• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problem with ANN.com.au

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
So the ANN.com.au site is down, which is annoying enough. It happens, I get that. But the moronic system won't let me log into the USA account from New Zealand.

I'll type "animenewsnetwork.com" into the URL bar and it will send me to "animenewsnetwork.com.au", which is of course currently down so doesn't work. Trying to access the UK site also gets me redirected to Australia. It really pisses me off that some automated system thinks it knows where I want to go better than I do.

You might be wondering how I am posting this then. Simple; I used a proxy. I hate using them but I can't let anyone know there is a problem if I don't access the website. A proxy is the only way that I know of to break the Catch-22 cycle. And even now, I cannot access the Talkback sub-Forum for the main site.

This redirection nonsense has been around for a while now but I've tolerated it because I can still access the main American site even on the .com.au site. But it is only now that I cannot even access the .com.au site that it has become an actual problem rather than just an annoyance.

So, what I want is for the .com site to stop redirecting me to the .com.au site. I never use the .com.au site anyway, it hardly ever has anything worth reading, and most importantly, I shouldn't be forced to use it if I don't want to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Not to mention that it's gotta be a bit humiliating for a Kiwi to use the Oz site, amirite?
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not to mention that it's gotta be a bit humiliating for a Kiwi to use the Oz site, amirite?

Why would it? The Wizard of Oz was a great classic.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Try www-d.animenewsnetwork.com or http://4nn.cx/us
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Whoops, forgot about this thread. Dearie me I'm getting forgetful in my old age . . .

Thanks Shiroi Hane for the links. I'll copy-paste them to a word document or something so that the next time the Australian site goes down I don't have to use dodgy proxy sites.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
An alternative if you can't remember the links, is to open the site through Google's cache and click one of the geo links at the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1