• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video Game Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
What survey?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Since when can you buy computer games used?
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Survey complete, a few notes:
For new vs. used games, there's no 6+ months for new, but there is for used. I buy plenty of new games that are older releases and I'm sure many others do. For instance, many Nintendo games still sell new long after their respective release dates.
Under Genre, Adventure is listed twice.
The list of video game publishers that you follow most closely, implies that you should select only one publisher, but you can select as many as you want.

I look forward to seeing these results!

Edit:
Also, under game publishers, considering the type of games released, I'm surprised that XSeed, Atlus, NISA and other companies that release similar niche titles weren't listed.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
That was the easiest survey I've ever taken. It required absolutely no work.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Can I ask for Valve to be added to the list of publishers? It's really odd that it's missing. I can accept not having Starcraft while having Diablo and Warcraft, but at least please add Valve.

It's also funny that since I still have my floppy disks for X-Wing that I could answer that I own a game from the Star Wars franchise (though I do have Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 downloaded from Steam anyway).
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I just did the survey, the last 2 question I chose yes because well why not, if Kotaku and IGN can report on non-video game news (Kotaku report on anime), then I don't see how ANN report on non-anime/manga be any different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
iPad was not one of the choices for devices. Not sure if that was intentional or accidental, since iPhone was listed.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Of the following list of video game publishers, which do you follow the most closely, or look forward to the releases of?

Since my pick wasn't on the list, I'll just say it here. NISA is the one publisher I'll buy every game they release.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
No tales or persona? Kinda odd but whatever. anyway is it just me or does the poll look completely one sided with every option?
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I was reminded of the Nintendo fanboy I am answering this poll.
marie1901

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I guess it wouldn't matter to me if it was used or not but I don't know I've never bought a used PC game before, never even thought about it
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this because I have been gaming for 18 years, but this survey results were completely different than I could have expected. Now this could just my memory, but from what I remember, not that long ago Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Legend Of Zelda were typically on the list on games people owned, would purchase and so on.

I also remember RPG being a very popular (and also my personal favorite genre also) not that long ago. Square Enix (well figuratively speaking Squre Soft and Enix merged years ago, so there is always a chance others may not know this) and Nintendo ranked as companies fellow gamers followed closely.

But I know the gaming industry has changed over decade, let alone last 18 years. The Nintendo I remember as a young gamer no longer exists, Square Enix has changed slightly over the years, but the Final Fantasy series has changed radically.

Quite frankly, I haven't done a great deal of gaming in these couple of years, as Nintendo really hasn't licensed any games that caught my eye (I never thought I'd be saying this when I was still a new gamer), I haven't bought neither a ATLUS USA nor a NISA game since 08-09 and haven't bought the latest Final Fantasy game in years.

While I have bought all the Final Fantasy games on the Nintendo Wii channel, I haven't bought a Final Fantasy console game since Final Fantasy 10 was released for the Playstation two or maybe it was for the Nintendo DS remake? Ever since Final Fantasy has put more focus on the online aspect, I really haven't had much interest in the series.

Don't get me wrong, I've played MMORPG games and for a time they are fun, but eventually you level up your character to the max (or close to that) and there really isn't much to do in the game, as MMORPG games don't have endings. Dragon Quest recently has made a MMORPG game, hopefully that doesn't become their main focus.

With Nintendo, while this likely won't happen, I would really like to play Earthbound again. Could easily be just a Nintendo Wii channel exclusive if they wanted to save money. I'd be more than willing to pay 9000 to 10000 points for the game. This is probably the best off the wall RPG game I'll likely ever play in my time as a gamer and probably the most memorable as well. Yes I know legal issues prevent Nintendo from re-releasing this though. Multiple (unanswered) emails, phone calls that went no where and letters that went unanswered tell me there isn't much interest left in this game though as well.

I'd ask for Mother 3, but I think I'd have better luck seeing Earthbound re-released. I know that is a lost cause, so I gave up that battle years and years ago.
Scormio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of confused why ATLUS and the Persona series weren't on this survey, considering they're heavily anime influenced and even got an anime based on one of the games.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Yeah, I spotted that too. I had to reread the question since I wasn't sure I read it right.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Yeah, I spotted that too. I had to reread the question since I wasn't sure I read it right.

I bought a few games used and they worked like Star Wars Rebellion
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6