• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: MegaMan NT Warrior DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:19 am Reply with quote
I've been using ANN for about a year now, and this is the most accurate review that I've read on this site since, well, ever.
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quote
I disagree.
Yes, I know the show is targeted toward the tweens but the show is not that bad. The voice acting is satisfactory and the characters are okay. I enjoyed this show more than the heavily flawed One Piece on the FoxBox.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I've been using ANN for about a year now, and this is the most accurate review that I've read on this site since, well, ever.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I know you didn't like our Komugi-chan review, but have the others been generally acceptable to you, or is this the first one that you feel is accurate?

-t
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:29 pm Reply with quote
SekiGatha wrote:
I disagree.
Yes, I know the show is targeted toward the tweens but the show is not that bad. The voice acting is satisfactory and the characters are okay. I enjoyed this show more than the heavily flawed One Piece on the FoxBox.

This comment makes me wonder how old this person is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I know you didn't like our Komugi-chan review, but have the others been generally acceptable to you, or is this the first one that you feel is accurate?

-t

"Accurate" was a poor choice of words on my behalf, I'll admit to that. I should have said "one of the best" or "great review."

Just because I disagreed with some of the items you wrote in your Komugi review doesn't mean that I didn't like it, because I did like the review, as with all of the reviews that you and the others write. They are very informative (whether I agree with them or not), and I rather use ANN's reviews to judge an anime series than, say, Newtype's. I don't have to agree with all of them, but the accuracy of the context makes them enjoyable to read. There are too many reviewers that like to trash anime and call it "things" (e.g. animeacademy.com).

I will say this: Keep up the good work!
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Let's just say I'm not in Kids WB's target audience.
And so what if I enjoy the show. All people shouldn't judge others just because of the anime they watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:45 pm Reply with quote
SekiGatha wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Let's just say I'm not in Kids WB's target audience.
And so what if I enjoy the show. All people shouldn't judge others just because of the anime they watch.

It's true, people are allowed to have their own opinions. A couple of my friends ridicule much of the anime I watch, but that's because they don't like that style of anime. I liked Witch Hunter Robin a lot, but to one of my friends, it was one of the worst animes created because "it's too slow and everyone talks too quiet and there's one boring action scene in each episode" (his words). Everyone has their own preference, and if you enjoy what you're watching, that's all that matters. (I also note that your avatar is from G Gundam, another show I had fun watching. It wasn't great IMO, but I had fun watching it to the end; my friends hated it and thought it was a sign of the apacolypse. Quote: "It's like they combined the worst parts of Gundam with all the cheesiness of DBZ and added in a ton of sh*t.")

That being said, I must agree with the review. I watched a couple of early episodes and it seemed very boring. Plus, who wants to watch a bunch of kids watch their computer program debug viruses, no matter how "cool" it looks?

Oh, and do yourself a favor, SekiGatha, and don't judge One Piece until you've read the uncut manga or watched the uncut anime instead of judging a show based on the Americanized version. The differences between the two versions of the anime can be like night and day (*cough*Cardcaptor Sakura*endcough*).
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
True, true. Many people who like Dragon Ball might not like something like Naruto or even Cowboy Bebop. Everybody likes something different than other.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SekiGatha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Oh, and do yourself a favor, SekiGatha, and don't judge One Piece until you've read the uncut manga or watched the uncut anime instead of judging a show based on the Americanized version. The differences between the two versions of the anime can be like night and day (*cough*Cardcaptor Sakura*endcough*).

Thanks. I do read the uncut manga and still watch the show even though there are problems. I just hope Funimation would release it uncut like Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh, just so I can stop hearing Suzanne Goldfish's voice when I read the manga.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:20 am Reply with quote
Once I saw the initial trailer for One Piece on FoxBox, I solved my problem by just not watching it. Smile Though I was waiting to watch it if some person said it hadn't been screwed up too much...

BTW, did anyone notice that they changed Zoro's name to Zolo in issue 24 of Shonen Jump? All because of the stupid American One Piece. (Before anyone replies by saying "R and L are interchangable in Japanese" or something along those general lines, I took this into account, and when something is translated one way for 23 issues and sounds right, you don't change it.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
My tweenies watched this on the UK FoxKids channel and felt it was "another "Bayblade" rubbish" (that from my 10-year-old daughter). Wink
gtf234

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with many parts of the review, that is the series in a nutshell. But as a die hard Rockman fan, I feel the need to defend it, despite its great suckitude.

