• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maoyū Maō Yūsha Fantasy Novels Inspire TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Not entirely sure which Manga is the legit one, hopefully the one I'm reading.

Apparently there are multiple, simultaneous releases so I'm not sure either (if it helps, the one I tried was by Ishida Akira, erm, the mangaka not the VA, and has the subtitles "Be Mine Hero!" "I Refuse!").
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I may like this as an anime viewer (will have to see when it's out) but the concept bothers me as it's stated.

War can't be justified by saying it keeps civil war away. It sounds like something a totalitarian state would claim to keep people in line.

Assuming the anime follows the same basic structure as other adaptations, you'll get the full explanation in the first episode, but the gist is this: spoiler[The human economy has restructured itself around rich, fertile lands paying poorer nations between them and the demons for protection. This has resulted in the poorer lands developing large standing armies to fight the demons. Should the Holy War end, those soldiers will return to their poor homelands which are unable to support them. The prediction is that they would then move against the richer nations to obtain the resources they need to sustain their people. The theory is that by improving the poorer nations while maintaining a technical state of war (but minimizing actual warfare) the war can be brought to a close without the returning soldiers having to pillage other nations to survive. Not mentioned in the news post is that it's not purely altruistic on the part of the demon queen - without a war to unite them, the demons would also fall back into the way of might-makes-right, tribal warfare. And finally, there's not much chance of the war ending soon without their conspiracy anyway, as Hero's original goal of assassinating Demon Queen would only result in a new Demon Lord taking her place and continuing the war, one that probably won't being trying the end the war in a way beneficial to both humans and demons.]

I'm very much looking forward to an anime adaptation Smile
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh ok, that's nothing like what I was thinking. Strangely I'm kind of disappointed. There goes my chance to rant about economics every episode... lol.
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Oh ok, that's nothing like what I was thinking. Strangely I'm kind of disappointed. There goes my chance to rant about economics every episode... lol.

Oh, you never know... spoiler[There are additional economic bits relating to how much of the money the richer nations are sending to the poor nations is in an indirect way subsidising their own merchants by improving the market for their goods in the poor nations] ...you might be able to find something there to criticise, since that leans more towards Keynesian than Austrian. But you're probably right - that's only one element of the story, and I can't think of any other economic bits like that.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't want to argue against spoilers too much but that might be interesting to talk about more when I see the context. I'll just start off with my impression on that particular thing being somewhat mixed. I wouldn't say it's actually wrong but there is the "unseen" counteractive effects, and it's difficult to say for sure without knowing more context.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
Didn't Gundam already try this premise?
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
Oh HELL yes. I really love this series. (Just got some of the manga shipped over from Japan recently even) IMHO I like the chara designs from the "Be mine! I refuse!" version of the manga adaptation. But the LN designs are of course nice as well.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this, but when something is even remotely compared to Spice & Wolf my ears prick up, (ironic Pony Canyon is involved, or is it?). Now, if we can only get Watanabe to direct it.... Anime smile + sweatdrop
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Spice & Wolf comparisons? A premise for a fantasy series that's actually above average? If they stick to the tasteful portrayal of the characters(as it seems to be the case with the original story, at least from what was said here) this could become a real highlight.
MopZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
Cool, Useless-Meat is getting an anime! I've been keeping up with one of the translations, so I haven't read the others. But, I drop everything else to read a new chapter when it's out.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
... clearly all the fanservice was manga-original...

I don't know about that. She's still very well-endowed in the novels art as the manga and other materials artwork. It's just prettier looking, tbh.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Wel,, this sounds a lot more interesting than most light novels which get animated. Again, I pricked up my ears at the Spice and Wolf comparison... I wonder if they'll use the same art style as the one in the image from the article. I hope so, as I really like that.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
And wow that art style is, um, different from the manga version I was reading, clearly all the fanservice was manga-original...

The S&W anime was adapted with a TV audience in mind (albeit the 1-3am audience in Japan), whereas Keito Koume (the manga illustrator) was under no such limitations. The S&W manga follows the light novels more closely than the anime, but the scenes in question are played up a bit more by Koume (she's also known for her H and Ero works), whereas they're downplayed a bit more in the anime.

Tomibiki wrote:
Not entirely sure which Manga is the legit one, hopefully the one I'm reading.

The release by Kadokawa Comics Ace is the most favored, but all of the various commercial Maoyuu manga releases are "official" as far as I'm aware.

njprogfan wrote:
Never heard of this, but when something is even remotely compared to Spice & Wolf my ears prick up, (ironic Pony Canyon is involved, or is it?). Now, if we can only get Watanabe to direct it.... ^_^'

It's probably the closest that fans will ever get to a S&W season 3. The relationship between Maou and Hero seems reminiscent of Holo/Lawrence in the early part of S&W, so if you like kinda-playful, kinda-antagonistic, kinda-dancing-around-a-more-serious-relationship, I suspect it'll be the same for this. Personally, I'm a sucker for it.

OTOH, I'm surprised that this is happening with "only" 450k novels sold. I'm not sure, but some brief internet sleuthing suggests that Spice and Wolf was in the ballpark of 1-2 million novels sold when the anime was announced, which was ~2 years after the novels began being published, similar to Maouyuu. Hopefully novel sales aren't a good predictor of the total anime budget.

Also, yo Dormcat. Good to see a familiar face around here. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:15 am Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
[...] so if you like kinda-playful, kinda-antagonistic, kinda-dancing-around-a-more-serious-relationship, I suspect it'll be the same for this. Personally, I'm a sucker for it.

I'd say I simply like female characters that are headstrong and self-aware and do not need a male shoulder to lean on.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
The S&W manga follows the light novels more closely than the anime, but the scenes in question are played up a bit more by Koume (she's also known for her H and Ero works), whereas they're downplayed a bit more in the anime.

FYI: Koume is male; I met him in person but was not allowed to take photo. Kadokawa Taiwan invited him to promote S&W manga but his fans brought all sorts of ero-doujinshi he drew. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
They may considering Maoyuu to be a series ripe for driving up LN and manga sales if they were to release an anime for it. Since not only is there the LN, but like 4 manga variants. So they could push up considerable sales in the printed material if the anime is a success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3