• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Spice and Wolf, Yotsuba&!, Crescent Moon Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
FullmetalCJ wrote:
nooneofconsequence wrote:
At the ADV panel at Ohayocon this year, Matt Greenfield indicated that getting manga on the shelves of retailers is getting harder to do because, among other things, of less retail space devoted to manga nowadays. So ADV has pretty much decided put their manga line on indefinite hold.

Not good for us Gunslinger Girl manga fans.

This is a fake excuse often used by ADV. The honest answer is that they owed money to licensors and the printer which prevented them from printing any more books and from admitting their manga dept. was dead for fear that unsold books would get returned.

Well that shouldn't come as a surprise - you expect Matt Greenfield to say anything honest to the fans and/or potential customers? I also feel that he also covered up the main reasons why they're not dubbing Clannad, but that's just my own personal opinion.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
FullmetalCJ wrote:
I wonder where you get your information. 'because Yotsuba&! was very popular (so was Azumanga, which is why they reprinted it with all 4 books in one big collection).
Don't argue with GATSU. He has Joker Immunity to teh rules and a wanton disregard for any proven facts that contradict his opinions. At least he's showing a marked refusal to accept them in this thread.

I just always figured his devotion to ADV is because he or someone he knows works for ADV. GetBakers was on Diamond's top 50 manga for December, but it's still on TP's list of "delayed" titles. TP'd impossible to read right now because they have their head full of something other than manga & have for some time. I still wonder if TP had just kept their focus on manga & ADV had just kept their focus on anime if they'd be where they are right now.

I didn't like Yotsuba, but it is a title one sees talked about a lot, so I assume there's interest.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
CJ:
Quote:

I wonder where you get your information. 'because Yotsuba&! was very popular (so was Azumanga, which is why they reprinted it with all 4 books in one big collection).

I doubt wideban is an indicator of popularity here like it is in Japan, since I have never seen Vagabond or Sgt. Frog on any major sales charts here. I'm guessing most of those books, even the ones for popular series, are generally the publishers' reaction to complaints from bookstores about lack of shelf space and complaints about fewer purchases from fans, due to the economy.

Quote:
This is a fake excuse often used by ADV. The honest answer is that they owed money to licensors and the printer which prevented them from printing any more books

Even if that's the case, that would still prove that Yotsuba wasn't profitable enough for them to justify reprinting more copies, and would thus also validate their comments about the bookstores as well.

Quote:
Titles like Yotsuba and Gunslinger Girl did quite well. Had they solicited new volumes to retail there would be no problem getting orders.

If they did quite well, then they wouldn't be discontinued in the first place.

Tatsu:
Quote:
but then they went on a big crap spree acquiring series like Tokyo Underground, Gravion and other C- or lower series. Usually out weighing any decent series they acquired 4 to 1 at times.

Replace ADV with Geneon, and I'll agree.

Quote:
ADV's fault was more in its approach rather then just blaming the anime economy or economy in general.

Yes, their lack of credit totally has to do with their own mistakes and not bootleggers and an increasing lack of people able to buy their stuff.

bc:
Quote:
Well that shouldn't come as a surprise - you expect Matt Greenfield to say anything honest to the fans and/or potential customers?

You're right. They should release a "re-mastered" show which is really cropped from the top and bottom. Rolling Eyes

CCS: No, I just like ADV, because they've done a better job than most companies for a long time; and the only reason fans are turning on them now is because they lost money. Even Streamline wasn't bad-mouthed as badly as ADV when it went under. As for TP, I imagine flooding the market with everything but the kitchen sink is what did them in.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
Yotsuba&! coming out is the best news I've heard all week.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Now all that needs to happen is for Yotsuba& to be on shelfs within the week and ADV will have to exit the market in complete shame.

Once (Gurren Lagann) was an unfortuante series of events with Sojitz, Twice is just pissing around.
mulrich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:17 am Reply with quote
GATSU = obvious troll is obvious. Please don't feed him. A shotgun slug to the head is much more effective.

It's at times like these I really wish forums had an ignore function, so I'm not exposed to excessive amounts of troll and stupid everytime I go here to read worthwhile forums posts.

Last edited by mulrich on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
Too bad that Yen only got vol. 6 of Yotsuba&!. The rest of the series is completely out of stock where I live, so I was hoping they'd get the complete license.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Conan: Personally, I think the fans turning on ADV should be ashamed. If their economic situation got so bad they couldn't even buy a copy of Yotsuba, they'd be in the same friggin' boat as ADV, wouldn't they? But no, those scumbags are out for some fresh meat, just because they've been denied instant gratification. Whatever happened to company loyalty? I didn't see you wishin' ill will on Geneon for not finishing certain shows! But ADV had it coming, just because they didn't run away with their tail between their legs.

