• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z to Rerun on Japanese TV in HD in April

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
This is great news to hear that they're re-airing DBZ in HD format for the series' 20th anniversary, but I was kind of hoping for a new Dragon Ball series instead. The recent Jump Festa DBZ special showed potential for a new DB series with today's animation technology.

Nonetheless, it will be awesome to watch Dragon Ball in widescreen 1080p format compared to Funi's crappy US season set releases, which had terrible color transfer, not to mention terrible monaural audio for the Japanese track.
Afax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
I didn't think it was possible, but Funimations DBZ sets are even more worthless now Shocked
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well I am looking forward to it. I can update my DB set and hopefully end up with the whole series this time around.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:
Nonetheless, it will be awesome to watch Dragon Ball in widescreen 1080p format compared to Funi's crappy US season set releases, which had terrible color transfer, not to mention terrible monaural audio for the Japanese track.

I do want to point out that, being a product of 1989-1995 and a weekly Japanese TV show, per the norm at the time, DBZ *only* has a mono soundtrack in Japan. There was no stereo soundtrack for Toei to provide FUNimation with. As far as I am aware of, only the 10th anniversary movie and (of course) the recent Jump Anime Tour special have stereo audio tracks.

That is most likely the reason why the "soundtrack" (meaning the voices and sound effects) are being completely re-done for this "refreshed" production of the series, so the treatment to both the video and audio are at least as equal as they can be.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification VegettoEX!
Jarm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Awesome Dragonball Z HD, fireball action so spectacular it will BURN YOUR EYES OUT OF YOUR SOCKETS!!!!

This will be something "dragonball" that I'm actually looking forward to this April besides a certain film that doesn't exist in my mind. Though no haruhi season 2 Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Jarm on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It's rather too bad that Japan hadn't decided to do this first, as then Funimation could have used their remasters for their DVDs, not to mention have remastered audio for Japanese and English. Maybe Funi will rerelease them someday with both? (Actually that would suck, because then I'd have to buy all of DBZ again...)

Although, watch this have turned out that rather than remastering the footage themselves, Toei uses Funimation's. Laughing On a similar note, I wonder if people will complain about these being cut for widescreen now that it's the original Japanese animators doing it and not Funimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Although, watch this have turned out that rather than remastering the footage themselves, Toei uses Funimation's. Laughing On a similar note, I wonder if people will complain about these being cut for widescreen now that it's the original Japanese animators doing it and not Funimation.

Unlike FUNimation's new "HD masters" which literally do crop off the top and bottom ~20% of the originally-available video, Toei is instead extending the original frames horizontally to add rather than subtract from the video. Futurama had a similar goings-ons with the first new movie (16:9) and scenes from the original run of the TV series (4:3).
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
Unlike FUNimation's new "HD masters" which literally do crop off the top and bottom ~20% of the originally-available video, Toei is instead extending the original frames horizontally to add rather than subtract from the video. Futurama had a similar goings-ons with the first new movie (16:9) and scenes from the original run of the TV series (4:3).

What's the source for this? The Shonen Jump scan that appeared online today doesn't mention the aspect ratio or how Toei is handling the frames.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

What's the source for this? The Shonen Jump scan that appeared online today doesn't mention the aspect ratio or how Toei is handling the frames.

One of the people actually working on the test versions of this product let us know about it last month on the Daizenshuu EX forums, long before the Shonen Jump announcement (also our source for the character design sheets from the Jump Anime Tour special, leading us to have full confidence in said information).
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

One of the people actually working on the test versions of this product let us know about it last month on the Daizenshuu EX forums, long before the Shonen Jump announcement (also our source for the character design sheets from the Jump Anime Tour special, leading us to have full confidence in said information).

Specific link, please?

EDIT: Oh, found the anonymous source link.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Specific link, please?

Sure!

- We received the Jump Anime Tour character design sheets back in October before its actual premier (spread over the course of a bunch of updates, and later collected as a batch over at Kanzentai).

- We got wind of this "new treatment" to DBZ back on January 18th ("The touch-ups will include some re-done background art (most likely to broaden certain scenes for widescreen)", among others).

Haven't posted at the ANN forums in quite some time (years?), so I haven't had a chance to review any possibly-updated rules. Hope that's all good-to-go!
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for digitally-enhanced pointless filler with only about 10 seconds of actual fighting. Rolling Eyes

I'm just wondering if the Japanese audience will be in the mood for it, after its childhood gets raped by FOX. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I just hope people are ready to get another helping of Kamehameha.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Great news. Although I hope they will kill all the useless filler and use the manga as a source. I did wish they would have started from Dragonball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5