• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch 24-Hour Anime Service on Major Game Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think this is a good idea. Now if only Viz would stream BLUE DRAGON! But I can't complain too much. This is the first time in a long time that Viz actually does something right (at least in my eyes). This idea has so much potential. Let's just hope Viz doesn't screw this up.
Sketchor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sketchor wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
$6.99 is a lot considering NetFlix is only $8.99 a month and I would get 600% more content?

And NetFlix has a lot of anime to choose from.

But potentially not all the dubs or even any of the dubs that will be on Neon Alley.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

That's placing value only on the dubs, and few of them at all. I'd rather have more content overall.

Making people pay for subs is silly considering they offer all of those on-demand for free currently.

The only incentive sub watchers would have for this is to be able to watch subs on their TV and they'd probably choose Hulu Plus over that.

They're banking on dub fans wanting this service.

I've seen many people complain that Viz doesn't stream dubs and doesn't even offer them on Netflix or Hulu Plus despite them costing a subscription fee. This service is addressing that concern as well as giving dub viewers a more affordable option than The FUNimation Channel which very few providers even carry at this point.

Personally I feel they'd be better off putting these dubs on Netflix and Hulu Plus but some people do happen to like the structure of a linear channel. Though unlike Hulu this will be available in Canada.

I don't see it being a break-out success but I do see it being able to sustain itself. And if it can't then it essentially proves there is not enough demand for dubbed anime in American anymore.

I don't expect that many people on here to care about dubbed anime but the people who do will see this service as a worthwhile endeavor.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
@Sketchor, agreed. This is really more for the dubbies and the Toonami crowd. Speaking of which. Wonder how this will affect Toonami. Will VIZ only be putting dubs on this streaming service from now on? Or will they put some shows on this and offer them to Toonami/AS. Considering its VIZ I would think they would want to cover all there bases with the anime they dub to make as much $$$ as possible, but who knows.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I expect the hipsters who have perverted terms like "irony" and "meta" to try and bastardize "agnostic" into a direct synonym for "independent", but I expect much better from a supposedly-professional press release. Some people... Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You may want to have a word with the Oxford English Dictionary before blaming hipsters:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/agnostic
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Well, it's almost certainly for XBox. Microsoft's the only player actively pushing content like this.

Yeah, MS has in the last several months been aggressively pushing Xbox as an all-entertainment hub and building up its Xbox TV, following the lead of Google TV and ahead of the rumored Apple TV (PS3 has yet any plans to get in the race). Xbox has been adding stuff like crazy, from apps like Youtube (which AFAIK PS3 still doesn't have, instead they prefer using their web browser), the new SmartGlass demo to control Xbox TV from a smartphone or tablet, to channels like HBO and Manga Entertainment (yeah, they're still alive).

Plus, that Viz is in R1 market and intends these dubs for the casual fans and Xbox Live is the largest online console market in R1, it'd make sense for them to go for that market.

On the other hand, the timing (Fall 2012) may coincide with the Wii U (Holiday 2012), barring unexpected delays. It'd depend how well Nintendo gets its online marketplace integrated with the Wii U, glitches with any new system, and of course how fast it takes and how large the consumer base for the Wii U be to reach sustainable mass for this commercial venture. These are some risks for Viz.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 am Reply with quote
Only one platform? This thing's already dead before it even launches. This is a niche service, and niche services should be in as many venues as possible because people are not going to go out of their way to support you. It should be web/ios/android/ps3/360/wiiu/roku/whatever.

While Microsoft has been pushing media on 360 you have to think about demographics here. I'd reckon the average PS3 owner is more in tune with anime than the average 360 owner by virtue of Sony being a Japanese company, and thus having a platform with many Japanese games. This is in addition to the fact that potential subscribers must be signed up and paying for Xbox Live before being able to even sign up for this service.