Do I hold it against Gutsoon because they closed down in the U.S.? No. Why? Because they exposed me to manga I generally wouldn't have been able to read otherwise. But instead of thanking ADV for taking a chance on a slice-of-life title in a market which was over-crowded with wish-fulfillment fluff, you have the gall to blame the company for problems outside of its control. And you're actually hoping that the industry comes closer to collapsing on itself, just to spite ADV.

Well, hell, with "friends" like you, maybe ADV should
just pack it up, and let FUNimation and Viz be the last major companies standing. I bet then you'll be glad when we go through another "Anime and Manga Ice Age" when the only stuff released on a regular basis is the equivalent of Geneon's mediocre AIC crap and the equivalent to Viz's Ranma/Pokemon/Eat-man crap.

I usually ignore Zac throwing around the word "spoiled" in relation to fandom, but it suits the haters who were praising ADV up until a few years ago perfectly. And I say screw them, since they're only in it for their stupid collections, and not for the camaraderie.

ANN:
Quote:
Yen's Yotsuba&! license covers volume 6 only.

HAHAHAHA! Yeah, real save there. Rolling Eyes Yen cares so much about the property that they're not willing to pony up for the rest of the series. Big seller my arse.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
ADV are being pathetic and they need to pull their finger out.

Of course, Gatsu, if you want to not ever see Yotsuba& 6 published in english that's your call. Some of us want to read the manga legally at a fairly constant basis and support the idea of stuff getting released here.

Is it "spoilt" to expect companies to do their job, IE: translate and release manga/anime on a frequent basis? Is it "spoilt" to ask that when someone buys volume one of a show they want,say, Higurashi, and not have to be forced to not buy the rest? (I use Higurashi as an example and I'm well aware that's getting released again under Funi, but there's a ton of Geneon's back library that will more than likely never see a release again) because the way your making it sound, being "spoilt" is expecting to be treated in a manor that befits a customer/company relationship.

And, maybe ADV, Geneon and the like should go under and allow companies such as Bandai, Viz and Funi who actually have a god-damn clue what they are doing to release properties at a decent rate.
This, I am lead to understand via common scene (which is hilariously misnamed, don't you think?), is how business works; if you release something and people buy it, you get the profit of the venture and the chance to do it again. If you don't do that, you go under and are scorned at best and ex-communicated from the public mindset at worst.
That, at least from my POV, sounds like business 101 to me.

And for all we know in regards to YP's Yotsuba licence, they could be getting legally challenged in regards to 1-5 because ADV wants to sink the ship so that no one can profit from it.
Course me saying that is heresy according to you.

Also, dood, where do you get off calling companies "Friends"?
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally, I think the fans turning on ADV should be ashamed. If their economic situation got so bad they couldn't even buy a copy of Yotsuba, they'd be in the same friggin' boat as ADV, wouldn't they? But no, those scumbags are out for some fresh meat, just because they've been denied instant gratification. Whatever happened to company loyalty? I didn't see you wishin' ill will on Geneon for not finishing certain shows! But ADV had it coming, just because they didn't run away with their tail between their legs.

Customer loyalty went down the tubes when ADV decided a year or longer between releases was the way to go. Heck, I would've put up with a 6 month delay between releases. But as it stands ADV is going to have to give me reason to be loyal again.

Quote:

Well, hell, with "friends" like you, maybe ADV should
just pack it up, and let FUNimation and Viz be the last major companies standing. I bet then you'll be glad when we go through another "Anime and Manga Ice Age" when the only stuff released on a regular basis is the equivalent of Geneon's mediocre AIC crap and the equivalent to Viz's Ranma/Pokemon/Eat-man crap.

LOL

So you expect Viz and such to regress once ADV folds up? Wishful thinking.

Quote:
I usually ignore Zac throwing around the word "spoiled" in relation to fandom, but it suits the haters who were praising ADV up until a few years ago perfectly. And I say screw them, since they're only in it for their stupid collections, and not for the camaraderie.

ADV is supposed to be running a business, we're paying them money for a product, not camaraderie.

Quote:
HAHAHAHA! Yeah, real save there. Rolling Eyes Yen cares so much about the property that they're not willing to pony up for the rest of the series. Big seller my arse.

Erm ... seems like a good move considering the economy. When it does sell well they'll probably pick up the rest of it.
amazingwind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
Gatsu don't bother with these trolls, some of them are spoiled fansubbers.

