• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Books/essays about manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ambercrystal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I study manga at university, and I have written a number of essays (one of which was published) using these reference materials:

The Mechademia Series- This is a series of books containing a number of different papers by different people. Each book has a specific theme, so that would help if you are looking for something in particular.

Anime from Akira to Howl's Moving Castle by Susan J. Napier- This is an interesting book with each chapter focusing on a different theme.

CLAMP in Context by Dani Cavallaro- If you are interested in the work of CLAMP (both the manga and anime) then you will find this book interesting. It was published this year, so it covers pretty much all of their works.

Anime and Philosophy- I noticed that you had Manga and Philosophy. Anime and Philosophy is a great companion for that!

Straight From the Heart: Gender, Intimacy, and the Cultural Production of Shojo Manga by Jennifer S. Prough- this book is great if you are interested in learning more about the manga industry (specifically related to shojo), rather than the manga itself. It covers the editors jobs, the publication process and a number of other things.

Manga: An Anthology of Global and Cultural Perspectives- This is another book with contributions from a number of different authors on manga. This book is really fascinating. It discusses a number of specific genres and works, and is also really good if you are interested in learning about manga globally (with articles covering Manga in East Asia, Manga in Europe and such).

Otaku- Japan's Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma- this book is not specifically about manga and anime, but about the otaku that consume it. This may give some insight into the appeal of certain aspects of manga (for example- there is a section on how Moe is created).

You listed a number of really great books. I recommend reading them thoroughly and enjoying them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2