the typos and errors, some of which have been corrected in newer printings), I still enjoy reading it. The Japanese names don't bother me, in fact, I barely think about them at all. Further more, never EVER tell anyone that they're incapable of objective thinking just because they like something for nostalgia. There might be a TV show you LOVED to watch when you were younger that you may admit now isn't very good, but still enjoy watching it because of the memories it brings back. That's OKAY! It means the show is special to you, and you can still enjoy it! No need to be so uptight.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Always respect the original version. People who would ever actually want a whitewashed, hacked up dub don't really deserve a say in the matter.

That's irrelevant. Pragmatically, the only say that matters is what people will buy. For instance, I know many people who would buy Samurai Pizza Cats for the dub, but only a few would buy it sub-only (e.g. without the dub release). Probably because the original wasn't that memorable, since even when it was airing in Japan, hardly anyone was interested in fansubbing it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
My question is, why is GX and ZeXal higher than 5Ds? From what I have read and heard, many people aren't real fond of GX or ZeXal. 5Ds initially had reactions due to the D-Wheels, but people many people eventually got passed that as the show went on. If there are any theories on why, I would love to hear them.

Are we referring to people in Japan or people in America? And if the later, people who watch the 4Kids dub or people who watch the actual version of the show? Big difference between all of them.

Not like I know the people who give the shows ratings, but personally, it was the characters for me. I liked Judai and Jun more than Yusei and Jack. And the whole motocycle thing was kind of forced, and I didn't care for it much. Not a bad series, but it just didn't click with me as much as GX did. Characters are the most important part of a show for me, and I really liked all the wacky classmates of Duel Academia than the characters of 5Ds and never got as invested in them as much.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I AM an actual Sailor Moon fan. Just because I don't watch the Japanese version, that doesn't make me a fan?

Ever? Well.. In cases where dubs change entire characters/plots/cut and fuse episodes/don't show the entirety of the show then it's not really accurate to say you like the original show. For all you know, you might love "Serena" but hate "Usagi". Sort of like how I think Jounouchi is a cool, selfless guy who'll take a beating for his friends but Joey is an annoying idiot with a bad Brooklyn accent who's greedy and keeps money from his family and tricks his friends into doing dangerous stuff because he's a coward. You may like the dub, but the dub isn't really the real versions of these shows in cases of 4Kids/Nelvana/etc dubs.

enurtsol wrote:
Probably because the original wasn't that memorable, since even when it was airing in Japan, hardly anyone was interested in fansubbing it.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact it's an old late 80s/early 90s show back before the internet even existed when fansubs were rare VHS tapes of a select few shows and were of terrible quality and traded via snail mail... If it came out nowadays, it'd definitely be fansubbed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Samurai Pizza Cats is pretty much like Power Rangers - a new show made with Japanese footage. Of course sub-only would sell worse - it's just some old show few people have ever heard of(Super Sentai at least has an actual American fanbase).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Ever? Well.. In cases where dubs change entire characters/plots/cut and fuse episodes/don't show the entirety of the show then it's not really accurate to say you like the original show. For all you know, you might love "Serena" but hate "Usagi". Sort of like how I think Jounouchi is a cool, selfless guy who'll take a beating for his friends but Joey is an annoying idiot with a bad Brooklyn accent who's greedy and keeps money from his family and tricks his friends into doing dangerous stuff because he's a coward. You may like the dub, but the dub isn't really the real versions of these shows in cases of 4Kids/Nelvana/etc dubs.

First of all, I have seen some of the Japanese version, very little of it, but I have seen enough to get an impression, and I have read a significant amount of "Sailor Moon Uncensored", which details the edits done to the show, and I regularly post on a Sailor Moon message board which mostly features people who have seen both versions, as well as some who have mostly seen the English version. Plus, I mentioned earlier that I have read the manga, which alters hardly anything (possibly too well, to the point where it sacrifices fluidity for accuracy).

Second, even if my only exposure to the series was through the English version (in this case, done by DiC and Optimum Productions for Seasons 1-2, and Cloverway and Optimum Productions for Seasons 3-4), I would STILL be an actual fan of the series. It doesn't matter what version of the series you watch. If you've seen the series in any way, shape or form, and become a fan, then you're an actual fan. Nobody can dictate to anyone whether they're a fan or not. Your comment was extremely rude.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
[in response to PurpleWarrior13]

Here's the thing: is it fair to say that you're a better fan just because you've seen the supposed better version? I feels like saying someone's not a true Star Wars fan because they've only seen the remastered version, or that someone's not a true Dragon Ball Z if they've never seen the first series, or read the manga, despite them owning more merchandise than you.
To me, this elitism a very ridiculous attitude to have, especially in these types of subcultures.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
How many of the balls, sir?

ALL OF THE BALLS.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5