• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Occult Academy Sub.Blu-Ray 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series and I think the review is pretty accurate. Like Theron said it does get a bit weaker towards the end. In one sense it felt like they waited too long to resolve the main issue with several side tracking episodes and then sprinted to the end. However, I like Maya especially her character design and expressions which I thought were hilarious. Though Maya could be a little too violent at times and Bunmei was also a bit too spineless for my tastes. I thought it was a good show not a great show, but I sometimes don't understand the hate it gets from some people.

Its too bad its not a BD/DVD combo and it doesn't have a dub. I don't mind that NISA doesn't do dubs, but there are a few releases of theirs that I would have liked to seen a dub. This might have been fun with a dub. Still I aim to pick this show up.
drale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm a little offended not having a dub is listed as a con...
I'm not trying to be a weeabo here, but I have yet to see a show in the last 5 years with a dub that does justice to the original cast. Without fail, the American voice actors are inevitably not as talented.
Though I understand some people are illiterate and prefer lines that don't quite match up and are sometimes dead wrong and out of place.

That being said, I pretty much agree with everything else in this review. I feel like the show definitely gets way more hate than it deserves.
Vortigernus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
drale wrote:
I'm a little offended not having a dub is listed as a con...
I'm not trying to be a weeabo here, but I have yet to see a show in the last 5 years with a dub that does justice to the original cast. Without fail, the American voice actors are inevitably not as talented.
Though I understand some people are illiterate and prefer lines that don't quite match up and are sometimes dead wrong and out of place.

That being said, I pretty much agree with everything else in this review. I feel like the show definitely gets way more hate than it deserves.

houston, we have a troll here, please advise
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
drale wrote:

No, you are pretty much being a weeabo with that rather insulting last sentence added on. I probably would have dismissed your statement as "different strokes for different folks" had you not added that.

Frankly, whenever people make statements like "I've seen no dub in the last five years that does justice to the original cast," I have to wonder how much dubbed anime that person has actually watched in that time frame. Sure, there have been some inadequate ones, but there have also been series like Deadman Wonderland, which I first saw subbed but have been really enjoying in dubbed form; through five episodes so far, virtually every casting choice and performance has been spot-on and I like the way they expanded the amount of swearing in it. It's a crass series, so it should sound crass.

I could give a lot of other examples, too, but I don't want to turn this thread into another sub/dub debate so I'll leave it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of the dubbed Deadman and I found the kids voices way too annoying; granted the rest of the cast sounded okay and Steve Blum is doing the BAMF of the series so it probably won't be that bad. Still, and it could be because I have had a girl-crush on 花澤香菜 ever since Oriemo that I find the English dub of her character so lacking, but as you say different strokes for different folks.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching this for the second time and I must say I enjoyed it even more. Knowing certain details ahead of time made it interesting watching some of the character's reactions. Theron is spot on about the background art which gets lost in the shuffle as I was viewing it back in 2010. I wasn't the biggest Maya fan back then, but I've warmed up to her and agree her facial expressions are very memorable. I get a kick whenever Mizure pops up as she was very entertaining from the beginning to the end, as was Chihiro. Disagreeing with Theron, I believe the ending was very satisfying and although seemingly rushed, concluded, for me, in a clever way. Spending extra on a series, especially one as well packaged as NISA's, goes over well when the series is one that can be enjoyed more then once. I can say without a doubt I'll be watching Occult Academy more often then not.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Maya was the hottest girl of 2010, after all.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Like with most of the Anime no Chikara block, Occult Academy had an interesting premise and some fun episodes, but it ultimately failed in execution and didn't fulfill the potential it had. It's not a bad show, but it's never one I would want to rewatch.

spoiler[SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
To me, this show never lived up to the promise of its brilliant first episode. Some of the middle arcs were completely unnecessary, and the whole ending hinges on a paradox that pretty much negates the time travel rules the show itself set up.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
To me, this show never lived up to the promise of its brilliant first episode. Some of the middle arcs were completely unnecessary, and the whole ending hinges on a paradox that pretty much negates the time travel rules the show itself set up.

This.

It also forgets that the first episode set up an interesting conflict that could carry the whole series; Maya's mixed feelings of anger, longing and grief regarding her father. I wanted to see where that went but it's forgotten by episode three (until it suddenly pops up again in episode 10 spoiler[and then it turns out her father isn't even dead, dropping the story entirely.]) and instead we get another tsundere romance.

Why on Earth does Bunmei become the main character at the end? Maya does little more than get carried from place to place, figuratively and literally.

I agree with "Anime no Chikara"'s premise of encouraging original animated productions rather than always adapting manga or light novels, but the writers didn't really turn in something that fuctions very well as a series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The thing I love most about Occult Academy {the show} is the details {not just the background}. The design of the school is straight out of Dario Argento movies like Suspiria and Phenomenon and that's quite evident in the first episode.

So first half stylish and moody. The second half turns into a crass Evil Dead "cameo" and manages to showup the first half.

The show's fine and I love it, a pleasing mix of Scooby Doo and the Twilight Zone, pity the BD is so subpar. Well, that's the way NISA wants to play it. Every time they license a show, a little ray of hope within me dies. But luckily for me, they're mostly small business and they don't bother my anime viewing habits. You know, watching Japanese and English anime and most importantly to me, choosing which to watch when.

Toradora. Damn, someone just had to go and mention that one. I'll go and sulk now...
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's sad that "Occult Academy" doesn't have a dub. It would do better with an English dub. I wish NIS would dub at least some of their anime into English. The review was right to put this in the negative category.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I also thought they could've done without some of the middle episodes which felt like "filler" even though it's an original project. Although the anime is fun overall, the story would have been very unsubstantial if not for the last couple eps. But since it's only 1 cour I wish they used all the episodes to focus on the sci-fi aspect spoiler[used to explain the occult, the alien invasion, the time travel,] Maya and Fumiaki's relationship, etc; basically all the things leading up to the ending

Last edited by configspace on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The show was great except for the last episode.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
There a reason why the title is called "Sub. Blu-Ray 1"?

At first I thought you guys were reviewing it one disc at a time or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3