• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oreimo Artist Warned About Putting Own Art, Music on Niconico

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quatrevav35

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Since the article states that he continues to provide downloads on his own site, anyone know which site that is?
(In asking this, I'm assuming his stuff isn't bogged in any legal issues, if he himself offers it up.)
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Well if you ordered smooth peanut butter and you got super chunky, I don't think you'd say, "Wow! That's smooth." ^_~

When someone has the legal authority to upload content and then has to jump through hoops to prove they AREN'T a criminal worse than child rapists ('cause we all know that copyright violators are the worst scum on the planet, doomed to being raped to death in prison for their heinous crimes against humanity), I don't call that smooth. Indeed, I call that crap.

Then again, I've heard that in Japan, you are guilty until proven innocent for the most part (although officially, you are supposed to be presumed to be innocent), which kinda seems to be where America is heading as well. Any system that automatically deems you to be in violation of copyright law (or any other law for that matter) is a "guilty until proven innocent" system, period. That is the wrong path to head down, even more so for something trivial as a copyright violation. But as I said in my initial post, this is what happens when corporations seek protectionist laws from the government.

Well I don't know dude. I can log into a random site and just say I'm you and start posting and saying crap even though I'm not you.

This is the internet. Anyone can pretend to be anyone.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I don't see the issue. The system scanned for copyrighted content, found it, and warned the user. The user then showed that he had proper rights to use the content and all warnings or account flags were removed.

Sounds like everything working smoothly imo.

I don't think it's even working at all. There should be no claims on existing copyright as they are all new works, including the remix in terms of "matching", as well as the previously non-existent copyrights on the images of Miku renditions that he drew himself. (And it isn't Miku herself which is clearly licensed under an copyleft type license that niconico is already familiar with) How does the system claim they belong to someone else when it didn't previously exist? That he received multiple warnings despite this fact and having to go through the hassle of proving his innocence is a major flaw. The burden of proof needs to be on the accusing party or the system before the accusation should even proceed.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Did he publish the music through a recording company? If so, he doesn't have the rights to just give it away or do what he wants with it, the company also has a say.

All is vocaloid works are independently released - they've come bundled with his Comiket doujinshi. Of course that doesn't mean, he might have a publisher that he's licensed the work to though. Also, having a record company distribute an album for you doesn't necessarily mean they own the rights to recordings as one can just sign a distribution deal instead.

One of the tweets that's link showed a little of his annoyance regarding the copyrights of the images used in the songs - something about a simple google search would have shown he is the artist.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also produces music under the name HanasoumenP.
That's HanaSoumen-P, or HSP. Me thinks he doth complain too much. Nico Nico has only recently upgraded their servers and service so there's going to be a few burps until things bed in and run smoothly. I've used Nicosound for the majority of the Vocaloid music I've archived these past months, just under 720, including HSP's who's compositions I find hair raisingly awesome, like "Unfragment" and "The Endless Love", which are Techno/Trance, and "Maybe Lucky" and Wonder Girl" which sound like '80s Cuban Disco which we use to dance to in our days, and if something is copyrighted it will not let me download it with a message saying so. Obviously that system checks for plagerism as well and was a bit over zealous. He should be glad it works, not slag it off like this. I hope he gets over it and changes his mind, or posts a link to his own site.

Edit: His list is still available and still open for downloads, as of this posting date that is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2