• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fantasy Stars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I can see why Valkyria Chronicles 3 never made it here. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is not nearly the sequel I was expecting after the original. The game play is like a watered down Persona game, and the combat is watered down from the original game way too much. The storyline is lacking as well.

I've read a synopsis of the story for Valkyria Chronicles 3 and it actually sounds very interesting. In the first one you saw the discrimination against the militia, using them for dirty or impossible tasks, but in 3 apparently you command a unit of criminals who do even more insane suicide missions. This gives the story has much more potential for dark themes.

It's a shame we won't see it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...without embarrassing mistakes and insulting patios.

... I misread that.

Re: Valkyria Chronicles III: Hope remains.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
sainta wrote:
Aynslesa wrote:

I'm used to people marking down X for the voice acting and/or certain characters, but I've never heard anyone fault the story. At least, not anyone who's actually finished the game. Color me startled.

In case of the voice actors, most of them were good even though it was the first Final Fantasy with voice acting. The ones that are often criticized are James Arnold Taylor's Tidus and Hedy Burress' Yuna. It was as if Taylor could not keep a constant tone for Tidus as noticed between Tidus' quiet narration and his common voice while Burress often made the character more sighing. The "infamous laugh scene" was actually a forced laugh as far as I remember in which even the other characters wondered if Tidus and Yuna went crazy for a minute. Tidus actually laughs various times in the game, and it really does nto sound forced.

In the Dissidia FF games Tidus and Yuna had the same actors and they seemed to have improved specially Taylor who reminded to the original Tidus by Masakazu Morita.

I'm not really into romances but I liked Tidus' and Yuna's cos they actually got along and spent time together like real couples unlike some anime couples who happen to spend most of their time arguing.

Missed this post when I did my last one.

Yes - so much yes on the forced laugh. I'm so tired of people pointing to that and using it as an example of Tidus and Yuna's voiceacting when it's not a valid example in the slightest. You can tell just by watching the JP version - it's even *more* forced.

I agree one hundred percent - Tidus was one of James Arnold Taylor's first roles, if I remember correctly, and you can tell that he was still trying to figure himself out. I enjoyed Hedy Burress' depiction of Yuna in X, but even better in X-2 - she did a great job in making me believe that yes, two years is enough time for someone as softspoken and sheltered as Yuna to start becoming more outgoing.

I was blown away by both of them in the Dissidia games, honestly, in particular Taylor as Tidus. You could clearly see how he's matured since X was released. I'm honestly disappointed that the new HD rerelease of X isn't going to see a redone vocal track, because I've love to see how they'd portray the characters now, after so many years.

Isn't that the point of a forced laughter? One that you can easily tell they are faking since it's not real? Even before that laughter, Yuna was telling Tidus to prepare by doing a perfect smile and Tidus wanted stop saying it was too stupid.

I don't know too much about HD releases, but I hope at least Square remasters the sound or they ask the staff to do voiceovers.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If Capcom's reviving Okami, maybe we'll be lucky and see Gyakuten Kenji 2 get a localisation. Smile Until then, I'll have to get my fix with fan-made cases (which are good, but have so many new characters that I miss the canon stories).
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
That was an interesting article on FF though I'm not sure how much of it I agree with.

I don't mind a sequel or no numbered title every now and again, but your right about Square going overboard with them. I'm pretty sure they do so because the actual time production time for the main series titles has become longer with the use of new technology and graphics. Final Fanatsy is their big money maker so they likely don't want to go so long without a title from the series coming out. I agree that its diluting the brand in the long run.

I'm not actually sure what your looking for shake up wise. The games are still made with the Japanese fandom in mind so expecting leads of color is unrealistic. We just came off of a game with a female lead in XIII (Ashe was also basically the lead in XII). The battle system always changes up somewhat, but the degree it went to in XII pissed off quite a few fans. It feels more like your arguing it should have stayed because you yourself liked it. Personally I preferred XIII's by a good margin. Never felt any of the games get so progressviely harder before. It definitely worked to keep you on your toes. You talk about games needing explore the style of storytelling VI did, but then admit there are two games that recently did, one of them you don't even seem to like while the other you haven't played. I actually like XIII a good deal. I'm not really sure where you coming from with pacing problems in terms of actual story/writing as it written a good deal better than the last few games. If your arguing pacing in terms of actual gameplay freedom then I understand. It still doesn't change that there are games that have used VI's style of storytelling in recent times. I'm actually looking forward to XIII Versus since it will seemingly have the most different narrative setting in a long while. Outside of new blood I'm not sure what your really looking for in terms of Square shaking things.

I have no arguement about VII needing a remake. I want it myself and its somewhat dumb from a financial perspective for them not to remake it as its been requested and expected by fans for years now.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone saying the Square-Enix merger ruined both companies? What about Kingdom Hearts? The World Ends With You? Dragon Quest? Final Fantasy isn't their only franchise, you know.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oh man, given Todd's recent feminist slant I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the new baby-making game or whatever that was announced today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
But really now. I've been patiently waiting for Versus XIII since 2006. Can it be release sometime in 2013, cause I'm about to snap here.... And my thoughts on a FFX remake. I'd preferred an 8 or 7 remake but if they remake 10 there's one thing I want them to change. Give Titus a name. The fact through out the whole game he was known as "You" or "Him" kinda ruined to serious tone of the game for me. Also keep the original cast. Some say the acting was laughable, but I kinda liked it. As for the graphics, pft since when have they mattered. FF8 and 7 were great games and look at those graphics. So here's me hoping for a release date for Versus and a US release of Type-0.
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
I love how reply comments on a FF topic don't seem to mention FF8, which is probably one of the most under-appreciated numbered title with the most misunderstood main character in the series.

