• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Delays Some Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
This is when I wish they would hurry up with getting blu-ray to become the new standard since it is region free.

The Blu-Ray format is not region free. Many Blu-Ray releases are all-region, but some aren't.

Not region free, no, but Japan and America are the same region on Blu-Ray.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
RightStuf's already taken down its link to Lucky Star LE Vol. 6. I had preordered it, but I imagine that's been canceled now. So, I went ahead and preordered the regular release. If by some chance the LE reappears, I guess I'll double dip.

If you pre-ordered it, it's pre-ordered still. If the title is cancelled, TRSI will mail you a notice it was cancelled. They finally cancelled some CPM manga titles I ordered 3 yrs ago. All their Drama Queen titles still have links up, just with the dreaded 12/12/12 release date.
I've pre-ordered a couple titles from TRSI & the link vanished (Let Dai 14, I believe, but it shipped when it came in on schedule. I ordered a Final Fantasy Artbook off the last Dark Horse sale & a day later the link vanished, but it was re-established later.) I assume it's a glitch
I've also seen titles get their release date shuffled (Clamp School Detectives from December to February, yet I received it last week or so)
It just sounds like shuffling.
If anything, they might be lightening up their release schedule with the idea we're all suffering so if they slow their schedule, we'll be more likely to buy titles we were maybe iffy on. Maybe a fan wants Gurren Laggan, but also wants Code Geass & can't afford both at the same time (Actually I dropped GL & will buy it after I finish with CG)
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if this actually has to do with the fact that they recently switched to Technicolor for their DVD replication. It may not have been possible to stay on schedule with those releases given the switch.

Which is just fine by me, if it means an end to BEI's disc error woes. I don't think it's a given that this has to do with the economy, or BEI's financial situation, or anything like that.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
This is why I stopped buying anime dvds from Bandai Entertainment, FUNimation, and ADV for the time being. The same with manga from VIZ, and Tokyopop. They keep delaying titles off so what's the point of buying a partial volume or collection if there is an uncertainty of not getting the whole series.

There are a lot of interesting anime and manga titles that I want but not at the cost of wasting money for not getting the complete collection. I will wait until the complete set or volumes are released before buying it. That's my new rule.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
parakiss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
aw man this really sucks. I real like the crayon drawings. I hope they get it on the market soon.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is why I stopped buying anime dvds from Bandai Entertainment, FUNimation, and ADV for the time being.

I'd like to bundle up every bleeding martyr into a big sack, hang them from a crane, and just start bludgeoning the whole mess with a steel pipe from another crane while screaming You are part of the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Quote:
This is why I stopped buying anime dvds from Bandai Entertainment, FUNimation, and ADV for the time being.

I'd like to bundle up every bleeding martyr into a big sack, hang them from a crane, and just start bludgeoning the whole mess with a steel pipe from another crane while screaming You are part of the problem.

I believe your comment is uncalled for. I'm not part of the problem. As a consumer I have the right to buy their anime dvds or not. I'm under no obligation to buy a product just to support the anime companies. Why should I or anyone buy the first couple of volumes then the company decides they don't have the budget to get the rest or go out of business. It's buy at your own risk. The lack of confidence for the anime companies is present where I am concern. The anime companies haven't done much to boost my confidence when it comes to releasing anime dvds. I can understand if this is a one time deal but it happens too often with Bandai Entertainment along with their defect discs.

I give the anime companies points for licensing a whole series and releasing it in two box sets. As a consumer, it says I will be getting a finished series.

This just give people more of a reason to turn to fansub. The final analysis is the anime companies sometimes are their own worst enemy due to the lack of producing a finished product. The anime companies are giving people more reason to watch fansub because the anime companies are unreliable. Fansub is free whereas the official product requires payment. Yes, fansub is copyright infringement etc. (that's for another thread).

I buy anime dvds because I like them. I'm not buying them to support the anime companies. It's the job of the anime companies to produced quality anime dvds and released it in a timely manner for the consumer. Therefore, the revenue from the sales keep the anime companies a float.

Stop blaming the consumer for the companies deficient when I'm are not buying anime dvds.

