• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How many Japanese publishers are saying "no US BluRays"?

Just finished listening to the podcast and this was the most interesting part.

Fans can figure out what other Japanese publishers are saying no to US BDs when Sentai and Funi start announcing what new shows are going to be released on a home media format. That's assuming no news about the situation will come forth any time soon.

Of course the most interesting part of "no US BD rights" is how will that affect Taiwanese BD licenses assuming reverse importation is one of them main reasons? The Taiwanese anime companies are slowly releasing stuff on blu-ray. Sure, it's not going to be as cheap as US boxsets, but they are still tremendously cheaper than the JP counterpart.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But will you buy twice? Will you buy a subbed DVD and then buy a dubbed DVD, or just stick with whatever's available first?

I can think of almost no situations where an anime was released on home video sub-only and then later re-released with a dub.

Anyway, assuming that happens, depends on how much I like the series.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I can think of almost no situations where an anime was released on home video sub-only and then later re-released with a dub.

Clannad would like to have a world with you on that one. It also happened with a couple of other Sentai shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Clannad would like to have a world with you on that one. It also happened with a couple of other Sentai shows.

It happened with Gurren Lagann too, because ADV fell apart, Bandai rushed out a sub-only set to strike while the fervor for the series was still glowing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I know, but it's still rather rare.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I know, but it's still rather rare.

Yeah, it's rare. In Clannad's case, it was probably due to it being one of their first titles licensed after reorganizing under Section 23. They probably didn't want to risk paying what money they had at the time for a dub. Once they saw how well the sub-only dvds were selling, they then decided to go back with a dub release to make more money off of it.

BTW, thanks for mentioning the Kids on the Slope typo. Now every time I see that show mentioned it's going bring up them bonding over that.

Thought it was pretty funny how the girl freaked out about her brother wanting to put that Dirty Pair dvd in her bag. Hearing how many despised copies of Dirty Pair Flash(which I assume it's the ADV release, right?) you gave out makes me wonder why Right Stuf licensed that show.

Did I hear correctly the guy that got the Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker movie say " this is like giving me tuberculosis"? Laughing

Last edited by tangytangerine on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Galap wrote:
In so many words, as far as I know, dub demand is pretty high. Is it not?

I suppose it is, but sub only DVDs also sell. If that type of release was so violently opposed to, sales would have shown the only correct path was to keep dubbing. With streaming of brand new shows growing, how will this all continue to shift and change in the future, with more fans being exposed to Japanese audio tracks first?

Sub only DVDs also sell, but they are probably bought by two main groups of people: people who prefer subs (naturally) or people who don't care or prefer dubs, but are big fans of that particular show, and hey, there's the DVD of it. No dub but oh well.

Maybe it's missing out on some people who greatly prefer dubs. I don't know, I'm one of the middle ground people myself, but Let's say that I do quite enjoy a big share of english dubs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Did I hear correctly the guy that got the Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker movie say " this is like giving me tuberculosis"?

Yeah, he did say that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

It happened with Gurren Lagann too, because ADV fell apart, Bandai rushed out a sub-only set to strike while the fervor for the series was still glowing.

Actually Bandai later stated they were required to have a physical release ready in a short period of time per their contract. They also stated they would never try that again as it negatively impacted their sales, as many fans just waited for the bilingual release and they got hit with big retailer returns.

It's a shame they weren't able to work out a deal with ADV to finish their dub. The first volume's episodes were already to go. They would have likely had enough time to dub the subsequent volumes before their releases. There would have been no need for the sub then dub release.
RogerSterling

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Who is more popular Zak or Jason? - what an Odd question - lol. The obvious answer is Bamboo!

I admit I love Zaks way of discussing Anime in an intelligent way (like a film Buff) but he's not really a snob - he says why he doesn't like A or B and atleast he's topical. He doesn't just talk about the stuff HE likes - he knows about the new harem or slasher anime or what 4chan is upto.

Jason cracks me up because he's so knowledgeable - just not "Now" - like I appreciate his aside comments about some Anime scene from the 2001 about some obscure reference. He paints a history and I find it hysterical that half the stuff I watch he probably hates and that he loves "depressing shit" (which is what I hate) for it's own sake - so it really interesting to hear what sets him off.

