• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game Round 7~

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I also support the shortened grace period between confirmation and new quote posting. 48 hours is fine a quote in play, but I have memories of a quote going til the last few hours, finally guessed correctly, and then no new quote for another 48 hours. It will better encourage people to be quick or to pass, and we're not stuck for 2 full days should someone completely forget.

As for the sub-dub labeling, am I alone on thinking that not labeling them hasn't really been a problem?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Based on the hints...

Anime: spoiler[Gundam 00]
Character speaking: spoiler[Kati Mannequin]
Addressed to: spoiler[Patrick Colasour]

Scene: spoiler[I really can't recall the exact scene but the character gained a nickname as result of his previous battles against other Gundams in which Kati Mannequin somewhat jokingly told him to fight well. In the original scene based on hint 2, Patrick was being hit by Kati twice in a row during their first meeting and he fell in love "at first sight" in episode 14 on Season 1 in Gundam 00]

If this answer is accepted, I'll pass. I really can't remember what episode this scene took place though but I do know exactly the episode where they first met based on hint 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Stark700's guess is correct.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ok I'll post a quote.

"[Character X], what's wrong? Close your eyes. You're supposed to close your eyes when you fall!"

(I just had to edit the quote slightly I messed up the 1st sentence a tiny bit)
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Hint 1: spoiler[ Character X is wearing red contacts in this scene.]
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
I also support the shortened grace period between confirmation and new quote posting........ As for the sub-dub labeling, am I alone on thinking that not labeling them hasn't really been a problem?
I agree with the shortened grace period, good decision Key. I also though, think not labeling the quotes sub or dub hasn't been a problem. And people are already forgetting to do it Anime hyper

Key wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Key, the rules look good! My only comment is that I think googling a quote should be expressly against the rules so that we don't have to go through a similar thing as what happened in the Character game.

That would be a very hard rule to enforce, though. With it being classified as "unsportsmanlike behavior," it gives me (or other Mods) more room for discretion on whether or not a case is egregious enough to warrant banning someone from the game.
Okay that sounds good, as long as there is still a way to take care of a problem if one arises.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
The quote is spoiler[ Haruki Asami from Skip Beat, It's what she's thinking when witnessing a scene in a music video shoot between Kyoko and Sho Fuwa for one of his songs, he is so shocked at Kyoko's tears that he forgets to close his eyes as the scene dictates.]

I've seen it recently so I knew it without the hint, but the speaker wasn't listed in the character lists I checked at first, so I had to wait to double check it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
Darn, can't believe I missed a spoiler[Skip Beat] quote. Sad One of the shows I like getting quotes from.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
That's correct!
That scene is my favorite in the entire show... and that is saying a lot.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
Fansub

We're going to completely ignore
[give-away info] and [more give-away info] and have a swimsuit festival at a hot summer beach. Service, service. Service, service. Service, service.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Round 5 scores have now been posted here.

Key, you can now amend the OP. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Key, you can now amend the OP. Wink

Done. I've also updated the "ID it as sub/dub/fansub" rule to conform to what we've been discussing; see the change in red.

Concerning the scoring results: Thanks for the hard work, errinundra! And man, even though I've place in the top three each of the last four rounds and have never been lower than 5th, I just can't seem to get over the hump and claim the #1 spot. . . Rolling Eyes

The current quote sounds familiar but I'm not placing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hint 1: spoiler[Although this is from an OVA, it's still odd that this is unavailable legally in the US as it fits well with what came before and after, both of which are available here... although not to the same degree.]

Hint 2: spoiler[If I were to post an audio clip like Boomerang Flash does it would take about one syllable to figure this one out. I particularly like the unique Japanese enunciation used on the six borrowed word "services" and while I won't describe it phonetically I will say the subbers choice to separate the lines in pairs of two with periods at the end is a significant one.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Though I had only seen the second season of this series, I was able to figure it out from your hints and My Anime list. Just had to view the OVA in question to make sure I had the right speaker and context.

spoiler[It's from the Hayate the Combat Butler OVA episode. The speaker is the narrator, talking to the viewers themselves, in the opening moments of the OVA.]

EDIT: Oh, I don't have a quote ready, so pass if/when I'm confirmed as correct.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
yep, that's it.
spoiler[Service, servisuuuu. Service servisuuuu. Service servisuuuu.]

open turn...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 101