• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live at Anime Expo 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Zac and Justin's point with what they said, had nothing to do with economics or balance of the market. They're probably aware of all of that anyway, but that's not their freaking point. They cared more about people who they probably knew from at least several years back that are really into what they do not getting work. It's about having sympathy, pure and simple.

Maybe there's a reason no one but 4Kids was hiring those VAs. David Moo isn't exactly Troy Baker.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Zac and Justin's point with what they said, had nothing to do with economics or balance of the market. They're probably aware of all of that anyway, but that's not their freaking point. They cared more about people who they probably knew from at least several years back that are really into what they do not getting work. It's about having sympathy, pure and simple. I don't care how much you love or know people who love the shows you do that have been tampered by 4Kids somehow and are trying to preserve the hardcore fandom like you're somehow making the world a better place. Unless whatever it is you or other fanboys of Pokemon or Yugioh are doing involves ending world hunger, spare us all the debates and bulls***!

All that tells me is they have personal bias about the issue if they know those people personally, and can't look at something objectively and from an economical and logical viewpoint. So all the people who don't know them personally, of course they won't care and all they'll see is a bad/obsolete company going out of business like many before them. And time moves forward

Though I do have to wonder how you feel about telemarketing scammers losing their jobs. Should we not appreciate their demise and instead welcome scammers with open arms for the sake of people having jobs?

SoandSo wrote:
Woe be the fool who dares turn up their nose at the likes of cultural footnotes like Tokyo Mew Mew and Yu-Gi-Oh. Something tells me they could have McGlynn localizing them and they still would turn out less than Shakespeare. They're kids shows and were dubbed as such. Get over it.

As for why fans are hated, I dunno. "Dubs ruin the purity of the Japanese language." "I have every right to consume free entertainment and the onus is on the publisher to provide it to me faster and cheaper." "Western animation is all stupid kid stuff. *goes to watch Pokemon and Naruto and complain about the lack of rigid fidelity in the dub" "Anyone who doesn't enjoy everything from Japan isn't a true fan." The exact sentiment that started this argument. All of which has proven fertile ground for dismissive mockery for years, and rightfully so.

I'll stop pointing out the simple fact that good people are losing their livelihoods when fanboys like you realize that cheering such on for such meaningless horseshit as "the good of anime" makes you look like petty, pathetic clods.

Ignoring all the horrible strawman arguments and projecting going on in this post, I think the funniest thing is you somehow think you're in the majority opinion, rather than a very small minority. Though I think 'good people' is stretching it quite a bit. It's not like Funimation closed down here, it was the most hated company in the anime fandom.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
You're really going out of your way to justify being cold-hearted and petty about something.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
All that tells me is they have personal bias about the issue if they know those people personally, and can't look at something objectively and from an economical and logical viewpoint ...

By which you mean they do not share your own personal biases.

As an economist, looking at the closure of 4Kids from an objective and "economical" (sic) viewpoint, it means hardly anything to the state of the current anime industry.

Given that there is very little significance one way or the other, sympathy for people who have lot work seems a more adult reaction than celebration on the part of people obsessing over old and molding grievances.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You're really going out of your way to justify being cold-hearted and petty about something.

No sir, YOU are the enemy of anime!
In fact, you are probably a communist if you don't leap out of joy for that company's failure like every decent citizen of the world would.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Thank you.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

And on another note about this, let me go out and say that I APPROVE of 4kids and are THANKFUL to them. It's thanks to 4kids that I was able to watch Pokemon back when I was a kid. That show was awesome! It was my favorite thing back then (doesn't really hold up now but that's beside the point). And to be honest, the stuff they changed about it wasn't that big a deal. It's not like Pokemon was an anime that will be remembered through the ages for revealing something intrinsic about the human soul or anything, and even if it was, who CARES that they called rice balls jelly doughnuts? God, guys. Admittedly, the one piece stuff was pretty stupid (guns turned into hammers was it? I don't watch one piece), but seriously, every company makes good and bad decisions, and dubbing anime that I could watch on rabbit ears was a pretty good decision.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
Zac wrote:

In fact, you are probably a communist if you don't leap out of joy for that company's failure like every decent citizen of the world would.
Not sure if you're being serious. Obviously, I didn't like a lot of their decisions, but I'm not going to "leap out of joy" for people losing jobs.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
infiltration.cru wrote:
Zac wrote:

Not sure if you're being serious. Obviously, I didn't like a lot of their decisions, but I'm not going to "leap out of joy" for people losing jobs.

sorry, if it somehow came across as if i wasn't being absolutely sarcastic.
whenever i hear people complaining about 4kids as if they were the anti-christ i want to shoot myself in the face.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Didn't you just get done humiliating some random guy in front of a room full of people (and I guess the internet)? That seems a bit ironic.

agila61 wrote:
By which you mean they do not share your own personal biases.

More like as a consumer who was not being catered to. That's the thing, 4Kids was not an anime company, nor marketed their stuff as such. They were a cartoon company who just happened to have some anime in their pool of materials. Maybe it'd be more accurate to say as long as they don't get involved with anime again, and just stick to cartoons, I don't care what they do or what happens to them. But when it's about series someone likes, then yeah, clearly those people are going to have a problem with it.

infiltration.cru wrote:
whenever i hear people complaining about 4kids as if they were the anti-christ i want to shoot myself in the face.

Not sure when I ever called them the "anti-christ". I just called them a bad company who will not be missed and dug their own grave. If that's 'cold-hearted', so be it I guess.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Zac wrote:

Didn't you just get done humiliating some random guy in front of a room full of people (and I guess the internet)? That seems a bit ironic.

The guy who seemed to be imagining that the whole room would erupt in cheers because the people who respond on internet forums about 4Kids are normally the same minority harboring the same moldy old grievances? Its not like anybody stuck a microphone in front of his face and said, "what's on your mind" ~ he got into line in pursuit of the reaction he imagined his comment would receive.

Anybody who has been paying attention would know that Zac and Justin would have a reaction something along the lines of their reaction, so its not like they ambushed him or anything.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Anybody who has been paying attention would know that Zac and Justin would have a reaction something along the lines of their reaction, so its not like they ambushed him or anything.

That's just the thing. I think people like that guy who spoke up don't pay attention or rather don't bother trying to be aware. They probably care more about what they want to happen than anything else.
partysmores

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
"Why did you give my brother a Dirty Pair?"

"Dirty pair of what?"

That just made my day.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Given that there is very little significance one way or the other, sympathy for people who have lot work seems a more adult reaction than celebration on the part of people obsessing over old and molding grievances.

Happens every year during the annual anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. People could decide to celebrate the end of an empire, albeit a military empire hated by Asians, or mourn that lives were lost in the process. Y'know the debates in Asian countries.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Dirty Pair Flash Master Race here. Razz I'd take it over "Classic" any day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8