Last edited by sdhd on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, why should sdhd buy single volumes at the risk of the whole series not getting realeased.

On another note I am waiting for series (insert name here) to come out on DVD.

*Looks at the cash in his bank* STILL WAITING STILL WAITING, oh look i have lost interest/forgot about said series, money is now being spent on somthing else.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
...Because your moronic points of view are exactly the reason they can't put out a series in full. -_- Acting like a couple of entitlement queens is exactly part of why we're in the situation we're in right now, so get off your damn high horses.

Quote:
I'm not buying them to support the anime companies.

Oh, you've made -that- painfully clear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
...Because your moronic points of view are exactly the reason they can't put out a series in full. -_- Acting like a couple of entitlement queens is exactly part of why we're in the situation we're in right now, so get off your damn high horses.

Yes because if you had waited 2 years to buy the first 2 volumes of (insert name here) and then found out they were not realeasing the rest on DVD (which is what happen to me, 3 people I know irl and many people I dont know) you would not be annoyed?

So again, why should I buy single volumes? Im more than willing to give them my money if they stop messing about.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Wait, so are you saying that if a company puts out 50% of a show on DVD and then stops, we should be HAPPY that they were able to provide us with what they could?

Are you nuts?! Even the creators in Japan can't be happy about that.

Leaving a show incompletely released on DVD is a slap in the face to everyone who bought it, and because the companies have soured their customers and any and all "trust" that once existed between the consumer and the companies is gone.
Trust is something that must be earned.

You seem to argue that it's fine for a company to stop releasing a show whenever they feel like it. Sure, that's fine, but they'd better expect for no one to ever buy singles ever again from them in return.
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Quote:
I'm not buying them to support the anime companies.

Oh, you've made -that- painfully clear.

I treat anime companies just like Apple, Microsoft, Starbucks, Road Runner, HP, Best Buy, Borders, Barnes and Noble. If they don't have what I want I go somewhere else. If they give bad services I go somewhere else. I don't hear those companies complaining about about their customers. Those business don't go out and say buy the stuff they sell so they will be here the next day. Why should the anime companies get special treatment?

You are forcing people to buy anime dvds for the sake of keeping the anime companies going with your comments. Where is the genuine love for anime? Who should be accountable for defect discs or unfinshed series? You are saying I should be held accountable for those issues since I'm not buying every anime dvds because I'm only buying anime that I like when the whole series is released.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Talking to you people is like talking to a brick wall, oh my god. -_-

They don't have the items you want because you aren't buying them in the first place. You elitist brats sit around twiddling your thumbs and snacking on imported bonbons, swirling your wine while waiting for a company to cater to your every whim and ignoring the very product that you're trying to purchase in the first place.

Why the hell do you think a company might stop a series halfway through production? Because entitlement queens like you aren't buying the product that gives them the sales to keep producing the series in the first place! It's common freaking sense!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Obviously we can choose when and what we buy. We have every right to do so. And I totally understand the frustration of buying part of a series (be it anime, manga, or whatever) and then not being able to get the rest because it gets canceled. I can understand not wanting to shell out the additional money to buy single DVDs and instead waiting for the box sets to be released. However, as much right as anyone has to choose not to buy anything until the whole thing's out, that's really causing problems for the companies that sell this stuff and it's one of the major reasons that there are series that aren't completed.

If all you care about is how much money you spend on products and avoiding owning partial releases, then feel free to wait for series to be completely released before buying them, but be aware that the more people there are who operate that way, the more series there will be that aren't completed or don't even get licensed in the first place.

Personally, my take on it is that unless you're just too strapped for cash to buy the singles, then you should buy them because it supports the companies that sell this stuff and allows them to continue to bring us more great stuff (you also get the stuff faster that way). This is doubly true for manga since it's not like you're ever going to get boxed sets of them like you will with anime.

Anyone and everyone has the right to choose how they spend their money, but be aware that how you spend it has an effect on what will be around later for you to spend it on. This is especially true in niche markets such as anime.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
And why did people stop buying series on single volume in the first place?

I mean for me personally the whole Geneon and ADV mess a year ago did it for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8