• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Version 2.0!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:07 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
Eek thinks everything sucks

And that is why I love the ANN reviewers: They show absolute respect for anime.

However, Eek and I do have one thing in common: we both look for character connections when we watch anime. Whereas I have a more open connection to various anime characters, Eek is obviously more strict.
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Ikki Tousen is kind of a guilty, guilty, guilty pleasure for me (even more so than Onegai Twins.). I groan whenever I watch it, and I keep telling myself how utterly awful it is, but I keep wanting to watch more, just so I can say to myself, "Omigod, I can't believe he just did that to her!!!" and "I wonder what kind of blatantly sexual things they're going to do this time? Ugh."

Acctually, this is exactly true for me as well. It's craptacular, but you can't help but wonder how the hell it could get any more absurd. I'm teetering on the edge, wondering if I should pull my self back up and retain my sanity, or fall off and pleasure my self in disbelief.

Another thing is that I probably couldn't keep the DVD unnoticed for long on my shelf. =/

Anyway, I like the new system, even though the antonyms seem sometimes... out of place. But I can see the potential.

Nice job this time! Even though with the lack of anything "shelf worthy" =P.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
No comments on the reviews, but I really like the new additions of dictionary entry, and synonyms. That's a great idea! I really like how you gave a rundown, and then compared it to other similar series. The opposites could use a little work, though. They don't really seem to fit, or add anything. Awesome reviews, though, as allways - Keep up the good work!
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cybuster (sī’-bŭs-tər) n - A robot that busts up sighs of boredom by occasionally sprouting wings to transform into Endless Waltz Escaflowne Mode.

Why does every new robot show have to include some sort of wings on their robot of mass destruction? Can't they just put a good-old-fashioned rocket pack on their back (or on their feet as well)? You know, since a rocket pack is practical, as opposed to flapping giant wings that get in the way of everything and cause more destruction to the environment? (But somehow, the environment will still barely be touched, as is the nature of pretty much every mech show except for Big O, which showed Big O and the other robots actually destroying large amounts of town and people actually getting upset...) When will these mecha designers realize that giant wings are not efficient?
Seanb
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm going to resist being pelted with fruit to announce that I rather like Milk-Chan...it's just that the episodes are a bit too long. Adult Swim knows what it's doing when it makes its comedy shows only eleven minutes long-that leads to manic pacing and forces the writers to compress their (completly insane) stories. It's a shame the producers of Milk-Chan couldn't have made it one of those half-length shows that keep popping up everywhere-the show is funny, just draaaaaaaaaaaaawn out with way too much time between jokes. It could have really used a shorter runtime, plus it would have ended up fitting in with the other AS comedy shows better.

There are some shorter episodes of Milk-chan out there. There's 12 or so 5-minute episodes. Those episodes basically open and resolve themselves very quickly, and are a bit more entertaining.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Anyway, I like the new system, even though the antonyms seem sometimes... out of place. But I can see the potential.

Bruce Lee wrote:

The opposites could use a little work, though. They don't really seem to fit, or add anything.

Yeah... they didn't quite work out like I planned. My original intention was to present some shows that were nothing like the one being reviewed, but I think I'd run into problems because I could just say, "Anything *not* this genre."

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of maybe having the antonyms instead be shows that are in the same genre, but if the show being reviewed is bad, then I'll give an example of a show that did it right, and vice versa.

So like maybe have the syns be shows that are very similar to the DVD... and then the antonyms be shows that are similar, but opposite in quality...? Maybe?

Thanks for the feedback y'all! I really appreciate it. Anime smile
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
Poor, poor Cybuster. Why did such a cool robot from the Super Robot Wars games have to be cursed with such a terrible show. Frankly, I can't see how it made it to the Rental Shelf catagory. I only rented the entire series (when I was in Japan) because I love Cybuster from the afore mentioned video games. While I don't speak japanese, it was pretty obvious that the plot doesn't get any better, though it was great fun to see how they butchered all my favorite Masoukishins.

Necros Antiquor wrote:
Why does every new robot show have to include some sort of wings on their robot of mass destruction? Can't they just put a good-old-fashioned rocket pack on their back (or on their feet as well)? You know, since a rocket pack is practical, as opposed to flapping giant wings that get in the way of everything and cause more destruction to the environment? (But somehow, the environment will still barely be touched, as is the nature of pretty much every mech show except for Big O, which showed Big O and the other robots actually destroying large amounts of town and people actually getting upset...) When will these mecha designers realize that giant wings are not efficient?

and considering Cybuster (the mecha, not the anime) has been around since the days of the NES, it can't really be accused of following some mecha fad. Anyway, as best I could figure from the games, Cybuster was a (the?) Masou Kishin of Air, hence the wings.

Ah well, at least this reveiw has reminded me of how awesome those games were, I think I'll go play them.
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:40 am Reply with quote
After reading the review of Ikki Tousen it reminded me of an anime that came out on advfilms last year under the title Variable Geo. Women competing in a tournament and at the end the loser is exposed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Tamakun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 am Reply with quote
OrsonHyuri wrote:
After reading the review of Ikki Tousen it reminded me of an anime that came out on advfilms last year under the title Variable Geo. Women competing in a tournament and at the end the loser is exposed.

Ahh, Variable Geo. It was the Anna Miller's outfits that caught everyone's attention. Twisted Evil

Love the Synonyms/Antonyms. Smile
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
OrsonHyuri wrote:

Anime cry I almost forgot that Variable Geo existed. Oh, the floodgates of memory have been opened...
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
OrsonHyuri wrote:

Anime cry I almost forgot that Variable Geo existed. Oh, the floodgates of memory have been opened...

I watched it, didn't really get all that impressed by it, I have no intention of buying it though because it wasn't that good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I might get Ikki Tousen anyway just for the guilty plesure.Twisted Evil

I no fan service fanatic, very few of my Collection has anime that is so heavily focused on it.....but every now and then......... Very Happy

Last edited by Rion on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
biliano*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
I might get Ikki Tousen anyway just for the guilty plesure.Twisted Evil

Same here. I could use another fan-service anime in my collection.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:51 am Reply with quote
For the longest time, no one knew how to romanize Cybuster. "Psybuster"? "Psibuster"? "Cy-baster?"

I figured that the real romanization is in fact "Mediocre".
Glad to know I was right.

Anime smile

I gave up on Ikki Tousen a long time ago, mostly because I prefer to not destroy my happy San Guo Zhi memories, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2