At first it starts off slow, sticking to scenarios based on or are similar to the games, mainly to introduce the World Three characters and the other characters. After that the series gets going a little more, don't get me wrong, not to any degree that can redeem the 'monster-of-the-day' set up, but it's still better than the start. Season 2 is better, while the goofy World Three is replaced by Gospel, (World Three being reduced to comedic anti-heroes, not evil but not good guys) Gospel's monster of the day attacks are more interesting, a couple being actually life threatening to characters.

At the very least, at leat Rockman doesn't pull something like DBZ where all other characters are completely worthless this Goku will always be infinitely stronger. Most of the time, Rockman can't win a fight without somebody else bailing him out, be it Roll, Blues, etc- later in the series even his former enemies save him. Some of the best episodes focus heavily on a couple events, specifically character death or the relationships between characters.

I'm not going to deny that the series is made to promote toy sales and such, I would just be lying if I did: EXE Axess is living proof of it. But if you've played the games and have loved Rockman since the 1980s, then you can excuse the weakness of the story and the wierd issues with the adults stepping aside for children. You have to be a fan to like it; seeing minor villains like Hinoken and Count Elec getting more fleshed out personalities (and pretty amusing ones at that) is more appealing to someone who has played the games and know the basics behind the characters, not just villains, support characters too, like Meiru, Dekao, Yaito, etc.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:40 am Reply with quote
gtf234 wrote:
I have to agree with many parts of the review, that is the series in a nutshell. But as a die hard Rockman fan, I feel the need to defend it, despite its great suckitude.

At first it starts off slow, sticking to scenarios based on or are similar to the games, mainly to introduce the World Three characters and the other characters. After that the series gets going a little more, don't get me wrong, not to any degree that can redeem the 'monster-of-the-day' set up, but it's still better than the start. Season 2 is better, while the goofy World Three is replaced by Gospel, (World Three being reduced to comedic anti-heroes, not evil but not good guys) Gospel's monster of the day attacks are more interesting, a couple being actually life threatening to characters.

At the very least, at leat Rockman doesn't pull something like DBZ where all other characters are completely worthless this Goku will always be infinitely stronger. Most of the time, Rockman can't win a fight without somebody else bailing him out, be it Roll, Blues, etc- later in the series even his former enemies save him. Some of the best episodes focus heavily on a couple events, specifically character death or the relationships between characters.

I'm not going to deny that the series is made to promote toy sales and such, I would just be lying if I did: EXE Axess is living proof of it. But if you've played the games and have loved Rockman since the 1980s, then you can excuse the weakness of the story and the wierd issues with the adults stepping aside for children. You have to be a fan to like it; seeing minor villains like Hinoken and Count Elec getting more fleshed out personalities (and pretty amusing ones at that) is more appealing to someone who has played the games and know the basics behind the characters, not just villains, support characters too, like Meiru, Dekao, Yaito, etc.

I agree with you much on this. While the series (or at least the U.S. version) is absolute trash, if you're a Rockman fan, you can't help but be at least slightly amused at the series. I hate to sound like a die-hard sub only fanboy, but the original is indeed insanely better than the U.S. release. Sure. The premise is still as lame to the point of some kid defeating hackers online, but along with the lameness, the flow is much better executed. One complaint though, is the deaths of certain Navi's who were just too cool to have deserved death, such as spoiler[when Shadow Man, the super cool ninja character, has both his arms mercilessly shot off, before getting sniped through the heart.] But I guess with death, you get a moderate dose of realism, even in a unbeliveible world.

Another thing, and I still hate the fact that I'm starting to sound like a whiny fan boy, but the U.S. names are really terrible. Absolutely. I understand the reasoning behind some of the changes, but did they really have to change "Gospel" into "Grave" and "The great virus beast?" They could have taken the route of just calling him "Treble", in respect to Forte becoming Bass. But whatever.

Ok. Misshon compreet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1