• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Shoten Reportedly Says April Haruhi is Rerun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
My mistake I've thought I've heard that Kadokawa owned Haruhi(the rights or w/e). Certainly their cover is misleading, you're telling me that nobody thought to put a simple re-run on the cover? They hyped up an announcement in the previous issue making it seems like a big deal. This was purposefully misleading so they could increase their sales. My point still stands that this was all a big publicity stunt and I'm done with the franchise and KyoAni. Either way somebody is to blame for this being essentially a great troll. Watch they announce another Key adaptation for the spring....
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
My mistake I've thought I've heard that Kadokawa owned Haruhi(the rights or w/e).

Kadokawa does own the Haruhi franchise. They also happen to own Newtype. I would think this is a large reason why Newtype gets so many Haruhi exclusives.
Jarmel wrote:

My point still stands that this was all a big publicity stunt and I'm done with the franchise and KyoAni. Watch they announce another Key adaptation for the spring....

Well, think of it this way, it certainly wasn't intended to be a big international publicity stunt. But again, you're confusing KyoAni, an animation production studio, with Kadokawa, a multi-media publisher. KyoAni does not own Haruhi--they animated it. If Kadokawa wished, they could use another animation studio for the second season.

Last edited by Draneor on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Sorry let me be more specific then, either KyoAni, Kadokawa, or the editors of Newtype are to blame for this. It certainly seems that it was to be misleading with the wording they used and the hype generated from the previous issue. You even had Aya Hirano do the commercial and you are telling me nobody had the common sense to mention even once that it's a re-run? That's like the New York Times or w/e saying that Nolan Batman movie going into theaters when it's just a re-run of the Dark Knight, they would have people breaking down the doors.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Sorry let me be more specific then, either KyoAni, Kadokawa, or the editors of Newtype are to blame for this. It certainly seems that it was to be misleading with the wording they used and the hype generated from the previous issue. You even had Aya Hirano do the commercial and you are telling me nobody had the common sense to mention even once that it's a re-run?

All am I saying is it would be prudent to wait until you can read the article before jumping to conclusions and assigning blame. It could very well be what you think it is—but until Newtype is published, we don’t know what it actually says.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
that is too bad. I was looking forward to Haruhi s2
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
It could be a cunning plan - repeat the original series THEN start series 2, once people have had a reminder of what the first series was like and (they hope) the repeat has attracted new fans.

Or they're just doing it to annoy fanboys waiting for season 2...!
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Much of the delay is because they're trying to come up with a dance that tops S1's ED dance.

... don't think I'm being sarcastic either. Anime cry
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
It could be a cunning plan - repeat the original series THEN start series 2, once people have had a reminder of what the first series was like and (they hope) the repeat has attracted new fans.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Or if nothing else, drop hints during commercials for S2, or do SOMETHING differently that will get people to go "OOH did you see that?!"
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
Sorry let me be more specific then, either KyoAni, Kadokawa, or the editors of Newtype are to blame for this. It certainly seems that it was to be misleading with the wording they used and the hype generated from the previous issue. You even had Aya Hirano do the commercial and you are telling me nobody had the common sense to mention even once that it's a re-run?

All am I saying is it would be prudent to wait until you can read the article before jumping to conclusions and assigning blame. It could very well be what you think it is—but until Newtype is published, we don’t know what it actually says.

In that case somebody would be to blame for having a crappy PR representative. Either way we got trolled either yesterday or today. I mean look at Bones, they don't do this crap. FMA is arguably just as big a franchise as Haruhi and they didn't make a big deal out of it, if it hadn't been for that article leak most people would not have had any clue that there was another FMA 2 on the way. I'm starting to think the author can't finish the novels for some reason and Kadokawa and KyoAni don't want to touch the franchise now. Is KyoAni even doing a show in the spring as it seems that they would have announced it by now?

Oh and I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you about S2 airing after S1, they would have probably put that on the cover instead of the re-airing and the representative said that they had nothing to announce which pretty much means this is just a re-airing and that's it.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I'm starting to think the author can't finish the novels for some reason and Kadokawa and KyoAni don't want to touch the franchise now. Is KyoAni even doing a show in the spring as it seems that they would have announced it by now?

Yeah, there's something not right about the S2 delay. If you have a property that popular, that's generated ginormous revenue, you don't just let it languish as the fan base shrinks and moves on.

I agree the rerun may be part of the plan to rejuvenate the fans. That would be the smartest thing to do if the plans are finally progressing for S2. They do need to get it out there. As great as MoSH was, it isn't Evangelion where you can make money on it for decades before releasing new (i.e., re-worked) editions.

S2 will definitely generate lots of interest, but the longer they delay, the less. And of course, now it's like that old story about the first kiss. You've missed so many opportunities and delayed it so long, that now it has to be one hell of kiss. If S2 isn't great, it will fall like lead whereas for example, shows like the lesser Zero no Tsukaima pushing out seasons rapidly can overcome a second-season slump.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
If S2 isn't great, it will fall like lead whereas for example, shows like the lesser Zero no Tsukaima pushing out seasons rapidly can overcome a second-season slump.

Except that those subsequent seasons were definitely lacking compared to the first, even if they were out soon after each other.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
You are absolutely screwing with me. Screw kyoani, what a bunch of absolute douchebags.

Well I always had this feeling that KyoAni was the most overrated studio in the industry, and this announcement just helps my cause.

Except it doesn't - KyoAni probably has nothing to do with this as they do not own the rights to make any Haruhi related unless they get greenlight from the rights holder which is Kadokawa, Kyoani is and had always been contracted by Kadokawa to do the animation, they never own any of the rights to the Haruhi anime (nor Lucky Star, nor Full Metal Panic, FWIW). You don't know who's screwing around to make something like this happen, it could be Kadokawa making unreasonable demand for all we know (refer to article not so long ago about animation contracting companies not abiding to contracts), or it could very well be Kyoani not wanting to work with Kadokawa. But either way it doesn't add any support nor evidence for your argument that Kyoani is overrated anyway.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am Reply with quote
See, I THOUGHT the word relaunch was a bit odd.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
The cake is a lie! Laughing I guessed it was a rerun.
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
A Rerun? Would a rerun claim the Cover Story for Newtype? Is the series really THAT popular?

Also, I don' t know if anyone' s noticed that this rerun seems to be 3 YEARS after the original airing? Does that time length suggest anything to fans? (I' m holding on to the hope that this is more than just a rerun.)

At least we have that Youtube version to look foward to....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5