• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revenge of the 90s Part II: Ice To See You

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

When you're making deprecating generalizations about the fan base of the series, rather than the series itself, what do you expect?

Hilarious responses from overwhelming members! Razz

but seriously the majority of fanbase of Gurren Lagann (from people I have met) have crammed this show down my throat claiming it's the best damn show ever since this show has aired, and it's been extremely annoying, I am not talking about you or people who enjoy this show, but the other 90 percent of the fans of this show have been complete jackasses over people who don't think it's a great show, then again that's fanboys for you..

Quote:
For instance, I think you're totally wrong about GL

That's fine no hard feelings! Very Happy

Quote:
and I'm definitely not a "teenager" or "action fan boy." I know a lot of mature adult fans who aren't necessarily action fanatics who loved that series.

Again you don't have to be to enjoy this show, but from people I have met, the majority are young teenagers who's diet is consisting of mediocre shounen action shows, I can enjoy mindless shows as well, just Gurren Lagann just didn't do it for me. I tried not to think while watching and it didn't do anything. I have seen this show twice (fansub and english dub on Sci Fi) since it aired and I still can't make myself to think it's the best damn show ever. Mostly my other main reason for not liking it is I enjoy Gainix as a studio, but boy they really haven't made a decent show in the longest time, while the show gets you pumped up with adrenaline for the next episode, I thought how the story process just got really ludicrous towards the later half. Does the show have great animation? Yes, does the show get you pumped up and excited? You bet! Is it extremely overrated? Absolutely!

Sorry if you guys think I am being a complete jerk about it but I just can't bring myself to think it's the best show ever (again if you like it, that's fine). I'm glad I saw it, but it's not something I would watch again!
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RahXephon was a big love letter to Mazinger Z

I'm pretty sure Izubuchi stated it was a love letter to "Yuusha Raideen" more than anything else.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
it's weird how i am constantly trying to reply and defend ttgl although i haven't even finished the show at all. it must be due to the sheer awesomeness of what chagen described here. actually it sounds like the best show ever made.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
"Galaxy Shurikens" is one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's like the people who made the show have zero understanding of the laws of physics and have no concept of making something plausibly believable.

Time travel is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. It's like the people who made PMMM have zero understanding of the laws of physics and have no concept of making something plausibly believable.

I can't stop laughing at your ridiculous bar-setting when it comes to anime. So extreme are the opinions, there's just no way to respect them.

But at least they're entertaining.

Thanks for that. Very Happy
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I thought this anncast was about anime from the 90s...

...just saying...
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Stop in the name of the law. -TK]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: You, too. -TK]
staab99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised about someone putting Blue Seed in their top 3, it's an underrated show. I re watched it a few years ago. Sure the animation isn't the best, but the story is still a lot of fun, and the ending was really good (just don't get me started on Blue Seed Beyond).

Other really fun OVA's no one mention were Gunsmith Cats, Master of Mosquiton, All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, Shinesman, and Elf Princess Rane. While they are not masterpieces, they sure were a lot of of fun to watch.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
^ Eh, the original All-Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku OVA series might've made my 1990s top 10 if Zac had let readers submit top 10s instead of just top 3s, and I know that top 10 reader lists wouldn't be feasible for a podcast if Zac wanted to keep it under 12 hours, but for a top 3 I had to be super selective and ruthless with my choices...

...an decided that Pretty Sammy TV/Magical Project S warranted that #3 position on my list way more than Nuku Nuku. ;-)

I'm increasingly thinking that I should be the fourth panelist on the Best of the 2000s show. I can almost guarantee that only 2 or 3 of my picks would even have a chance of being on the Zac or Justin's lists. However, I know being a forum old-timer isn't suffential credentials for appearing as a panelist and there are too many popular series I simply haven't seen (i.e. Guren Lagaan) or couldn't get into (i.e. Fullmetal Alchemist) for them to take my list seriously;.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
They defintily need someone vastly different. There was too much agreeing. The elitist thread running through the show was also too strong without Darrel Surrat there. There's only so much of that Mike can counteract. I really liked when Tim Eldridge was there because he talked about tons of shows I'd never heard of.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
ashez2ashes wrote:
They defintily need someone vastly different. There was too much agreeing. The elitist thread running through the show was also too strong without Darrel Surrat there. There's only so much of that Mike can counteract. I really liked when Tim Eldridge was there because he talked about tons of shows I'd never heard of.