Bamboo - reminds me of that cool girl who just says the funniest obnoxious things (that are usually true) about the stuff she loaths in the Biz and it's refreshing. The moment she trashed (not by name - but we all know who!!) Olivia Munn - I was a bamboo fan. Half the crap I love she'd probably hate but I like that she has discerning tastes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

That's not going to stop resellers. I could buy "X" BD anime for far less than MSRP, charge the full MSRP to a potential Japanese buyer, and they'd still be getting such a kickin' discount that's not even conceivable in Japan. Where money can be made, people will go.

One way to curb this would be to limit sales to "x per customer" (i.e., 2-3). Note that I stated, curb, not prevent.

Frankly, once you sell a physical item it is impossible to keep it from being sold to someone else, wherever that person may be in the world.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Galap wrote:
In so many words, as far as I know, dub demand is pretty high. Is it not?

I suppose it is, but sub only DVDs also sell. If that type of release was so violently opposed to, sales would have shown the only correct path was to keep dubbing. With streaming of brand new shows growing, how will this all continue to shift and change in the future, with more fans being exposed to Japanese audio tracks first?

Sub only DVDs also sell, but they are probably bought by two main groups of people: people who prefer subs (naturally) or people who don't care or prefer dubs, but are big fans of that particular show, and hey, there's the DVD of it. No dub but oh well.

Maybe it's missing out on some people who greatly prefer dubs. I don't know, I'm one of the middle ground people myself, but Let's say that I do quite enjoy a big share of english dubs.

It's the casual fans who bought a great deal for the dubs and led to dubs outselling subs even at the same price points. It's the casual fans that the industry will miss as anime videos steadily disappear from foot traffic of brick-and-mortar stores.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's the casual fans who bought a great deal for the dubs and led to dubs outselling subs even at the same price points. It's the casual fans that the industry will miss as anime videos steadily disappear from foot traffic of brick-and-mortar stores.

The only thing I would dispute here is the tense of "the industry will miss" ... its the income from casual fans that the industry is missing as anime videos have been steadily disappearing from foot traffic of brick and mortar stores.

But there's nothing that can be done about that, since that foot traffic today would not buy sufficient DVDs or BDs to return a profit to putting all license-able anime titles out into the brick and mortar channel.

The evolution into a wider variety of income streams, each contributing a smaller share of net revenue, doesn't eliminate the "casual customer" part of the market ~ not if there is a healthy market ecosystem. For example, potential sales of digital downloads from XBox, PSN and iTunes marketplaces are going to benefit substantially from having a dub, if its a series that has the prospect of attracting interest from casual customers.

The business calculus will be the same as it always was: dubs will increase the size of the potential market by different percentages for different types of anime. For some of the anime, the expected unit sales of the sub times the expected percentage sales boost from the dub will cover the cost of the dub or better, and for other anime, it won't.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
SoandSo wrote:

I'll stop pointing out the simple fact that good people are losing their livelihoods when fanboys like you realize that cheering such on for such meaningless horseshit as "the good of anime" makes you look like petty, pathetic clods.

The two are not related at all. Livelyhoods are in the end a business decision made by corporate, and everything before that is merely perceptions. It is not the onus of the fandom to change their opinions to favor an industry just to change theirs.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
SoandSo wrote:

I'll stop pointing out the simple fact that good people are losing their livelihoods when fanboys like you realize that cheering such on for such meaningless horseshit as "the good of anime" makes you look like petty, pathetic clods.

The two are not related at all. Livelyhoods are in the end a business decision made by corporate, and everything before that is merely perceptions. It is not the onus of the fandom to change their opinions to favor an industry just to change theirs.

What does "It is not the onus of the fandom to change their opinions to favor an industry just to change theirs" mean, precisely?

Fandom would support the creators of anime by whatever channels are available to do so, but I don't know that they would bear any "onus" to do so. People are entirely free to decide whether or not they want to be fans of any particular entertainment medium.

However, what makes cheering the demise of 4Kids so particularly pathetic is that its been over five years since 4Kids has made any appreciable difference either way to the broader "good of anime".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8