• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX in 2005

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:38 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
biliano wrote:
The GX series is set in an alternate universe. I don't believe it is a sequel.

Sequel, same universe, years in the future.

-t

Wait, wasn't this the series getting released in America before being released in Japan? If that's the case, then this series doesn't have anything to do with the characters in the yugioh series going on right now. I mean, it has a character with the same name, but he's not even related to the yugi in the current series...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Wait, wasn't this the series getting released in America before being released in Japan? If that's the case, then this series doesn't have anything to do with the characters in the yugioh series going on right now. I mean, it has a character with the same name, but he's not even related to the yugi in the current series...

The News wrote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX in 2005 (2004-11-11 13:41:53)
Also in the 4Kids third quarter conference call, 4Kids CEO Al Kahn stated that they currently expect to release Yu-Gi-Oh! GX in 2005. They also gave an indication to the series length, mentioning 20 episodes. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX premiered in October on TV Tokyo.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm stupid and can't read...

Bleah, I guess I was thinking of something I read back from this thread...
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8680
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So I take it GX is to Yu Gi Oh what GT is to DB: a cheap cash-in.

Yu-Gi-Oh itself is a cheap cash-in, dude.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Bleah, I guess I was thinking of something I read back from this thread...
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8680

Well, it looks like everything you wrote in that thread is correct too.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac: True, but at least the writing is better than Pokemon.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think that the only redeemable part of Yu-Gi-Oh! is the original manga, which happens to be pretty good (and differs very much from the second anime). Even if you were to get the uncut version of the Duel Monsters anime, it still pales in comparison to the original manga, making everything center around the cards. The original 27 episode anime also doesn't have very high production values, in my opinion. And while I haven't seen this new anime, the fact that Kazuki Takahashi didn't write an original manga for this to be based on will doom it to mediocrity like such shows as Dragonball GT.
AffectedAnimeAddict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
So which is it, a sequel or a series that has nothing to do with the series? And was making it even Kazuki Takahashi's idea or the company made it?..(reminds me of DragonBallGT)
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:22 am Reply with quote
Some of the original characters are in the series but they don't play major roles. Supposedly Yugi now either runs or works for a dueling school. Some kid who attends this school is the main character. Yugi apparently gives him a special card within the first few episodes to help him out. Or something like that.
AffectedAnimeAddict

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:16 pm Reply with quote
and what about Seto Kaiba!!Will he be in there...?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
In my opinion Dragonball GT was an attempt to make DBZ more like the original Dragonball, only in the future.

This DMGX thing is so much like a fanfiction idea, it's almost not funny. (Yes, this was a fanfiction idea in MY head)
YUGI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
He has a manga about yu-gi-oh thats not coming to the states. Yu-Gi-Oh R. Its about the pegasaus family.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Didn't 4Kids not even license the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh because it didn't involve the game in anyway in any of the episodes? I understood that 4Kids started off with the 2nd season and aired on TV and released that on DVD.

This reply is based on what I read in Anime Insider issue #11:

The first season of Yu-Gi-Oh, which was 27 episodes long, was produced by Toei Animation and aired in Japan in 1998. These episodes followed the manga that is running in Shonen Jump and featured Yugi proving his worth in a series of random games, with the card game not featured. But the lack of the card game wasn't the only reason why the first season didn't get licensed; it was Yugi's brutal acts of terrorism thru the use of punishing Shadow Realm illusions that kept the series from crossing the Pacific. Hard to imagine Yugi as a terrorist, huh?

If you get a chance, read the article in Anime Insider #11 by Lianne Sentar. It provides an episode guide to the first season.

Yes, that is kind of hard to imagine Yugi as a terrorist.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
ping

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote
AffectedAnimeAddict wrote:
and what about Seto Kaiba!!Will he be in there...?

yah he runs the dueling school thingy. Which is a pretty silly idea, if you ask me, why would you want to go to a special school to learn how to play duel monsters? It's a pretty simple game... Confused
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Yes, that is kind of hard to imagine Yugi as a terrorist.

Just a clarification, Yami Yugi (Dark Yugi) is not actually a "terrorist", like Al Qaeda or other Middle East extremist groups. He doesn't go around waging "holy" wars against other people or randomly attacking innocent people. He does use black magic from the Shadow Realm (a "Penalty Game") to punish those with wicked hearts (quite harshfully, I might add), but it's mostly out of defense for regular Yugi (the one without the fierce eyes), who is quite the pathetic wimp. So I don't think you'll see Yami Yugi crashing planes into prominent buildings any time soon...

Also, much of the anime that has not crossed the Pacific because of the brutality of the "Penalty Games" has actually crossed the Pacific in the form of the manga, which has been appearing monthly in Shonen Jump (USA), uncut. In addition, I doubt that they are holding back licensing the first anime because of violent acts by Yugi, since much more brutal shows have been licensed and are airing on TV as we speak. Heck, just look at some of the ways victims have died in Case Closed/Detective Conan, and that was also billed as a "kid's show" in Japan. Yami Yugi's punishments are more cruel, but definately not as brutal, since most of his victims at least get to live. The first season hasn't been brought over because it will not sell due to the lack of a force-feeding of the card game every second an episode, like the second Duel Monsters series does, to the point where it rewrites the original story to incorporate the game. Kids won't watch a show were people play inventive games that don't have any relation to Duel Monsters.

I close with three questions: Did anyone who actually reads the manga notice that they used to call the card game "Magic and Wizards" up until sometime during the "Death T" storyline, and suddenly at the end of the story, it was called "Duel Monsters"? Secondly, has the manga indeed ended in Japan? Finally, has anyone heard or confirmed that Viz will be skipping ahead in Shonen Jump (USA) to the "Memories Arc" (past Duelist Kingdom, Battle City, Doma Saga, and the KC Grand Prix, the latter of which has not even aired edited on TV yet) and releasing the rest of the story as graphic novels exclusively starting with "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Vol. 1" (really volume 8)? I hope Viz realizes this is a stupid move, but I'm not holding my breath for them to change it.

That Yu-Gi-Oh R sounds...odd...who wants more stuff about Pegasus?

Edit: Mea culpa, a slight error on my part. There was no Doma Saga or KC Grand Prix in the original manga. The Noa Arc in the middle of the Battle City Arc was also an anime-original story (though founded in some events that had been mentioned early in the manga about the Kaiba family, but never mentioned in the anime until that point).

Last edited by Necros Antiquor on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3