• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
Probably because the original wasn't that memorable, since even when it was airing in Japan, hardly anyone was interested in fansubbing it.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact it's an old late 80s/early 90s show back before the internet even existed when fansubs were rare VHS tapes of a select few shows and were of terrible quality and traded via snail mail... If it came out nowadays, it'd definitely be fansubbed.

It's those times when resources are limited, when people are forced to pick, that shows what people value enough. Today's technology has allowed the bar low enough that anything can be fansubbed.

Polycell wrote:
Samurai Pizza Cats is pretty much like Power Rangers - a new show made with Japanese footage. Of course sub-only would sell worse - it's just some old show few people have ever heard of

True, if it wasn't for the dub, it would've been relegated to the dustbin of history. Another example of that is Shinesman.
Yugiboy12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Konami is taking all of 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh assets (while Saban gets the block). Does that include the Pyramid of Light movie and Capsule Monsters anime?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Konami is taking all of 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh assets (while Saban gets the block). Does that include the Pyramid of Light movie and Capsule Monsters anime?

It will likely include the Capsule Monsters series, but not the Pyramid of Light movie, since Warner Bros. has the rights to it, not 4Kids.
Kayube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The article says Konami got the "2003 Yu-Gi-Oh! movie deal memo with TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Systems, Shueisha". I'm not entirely sure what that means, since it and the Bonds Beyond Time one are "memos" and not "agreements". But it sounds like they got all the deals having to do with the movie.

As for uncut releases, I for one got all three of the uncut DVDs that 4Kids came out with, and even though they weren't perfect I enjoyed them. I even had the fourth one preordered before it got cancelled. I'd definitely be interested if Konami were to release the original series uncut, even if it had to be a dub-only release.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The article says Konami got the "2003 Yu-Gi-Oh! movie deal memo with TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Systems, Shueisha". I'm not entirely sure what that means, since it and the Bonds Beyond Time one are "memos" and not "agreements". But it sounds like they got all the deals having to do with the movie.

They might've obtained 4Kids' stake in the movie, since 4Kids' name is still attached to it, but Warner Bros. likely still retains the distribution rights to the film itself (the movie itself came out in August 2004).
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But then again, I have no idea if Yugioh is in that awkward position Sailor Moon resides in:

Do the fans want the nostalgia factor by using old dub/edit names, or do they want a true translation?

Always respect the original version. People who would ever actually want a whitewashed, hacked up dub don't really deserve a say in the matter.

So I have a question for you. I have seen all two hundred episodes of the Sailor Moon anime, all three movies and the specials. I have watched the entire live action show with its specials. I have read all of the manga. I have watched a good chunk of the musicals. I have played and beaten the RPG Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story. I can name every one of the 50+ sailor senshi from all of those continuities, including debating on whether or not Sailor Cosmos counts as an individual senshi or an alternate form. I am searching for Sailor Astarte's figure kit.

I enjoy and like the dub. In some departments, I prefer it over the original anime and would be just as likely to buy a complete box set of the dub as of the original.

Do I still count as a fan of Sailor Moon?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Here's the thing: is it fair to say that you're a better fan just because you've seen the supposed better version? I feels like saying someone's not a true Star Wars fan because they've only seen the remastered version, or that someone's not a true Dragon Ball Z if they've never seen the first series, or read the manga, despite them owning more merchandise than you.
To me, this elitism a very ridiculous attitude to have, especially in these types of subcultures.

Those are not good comparisons. All the complaining about the remastered versions of Star Wars being sacrilegious just because George Lucas put in some dancing CGI chipmunk in the background of a Cantina scene isn't relatable to a company basically remaking an entirely new show using Japanese footage; it's still Star Wars. Nor is it like seeing an anime like Dragon Ball Z and not reading the manga. It's more akin to Power Rangers/Super Sentai. Sure, you may love the wacky adventures of Jason, Tommy, and all them, but that doesn't mean you like Zyuranger, or even saw it. That's not elitism, it's just common logic.

I must admit it still perplexes me how anyone can defend the editing/butchering of anime. That's not exactly a mindset that's going to deterrence all those people who don't care if/actively want the R1 industry to die.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Even if my only exposure to the series was through the English version (in this case, done by DiC and Optimum Productions for Seasons 1-2, and Cloverway and Optimum Productions for Seasons 3-4), I would STILL be an actual fan of the series. It doesn't matter what version of the series you watch. If you've seen the series in any way, shape or form, and become a fan, then you're an actual fan. Nobody can dictate to anyone whether they're a fan or not.

You can think however you like I suppose, and we'll just have to agree to disagree. Anyone who came up to me and said they were "Yu-Gi-Oh" or "Cardcaptors" fans and have only seen the dub, I wouldn't consider them a fan, nor would most of the actual fanbase. Or maybe it'd be more accurate to say, I'd acknowledge them as a fan of those shows, but not "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters" or "Card Captor Sakura", which is generally why people use original names of shows to differentiate between versions.

