• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Hatsune Miku's Mikunopolis Concert

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

A good chunk of their recent shows have been licensed already to other R1 companies, too (of course that doesn't mean they actually held the international licensing rights to all those shows). I still don't know what determines what shows Aniplex USA will license for release. But, I have to say Aniplex JPs strategy isn't bad with the two-pronged approach.

I would assume popularity, Oreimo, Madoka, and Fate Zero are all popular enough to make money off of high prices.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
BRYCE PAPENBROOK!!! Seriously, he's SUCH an awesome voice actor despite his rather bland pedigree in past years (meaning before Durarara). His voice as Kida would be perfect for Rin! Very Happy
I think so, too. he could do a good Rin. and I think, based on some of Johnny Young Bosch's roles (like Kiba in Wolf's Rain) he could do a good job as Yukio.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll get Mikunopolis out of the sheer curiosity and responses of the fans. Looks interesting.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Blue Exorcist is getting a damn English Dub!ha ha yes!I already bought the first box set but hell I'll gladly buy the first set again just for the English dub!Its odd tho that Johnny Yong Bosch isn't playing Rin wouldn't it make more sense for Johnny to play Rin then his brother perhaps they are trying to go against the typical casting types for this English dub also I'm very curious to know who will be playing Satan I hope its Michael McConnohie I can't see anyone else in that role he is perfect for that character!

Yeah I think this reversal could be really interesting. Definitely agree on Michael McConnohie, I think he would be fantastic.

Weazul-chan wrote:
FireChick wrote:
BRYCE PAPENBROOK!!! Seriously, he's SUCH an awesome voice actor despite his rather bland pedigree in past years (meaning before Durarara). His voice as Kida would be perfect for Rin! Very Happy
I think so, too. he could do a good Rin. and I think, based on some of Johnny Young Bosch's roles (like Kiba in Wolf's Rain) he could do a good job as Yukio.

Totally agree, I think this reversal could be pretty awesome.

Hmm, I might do the same for the Miku concert since I've yet to own any of the Miku music stuff.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Blue Exorcist dub? That means there's still hope for Fate/Zero dub!!!
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
superdry wrote:
Who's to say that it'll cost $70 since the article neither mentioned license or direct import.

I think you completely missed the joke. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

So you're saying that Aniplex USA's premium releases are expensive. Okay. So I can't really find the joke.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
superdry wrote:
Who's to say that it'll cost $70 since the article neither mentioned license or direct import.

I think you completely missed the joke. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

So you're saying that Aniplex USA's premium releases are expensive. Okay. So I can't really find the joke.

Wow, somebody needs to get something called a sense of humor.

Charred Knight made a crack on how much Mikunopolis will cost and I countered that I'd rather spend all the money on things I actually like. So in other words, the joke was what the price tag could be. And yes, Aniplex USA is quite expensive compared to the other companies.

Yeesh....people can be so uptight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Rukiia wrote:
Aniplex USA....I am disappointed. Was hoping for more then this.

You don't want Mikunopolis on Blu ray for 70 dollars?
And the rest, with no subs as well. Bargain!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

That's basically it, Aniplex is nowhere as stupid as Bandai Visual was when it just brought over a bunch of stuff no one wanted and charged 50 bucks for 3 episodes (Though I was a huge fan of SRW: OG: DW).

Bandai Visual USA licensed stuff no one wanted? Over half of their entire catalog completely sold out. They printed small quantities of their titles for the ones that were willing to put forth the money. If you go about trying to collect a set of Super Robot War discs right this minute, it would cost you double what they were asking.

They weren't aiming at pleasing everyone, only the ones that desired the premium items they provided. Aniplex is doing much of the same but also trying to reach across to the more casual consumers at the same time.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

That's basically it, Aniplex is nowhere as stupid as Bandai Visual was when it just brought over a bunch of stuff no one wanted and charged 50 bucks for 3 episodes (Though I was a huge fan of SRW: OG: DW).

Bandai Visual USA licensed stuff no one wanted? Over half of their entire catalog completely sold out. They printed small quantities of their titles for the ones that were willing to put forth the money. If you go about trying to collect a set of Super Robot War discs right this minute, it would cost you double what they were asking.

They weren't aiming at pleasing everyone, only the ones that desired the premium items they provided. Aniplex is doing much of the same but also trying to reach across to the more casual consumers at the same time.

They lost over 500 thousand dollars in that time period. Sure SRW is hard to find but that took years to get to that point, when you make anime you cant wait years for it to make money you need it now. Also I suspect that SRW had a limited print run because I don't think that the couple thousand people who bought OG 1 and OG 2 would spend hundreds of dollars to get the complete SRW series.

As for Galaxy Angel Rune? Here's volume 3 still for sale for a fraction of the cost BV USA was asking for

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Angel-Rune-Vol-3/dp/B000S3IFT2

Galaxy Angel really didn't sell that well and BVUSA was asking for a massive amount of money for the sequel no one cared about.
warden13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll double dip on the Mikunoplis Concert BD's if they're adding subtitles for the songs. For Blue Exorcist I'll need to wait and see how the new release is before I decide whether or not it's worth double dipping on.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Nope, no subs. Allegedly the commitee didn't think it was worth it. Just shows what commitees know. Rolling Eyes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for Galaxy Angel Rune? Here's volume 3 still for sale for a fraction of the cost BV USA was asking for

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Angel-Rune-Vol-3/dp/B000S3IFT2

Galaxy Angel really didn't sell that well and BVUSA was asking for a massive amount of money for the sequel no one cared about.

Rune is my least favorite title from them but it was still rather amusing. I'm thinking it might be time to revisit my DVDs.

Buyer beware though...I've heard that the fourth volume of Rune is a very hard find.

EDIT: Here's a list of the titles that were essentially "sold out" on Bandai's store end. Both HD-DVD sets of FREEDOM and Wings of Honneamise, MS IGLOO, Super Robot Wars, both DVD and BD sets for the Gunbuster movie boxes, Jin-Roh, Tokyo Metro Explorers, Haruka, and Yukikaze. Just over half of their catalog. It's a safe bet to say that most of their titles found a happy home.

Last edited by luffypirate on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

Buyer beware though...I've heard that the fourth volume of Rune is a very hard find.

Tell me about it, it's like everyone who has a copy is not willing to part with it. I gave up and sold vol 1 -3 and just bought the cheap JP boxset that was released in March so I can have all of GA on my shelf.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Tell me about it, it's like everyone who has a copy is not willing to part with it. I gave up and sold vol 1 -3 and just bought the cheap JP boxset that was released in March so I can have all of GA on my shelf.

I'm about give up on IGLOO. It's the only series I'm missing from their entire catalog. Galaxy Angel and Gundam fans seem set on taking those ones to the grave with them haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3