As for Wii U, that would be by far the worst platform to launch this service on. There is no userbase that exists for it to support such a service. Not only that, but I really doubt that Viz, a manga/anime distributor is going to be one of the earliest media companies on the platform. There's no frame of reference on there.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
Guys, read the press release. It says "consoles", not "a console" like the ANN article implies. I'm assuming it was a mistake on their end.
metroid24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
nice i already know its Gonna be on Xbox live 1st with bigger market they could easily make a kinect APP plus the way sony has been they wont know about this til after XBOX live gets it as for nintendo they are too busy working on the wii u to add a new app they need to add to 2 apps they promised 1st hulu and movie rentals
captokita

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote
So let me see....

Similar to Hulu Plus, we blend a subscription and advertising model to keep the cost low and bring the best uncut, English-dubbed content to fans, and in HD when available. Please register on NeonAlley.com for news & updates on special introductory offers!

So you want me to pay $7 a month, for DUB ONLY, with limited shows, AND you'll feed me ads? There's a reason I won't go near Hulu, and this is the reason. If I'm PAYING for it, I shouldn't have to see ads. AN ad perhaps, but with the way hulu does it makes it annoying as fark.

So no thanks VIZ, you would think you would be smarter than this, as you have quite a library of titles to showcase on such a service. But alas, you're blowing it.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
I like the sub stuff from japan and the thing called demand play ability.
This is pay for tv to me with all the limitations.

I means we get ads at movie theaters already! and look at the cost! its not like the price went down!

lord..

I will keep supporting Viz and Funimation and Crunchyroll!
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The only thing i'm even remotely interested in is the inuyasha the final act dub.

I mean jesus that crap has taken so long to get dubbed.

But ads on top of paying already? Give me a break, thats why hulu is garbage.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The service will show anime uncut, dubbed in English, and in HD when available. It will host the English dub premieres of Tiger & Bunny, Inuyasha: The Final Act, Zetman, Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne, and new episodes of Naruto Shippūden. It will also show films such as the Berserk: The Golden Age Arc film trilogy. The service will also run original content with news and behind-the-scenes information on anime and manga.

Yeah. I can understand this. It makes sense.

Quote:
Viz Media is announcing on Wednesday that it will launch Neon Alley, a 24-hour anime service on a major game console to be revealed later. The service will debut this fall and will be available in the United States and Canada.

The bold, on the other hand, does not.
Seriously, VIZ?
You geo-lock your streams and yet you think I'll buy into this?

Sorry, I'll wait for the DVDs. Whenever that happens.

If that ever happens.
Eternal Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Well great, i'm not a gamer so not gonna apply to me >.<
Applen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sketchor wrote:
I don't see it being a break-out success but I do see it being able to sustain itself. And if it can't then it essentially proves there is not enough demand for dubbed anime in American anymore.

I don't expect that many people on here to care about dubbed anime but the people who do will see this service as a worthwhile endeavor.

I disagree with the bold part. Should this fail it will not be prove there is not enough demand for dubbed anime in America anymore. I think what will affect the service is if it remains a gaming console only service because it will be eliminating fans who do not have access to a gaming console. And another thing that might affect it is the lack of on demand service as this might be a turn off to some.
taco123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Quote:
The service will show anime uncut, dubbed in English, and in HD when available. It will host the English dub premieres of Tiger & Bunny, Inuyasha: The Final Act, Zetman, Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne, and new episodes of Naruto Shippūden. It will also show films such as the Berserk: The Golden Age Arc film trilogy. The service will also run original content with news and behind-the-scenes information on anime and manga.

Yeah. I can understand this. It makes sense.

Quote:
Viz Media is announcing on Wednesday that it will launch Neon Alley, a 24-hour anime service on a major game console to be revealed later. The service will debut this fall and will be available in the United States and Canada.

The bold, on the other hand, does not.
Seriously, VIZ?
You geo-lock your streams and yet you think I'll buy into this?

Sorry, I'll wait for the DVDs. Whenever that happens.

If that ever happens.
Haha, why did you bolden Canada? Do you not want them to see it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6