SnowMusket wrote:

I don't care how you think, so long as your views and purchasing power does not impact my own enjoyment. If your kind made Kodansha destroy the manga to make it mirror the DIC show, then that would impact me. Unfortunately, that does happen with some manga (mainly Viz stuff) which is why scanlations thankfully exist.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
All the complaining about the remastered versions of Star Wars being sacrilegious just because George Lucas put in some dancing CGI chipmunk in the background of a Cantina scene....

I must admit it still perplexes me how anyone can defend the editing/butchering of anime.

Surely though, you're also not defending the editing of classic Star Wars by the dancing CGI chipmunk, yes? Just looking for clarification here. Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about Star Wars or what CG after effects they added to it (those are more like the BD touch ups anime also get than 4Kids-style editing). I'm just saying it's not comparable to someone who hasn't seen Zyuranger but is judging it by only seeing Power Rangers, or any similar hackjob.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I get the feeling we're no closer to an uncut release than we were before.

No kidding. not to mention it may also be the same for shaman king.

I've said it once and i'll say it again. HOW IN THE HOLY HIGH HELL COULD THE HORROR THAT IS 4KIDS BE THIS FRACKING LUCKY???????

It's crazy that good companies like ADV, Geneon , Central Park Media & even Bandai have now gone six feet under and god awful companies like 4kids, Nelvana and Animax Asia are still around & keep dodging bullet after bullet.

i mean it's like the industry is in a freaking twilight zone. and with this news,i'm afraid the franchise will never get official eng sub and an uncut english dub. Bad for us but good for fansubbers and illegal streamers.

Something have to be done before the horror that is 4kids ruin the series completely. Hopefully their luck will eventually run out and they'll finally go bye bye, and the sooner the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
4Kids and Nelvana deal with childrens' series. Geneon et al dealt with a niche market. Of course the former will have an easier time staying afloat.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
4Kids and Nelvana deal with childrens' series. Geneon et al dealt with a niche market. Of course the former will have an easier time staying afloat.

True enough,but NONE of the anime series they license ( Excluding Pokemon ) were children series. All of them were meant for older teens that got massively edited to be suitable for kids which of couse earned the wrath of every single otaku,and gave english dubs a very very bad reputation. with all of the bad publicity,they should have went six feet under years ago.

Hopefully the next time , they'll finally die a deserving death which would hopefully would mean a license rescue for all of the anime series they butchered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

SnowMusket wrote:

I don't care how you think, so long as your views and purchasing power does not impact my own enjoyment. If your kind made Kodansha destroy the manga to make it mirror the DIC show, then that would impact me. Unfortunately, that does happen with some manga (mainly Viz stuff) which is why scanlations thankfully exist.

Because of course it's not possible to prefer the Viz translations to the scans, because while it might not be word to word literal or "authentic" it reads better or makes it more enjoyable.

You really come off like a cantankerous powderkeg looking for a reason to go off.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

True enough,but NONE of the anime series they license ( Excluding Pokemon ) were children series. All of them were meant for older teens that got massively edited to be suitable for kids which of couse earned the wrath of every single otaku,and gave english dubs a very very bad reputation. with all of the bad publicity,they should have went six feet under years ago.

Hopefully the next time , they'll finally die a deserving death which would hopefully would mean a license rescue for all of the anime series they butchered.

Totally agree with you about 4kids. I don't care if 4kids wants to solely work with childish anime, but I do care when they use anime meant for older audiences. It's simple logic. Pokemon was a very young child-oriented show, and 4kids did very well with that. It was somewhat of a Golden Age for them.

But when they did shows like One Piece or Yu-Gi-Oh!, the results weren't as pleasing as the results of Pokemon. 4kids should stick with the stuff they want and not force something to conform to their selfish desires. Imagine how weird and illogical it would be if Disney wanted to pick up the SAW franchise.

Also, if 4kids just concentrates on series meant for very young children, then that theoretically saves them money. Think about it. If the show is already ok for 4kids' standards, then 4kids doesn't have to spend as much resources on all the edits.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Every series 4Kids got was a children's show.

It's just what constitutes a children's show in Japan is different than America. You have content like blood, death, murder, rape, pedophilia, homosexuality, transgender identity, and all that stuff just fine.

That's the problem. They DO focus on "kids anime", it's just kids anime would be for adults if they ran it uncut.

And unfortunately, butchering the likes of Pocket Monsters, Ojamajo Doremi, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, and the like is how they survive so long. Like it or not, the average American adult isn't going to tune in to that stuff, so they figrue if they dumb it down enough so little kids can watch it, they'll do better. In their defense, they hung on much longer than other companies, so there may be truth in there, but all it shows is the average American probably isn't ready for anime yet, and anime may be better off not being on TV at all, and sticking to simulcast and streaming services for American distribution.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5