• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Super-Local Anime TV Channel Planned for Akihabara, Nipponbashi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
In a de-commercialized venue like low-power broadcasting that Ginga will take advantage of, I'm very interested to see what sort of format this project will take. At least in the United States, religious groups, community activists, and student organizations normally use this kind of media for non-commercial ends. Considering the both symbiotic and adversarial relationship that Akiba has with the anime industry, I wonder how this project will (not) be commercialized, and what sort of voice it grants to a broadcaster that may or may not claim to speak for a real or imagined otaku community. We shall see, I suppose.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
In a de-commercialized venue like low-power broadcasting that Ginga will take advantage of, I'm very interested to see what sort of format this project will take. At least in the United States, religious groups, community activists, and student organizations normally use this kind of media for non-commercial ends. Considering the both symbiotic and adversarial relationship that Akiba has with the anime industry, I wonder how this project will (not) be commercialized, and what sort of voice it grants to a broadcaster that may or may not claim to speak for a real or imagined otaku community. We shall see, I suppose.

I miss the days of "The Box" when you did have a low-power station that played music videos someone paid money to request.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Might be worth tuning in on the Internet for some of the English content.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
This could be cool. It'd be nice if it really was like some low budget TV channel and all they played was super obscure stuff or fan/student made content. Like a 24/7 Adult Swim where if you've got the talent to make a 30 minute show on a pretty consistent basis, you'll likely get put on.

StudioToledo wrote:
I miss the days of "The Box" when you did have a low-power station that played music videos someone paid money to request.

I remember that. There were so many shitty music groups getting play on there, but it was fun to here them. This was like the only way to discover no name groups back when all I had was dial-up and downloading 1 mp3 on Napster took like 20 minutes (40 if people want to get all stupid archival and use like 320kb as the bitrate).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
This could be cool. It'd be nice if it really was like some low budget TV channel and all they played was super obscure stuff or fan/student made content. Like a 24/7 Adult Swim where if you've got the talent to make a 30 minute show on a pretty consistent basis, you'll likely get put on.

Like the Public Access channel where Wayne's World supposedly was. Laughing
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Like the Public Access channel where Wayne's World supposedly was. Laughing

I think more of the kind of brokered timeslots of UHF TV in the 70's and 80's myself, where groups of all sort often bought time on a station simply to do such local interest programming or acquire such programs to show from all over (often larger cities with Asian demographics often saw Japanese cartoons show up in this fashion).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1