Tho I do agree ADV did make many mistakes with their manga properties and that's why there is a lot of consumer anger. but a lot of the people here have an ax to grind like Newtype CJ. He was almost laughed out of AnimeOnDVD forums last summer because no one took it seriously anymore and were sick of him being a debbie downer. notice how he only posts when there's bad news he can talk bad about adv? people on AOD said he has become emo and he lost a lot of his reputation because he doesn't know how to let it go and act professional

a lot of them will be happy when all the companies go down

when a billion dollar company like Bandai is down to a handful of employees and is firing their dvd producers who have been with the company i read for like 10 years that is how hard everyone has it but people in this forum do not read the news or understand it. All the companies are in jeopardy of losing it all.

anime fans are disgusting all they have time for is to be mad and angry
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I bet then you'll be glad when we go through another "Anime and Manga Ice Age" when the only stuff released on a regular basis is ...the equivalent to Viz's Ranma/Pokemon/Eat-man crap.

Well, I really like Ranma and Eat-Man, and Pokemon's good for what it is, so I guess I would be glad for that. (Left out the 'AIC' thing becuase I have no idea what you're referencing there.)

I imagine the reason it's only volume 6 right now is becuase that volume had to be negoitated seperately from the rest, given the liscensing limbo it's been stuck in.

I would have liked to see ADV's manga arm do well, I really would- but over their lifetime they've only grabbed a handful of titles, most of which were delayed indefinitely before completion (Yotsuba in particular was delayed, restarted, moved to a snail's crawl, and delayed again.) It's hard to support a program that's so contradicting to fan's expectations- that's like saying I should be upset that Bandai Visual went under because, even though they charged ridculous amounts for minimal product, it hurt 'market diversity' for them to fail.

As it stands, I don't think dropping the manga division is a bad move for ADV- they have little fan support in that area, they can sell off what liscenses they have to earn a lil' more money to bolster the DVD side of things... becuase it would be a geniune loss for ADV to fall out of that market.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yen Press is pleased to announce the September release of volume 6 of Yotsuba&!, the award-winning manga the previous five volumes of which had been handled by the now-dormant publishing division of ADV. One of the translators who worked on those is being retained by Yen to handle this volume as well, but exactly how the previous five will be released, and when, is yet to be determined.

Sounds like they do plan on releasing the first five volumes, it's just they haven't figured out how yet. I mean they could do it in all singles, but the trend these days is to do re-releases in omnibus editions. The problem here though, is that 5 is an odd number. I've seen omnibus editions with up to four volumes in it, but five would just be way to thick(four is way to thick BTW). Three volumes is the perfect number, but two works as well. But as you can see no matter how you cut it, you can't get two even-looking books. I think that is part of the issue here.

Or perhaps it all depends on how well V.6 sells, and that will determine how this will get released. If that is the case then that also means V.7 and V.8 are determined by those sales. Which means remember everyone, go out and buy Yotsuba&! in September! Though I doubt I need to say that, it will probably be Yen's best selling manga volume ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Im not happy to see any company suffer/go under. How does that help any fans and the hope of newer stuff being distributed here as quick in the future. Last time i looked there are only a handful of companies around providing us our wants. Anime and Manga sales are a hard go even in Japan(except maybe the Pokemon,Gundam, Naruto types), even more so in the last few years.
The way business goes does not always afford the company to be honest publicly to its customers. If ADV states its having money problems, owes money for rights or to publishers its done. Is a Japanese company going to award a new series to a company which cant pay its publishers or will a Publisher do work for them if they just read that they cant pay the Rights holder. The answer is NO(especially now in this economy). I hope ADV can kind of start affresh, you know they are trying.
Im sure every company that has to delay, cancel or sell a series feels like shit as they know it can and will upset some of its customer base, but what has to be done has to be done. Its the same whether you are selling cars, books or wine; you have to do what you have to do to stay alive sometimes even if it breaks your heart.
I am happy to get any new releases of Yotsuba down the road. Im also thankfull for ADV for bringing over Yotsuba and Azumanga Daioh over as i have enjoyed/purchased both of these series:)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Sounds like they do plan on releasing the first five volumes, it's just they haven't figured out how yet. I mean they could do it in all singles, but the trend these days is to do re-releases in omnibus editions. The problem here though, is that 5 is an odd number. I've seen omnibus editions with up to four volumes in it, but five would just be way to thick(four is way to thick BTW). Three volumes is the perfect number, but two works as well. But as you can see no matter how you cut it, you can't get two even-looking books. I think that is part of the issue here.

Or perhaps it all depends on how well V.6 sells, and that will determine how this will get released. If that is the case then that also means V.7 and V.8 are determined by those sales. Which means remember everyone, go out and buy Yotsuba&! in September! Though I doubt I need to say that, it will probably be Yen's best selling manga volume ever.
I think what they might do is release 6, Omnibus 1-3 and 4-6 when they get the rights to those (So in effect, they release 6 to catch up those blue balled by ADV, Release 1-3 to catch new readers and then 4-6 to continue the awesome)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7