• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's Original Ed, Al to Reprise Roles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Electrastar wrote:
Rie own's the role of Edward, she's awesome as him...

Uh ... Rie played Alphonse, not Edward. I'm assuming you meant: "Romi owns the role of Edward." Conversely, you could have also meant: "Rie owns the role of Alphonse." Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Electrastar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Electrastar wrote:
Rie own's the role of Edward, she's awesome as him...

Uh ... Rie played Alphonse, not Edward. I'm assuming you meant: "Romi owns the role of Edward." Conversely, you could have also meant: "Rie owns the role of Alphonse." Smile

*Ahem...thanks for correcting me on that. Must be becaue I haven't watch the anime in a while. Embarassed
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
We can only hope that Vic Mignogna and Aaron Dismuke do the same.

That also assumes that Funimation will get the license for this. They've hinted that they may and my guess is they will - I only hope is that if they get it, they'll do what they've done with Shikabane-hime and stream it online here as it comes out in Japan. I'm a firm believer in getting to preview things before I buy them, but I don't enjoy violating licenses either.
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, well, only one word can summarize this news "awesome". Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pleased by this news. Romi Paku brings such intensity to the role of Edward Elric, she's perfect as him. It really wouldn't be the same without her.

I don't really care whether the dub gets the same cast or not, since I didn't like most of the performances, but Aaron Dismuke was actually good as Alphonse, at least as good as Rie Kugimiya, and one of the few good performances in that dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope this gets licensed in time for them to do legal streams like they do with shippuden now. The spoiler[Mustang vs lust ]fight alone is worth watching it. I hope they cast the same dub actor for Mustang.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Now if only Rie can turn Al into more a tsundere charatcer. "S-stupid Ed, it's not like I wanted to revive mother, I just miss her cooking is all."

ugh sorry I think I just got throw up in my mouth. Why the hell would they make Al tsundere? What the hell is wrong with the dynamics between brothers between the headstrong Ed, and the calm mature Al.

As for Aaron Dismuke I hope Funi figures out that Al shouldn't sound the same as he did in the first series. In the first series Al's growth stopped when he lost his body, while in the manga Al's growth continues.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I couldn't care less how Aaron sounded.

They worked on that project for as long as they did, they understand it best, IMHO. If only for the sake of the fact that they probably have the most experience with the characters, they'd merely need to adapt to the differences presented in FMA2 concerning character changes.

But another thing I'm still curious about is JUST HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO BE?

I mean... It's going for a direct manga adaptation now, right? We could VERY well be looking at a two year broadcast, couldn't we?

A shounen-ish series WITHOUT the unbearable points of 'no plot development' and a lack of the ever dreaded filler arcs.

That's why FMA2 will hopefully be worth watching. The question is if it IS that long, will FUNi commit for the full run?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, because, as more fleshed out as the manga is in most cases, I felt like a lot of the early material was far better in the first anime. If they do a direct adaptation, material like the Shou Tucker situation will have a far smaller emotional impact. Hell, they did all that in a single chapter in the manga.

It's the later material which will be worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
i cast fira

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't REALLY watch the Japanese dub of FMA, so I can't be as excited as some of you are.
(I just hope the English voices stay the same too!)
I'm happy for you guys who liked the Japanese dub a lot, though Smile
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I mean... It's going for a direct manga adaptation now, right? We could VERY well be looking at a two year broadcast, couldn't we?

If they go with approximately 2 chapters a week, that would fit into a year because the manga is supposedly ending somewhere around the 100 chapter mark (which would end happening near the end of the anime run).
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's funny, because, as more fleshed out as the manga is in most cases, I felt like a lot of the early material was far better in the first anime. If they do a direct adaptation, material like the Shou Tucker situation will have a far smaller emotional impact. Hell, they did all that in a single chapter in the manga.

It's the later material which will be worth watching.

I agree fully, the anime's first half did a far better job of developing the beginning then the manga's first four volumes. Heck, the anime was what I watched first, and Maes Hughes was my favorite character. Then, I read the manga, and I was like, "what?! Hughes needs more screentime!"

Yeah, Vol. 8 or so is where it begins to kick up. And fusion duelist is right. spoiler[Lust] vs. Mustang and Havoc was one of the most intense fights I've ever soon.

Zoe: I dunno, I can't see the manga wrapping up at chapter 100. It is getting near the end-game, but I think it'll go past 100.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
i cast fira wrote:

(I just hope the English voices stay the same too!)

That's why the English dub probably should have been done the same way, i.e. hiring adult female actors to provide the voices of the two boys. You can get way more longevity that way ... just look at Nancy Cartwright, still voicing Bart Simpson after more than 20 years.
nefadol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for Aaron Dismuke I hope Funi figures out that Al shouldn't sound the same as he did in the first series. In the first series Al's growth stopped when he lost his body, while in the manga Al's growth continues.

Exactly. If this is going to be a faithful manga adaption Al should sound like a 14 year old, not a 10 year old. Aaron post-voice change should be just fine.

Last edited by nefadol on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
So they have announced already that this is a animated version of the manga or is it still up in the air?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5