7 was good, if you wanna call it that, fine, point is it DID become THE JRPG of its time during a time of non existent games of it's kind. Let's face it, there WERE other games, just no one noticed them as much as people noticed 7. Sadly the majority of fans that did jump onto 7 were eagerly waiting for 8 and when they got it, "well this isn't anything like 7, dropped, returned, kinda lame, why does this guy look like a girl... etc."

Hell if were talking remakes, 8 deserves it more than 7, regardless of the fact that everyone wants a 7 remake, yeah we get it, cant people shut up about it already? no? well damn, no wonder everyone thinks the FF community is annoying O_o...

To me on a personal level having played a fair share of the numbered games in the series, am considering Versus 13 to be SE's final shot at keeping me and my wallet at close hand. 13 was a let down, and it's a shame that like 7 being MANY gamers' first jump into a JRPG, let alone a FF title, 13 was once again, many PS3 gamers first shot at a FF game, but this time, the results were negative, because it was simply a bad game. SE concentrated too damn much on making the game look pretty with a great selection of voice actors (with the exception of Hope of course) instead of focusing on the meat of the game; how it actually plays in the hands of not only a new gamer to the franchise, but in the hands of a gamer who's played a prior FF game that comes to the table with certain expectations.

Pardon me if I use incorrect terms, but from part 4 we've gone from pre defined roles, to jobs, to the esper system, to the materia system (which was probably the easiest to use, which again explains 7's popularity), to junctions (which was probably confusing to 7 players who's first FF game probably WAS 7, sigh...), to Eidolons which was pretty much cut-and-paste the Esper system, and back to pre-defined roles in FFX with it's sphere grid which still offered some level of variety, continuing on to the highly detailed but often times flawed job system in the online XI, and then we get into 12 where you can make any character tailor made to whatever you want them to be, (vaan was my cure bi*tch, i hated that fool...)

This is where SE lost it's touch, they didn't even seem to try with 13 and just gave us a watered down version of X"s sphere grid with... one leveling path for the most part, and just "hit X to win" type of gameplay/mentality. 13-2 improved on many of it's faults, but when opening sales can't even beat a damn Tales game, then you know you've lost loyal fans of the series and need to step it up a notch because of the simple fact that A: you made a bad game and B: are trying to recuperate with a sequel that consists of "unused material from the first game." Which in my head translates to "not giving a damn about the people buying your crap thinking anything with Final Fantasy in it's name is gonna push sales."

Hopefully they recover with Versus 13 and a US release of type-0 which got great reviews in Japan iirc because this new demo they showed at E3 looks like yet another all glitter and no gold type of "Final Fantasy" Game. hell I know it's not a FF game, and it probably won't even be called such as a type of spin off, but that's sure as hell what it looks like; another empty promise from a company that's lost it's touch.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Oh man, given Todd's recent feminist slant I can't wait to hear what he has to say about the new baby-making game or whatever that was announced today.

I'm not going to point out your use of the word "feminist" as a slur, but that game's been anounced for a while.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

I'm not going to point out your use of the word "feminist" as a slur, but that game's been anounced for a while.

I think he's talking about the newly announced Xbox 360 game - Majiten: Maji de Tenshi wo Tsukuttemita (I seriously made an angel) which has only been announced in the last day or two.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
kazume wrote:
Hopefully they recover with Versus 13 and a US release of type-0 which got great reviews in Japan iirc because this new demo they showed at E3 looks like yet another all glitter and no gold type of "Final Fantasy" Game. hell I know it's not a FF game, and it probably won't even be called such as a type of spin off, but that's sure as hell what it looks like; another empty promise from a company that's lost it's touch.

Thankfully, Square is smart enough not to listen and cater exclusively to one guy on the internet who doesn't like them and instead actually focuses on it's millions of customers and fans who do. Seems like a smarter business practice.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

I think he's talking about the newly announced Xbox 360 game - Majiten: Maji de Tenshi wo Tsukuttemita (I seriously made an angel) which has only been announced in the last day or two.

D'oh. I was thinking of that PS3 RPG..."Conception: blah blach Please Bear My Child" or something similar.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
But really now. I've been patiently waiting for Versus XIII since 2006. Can it be release sometime in 2013, cause I'm about to snap here.... And my thoughts on a FFX remake. I'd preferred an 8 or 7 remake but if they remake 10 there's one thing I want them to change. Give Titus a name. The fact through out the whole game he was known as "You" or "Him" kinda ruined to serious tone of the game for me. Also keep the original cast. Some say the acting was laughable, but I kinda liked it. As for the graphics, pft since when have they mattered. FF8 and 7 were great games and look at those graphics. So here's me hoping for a release date for Versus and a US release of Type-0.

Not "Titus" Laughing Kinda shocking that Kingdom Hearts was the first game they pronounced his name. I guess that's why Square stopped giving the player the option of naming the characters
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kazume wrote:

Thankfully, Square is smart enough not to listen and cater exclusively to one guy on the internet who doesn't like them and instead actually focuses on it's millions of customers and fans who do. Seems like a smarter business practice.

You're right, no one but you is allowed to have thoughts and opinions on the subject.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5