• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Some Tokyopop Manga Volumes Out of Stock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
I guess they could call Marvel Comics and ask them what they did when their Spiderman comic with Prez. Obama on the cover sold out in record time. (they had a second printing)

And a third. And a fourth on the way.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to say it'd be nice to see reprints, but as much as I want to build my manga collection I just don't have the income anymore. Don't get me wrong, I don't pirate it by any means (Hate reading off a screen anyway), but it's just too damn expensive.

I can't pay $10+ for a half hour's worth of entertainment, it's just...yeah. Not doable. Even if they dropped to like $7 a book it would be better. There are a ton of titles I'd like to pick up or finish, but I just can't. Sigh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
The word "postponed" is far better than the word "cancelled" - that shows that pretty much likely that most of these solicitations will be re-scheduled at a later time. Though I'm still concerned about ARIA GN 5 since when asked about it Marco shyed away from giving the specifics. Which tells me that there's a 50/50 chance that we might not see the rest of ARIA any time soon, if at all.
I don't know, fans of Yotsuba who have had that manga be "Prosponed" for years on end might not like the word "Postponed" any better than "Cancelled". Infact in that kind of situation, the firmer "cancelled" is the prefered one.

because Postponed is how we get to not be able to watch Keroro Gunsou on TV.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

I can't pay $10+ for a half hour's worth of entertainment, it's just...yeah. Not doable

Slow down!
I take a good hour to read most volumes of manga. Give them voices. Oggle the pix.
I've re-read some of my favs a few times.
I've copied pages which hang on my cubicle wall.

SongstressCela wrote:

Even if they dropped to like $7 a book it would be better. There are a ton of titles I'd like to pick up or finish, but I just can't. Sigh.

Buy on sale.
TRSI has publisher sales (such as the ADV sale ending 2/2). At their TP & Viz 33% off sales the price of a $10 list drops to $6.60 & if you have their Got Anime 10% discount, that's $6 per volume.
You just need to order $50 to get free shipping, but if you pre-order, the card doesn't get charged until it ships, but you still get credit for the total sale, not the shipment sizes. In fact, the $50 if pre-discount, so they ship smaller than $50 (say a special where they offer $5 off a $50 purchase. You order $50, then get the $5 off, & then the $4.50 Got Anime discount so the order is actually just $40.50)
Viz, TP, & Dark Horse are regularly discounted 25% there also. I place my orders thru the sales which tend to run twice per year & just wait for the items to come into stock & ship every month.
You think I'd pay fill price?
I have over 2000 volumes of manga. No way I could afford $10 a pop
The art books are a different matter. They're almost never on sale & I often have to import them from Japan so they're expensive both in original price & in cost to ship.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to give some people some hope:

Lys said in the TP quality manga thread that TP announced on Twitter (May 14) that V.B. Rose has been rescheduled for October of this year (TRSI has it listed for Sept 29).

I don't know about the rest of the series that were put on hiatus, since I don't follow any of those, but this is promising.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3