I'm not sure what the definition of "too much" is in this context. Mike and Justin each had five titles that no one else listed, and Bamboo had 4. Out of forty picks between the panel members they discussed twenty-six different titles, seventeen of which only appeared on one list. Twenty six is pretty decent. No, it's not the diversity present in the 80's episodes (discussed 33 different shows) but there were still a lot of unique listings all the same. Looking at the shows most named (those listed by three of four participants) I think I'd have been surprised if they weren't represented by a majority.

These podcasts aren't meant to be a definitive summary of the decade, they're just supposed to provide an interesting discussion. Diversity of subject matter certainly helps that along but it isn't like the lists were all the same.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:
These podcasts aren't meant to be a definitive summary of the decade, they're just supposed to provide an interesting discussion. Diversity of subject matter certainly helps that along but it isn't like the lists were all the same.

True, but even the panelists admitted that they weren't expecting the amount of overlap that there was between lists. Even they were hoping for more differentiation between lists, but they conceded that the shows that overlapped were just that influential, impactful, & "good".
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

True, but even the panelists admitted that they weren't expecting the amount of overlap that there was between lists. Even they were hoping for more differentiation between lists, but they conceded that the shows that overlapped were just that influential, impactful, & "good".

Oh, absolutely. I intended to address their statement to that effect but just ran out of steam typing on my phone. The overlap is definitely more indicative of the quality of material at play here, not any sort of mis-selection of participants - and as such don't think any criticisms of who participated was warranted.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:

You'd only get a summary of the decade if you went through and did top 5 or top 10 picks from every single year, and note if there were any trends or patterns as you go along. Picking 10 items for a 10 year stretch doesn't really draw a conclusive image, especially when that decade in particular varies wildly after the bubble burst and the rise of late-night anime.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TokyoGetter:
Quote:
Then that's an issue of your personal taste; the movies have always departed from the series.

Not true at all. The first movie had all the characters together and used exactly like they would be in the rest of the series. And while the third movie had a different story, tonally, too, it still was written within the context of the Patlabor setting. The second film is basically just an excuse to sell a different movie with the Patlabor name on it.

I thought that P2 fit into the rest of Patlabor just fine. The similar two-part story in the original OVAs was good, and so was the second movie. P2's story is on a larger scale than the TV/OVA stories (that I recall, anyway, but I've probably forgotten at least a few of 'em), but the dark and serious tones showed up in the TV series almost any time that Schaft was involved. Patlabor the Movie was great, too, but it was "just" a long and very well-animated TV episode.

Quote:
Quote:
I thought it was a great depiction of mature adults doing tedious and taxing work in a politically-charged atmosphere, and Goto is a main character who I wished got more time during the series.

He's had plenty of time in the series.

Even when he was manipulating his crew, he mostly stayed in the background. The only time that I recall that Gotoh Kiichi and Nagumo Shinobu got any focus was in a fun OVA in the second set.

Quote:
Quote:
There's very little of the series which had the weight that the movies contain, either.

Yes, but unlike Patlabor 2, when the series went dramatic, you cared about the characters.

Why wouldn't I care about the characters in P2? It was wonderful to get a glimpse of their lives after leaving SV2. P2 was a great epilogue for them.

Quote:
Quote:
but I think it would betray the nature of the series to turn it into a bunch of people running around freaking out.

If your city got attacked, of course you'd be freaking out.

I (and many others) probably would, but I hope that a few of the people with training to deal with some of the things that could happen would keep their heads. There was plenty of freaking out by the SDF command and the politicians.

I love the Patlabor universe, and I think that I've probably bought the TV series, OVAs and first two movies about a half-dozen times so far (P-series LDs [TV/New OVAs]), P1 and P2 LDs, TV LD boxes, Original OVA LD box, New OVA LD box, USMC and Manga VHS, USMC and Manga DVDs, R2 'Sound Renewal' P2 Movie DVD, Honneamise R1 DVDs for P1/P2, P1/P2 BDs, and TV/OVA BDs). I've got WXIII/MiniPato on R1 DVD, too.

penguintruth wrote:
Ebichu is pretty hilarious. "M**KO, DECHU."

Half of the fun came from having Sailor Mars as the owner, and Sailor Moon as the hamster. ^^

Quote:
Giant Robo is truly awesome, but I can see the breakneck speed pace annoying others.

There was no breakneck speed if you were watching the OVAs as they were being produced. It was painfully slow. ;p

Quote:
The OST is magnificent. I think both English dubs are terrible, though.

Both the animation and the Warsaw Philharmonic soundtrack wowed me when I saw the first OVA at Anime Expo 1992. I loved it enough to buy the GR OVAs four times (LDs, R2 DVD box, US VHS, and MB's R1 DVDs), and I've got most of the OSTs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15