• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Film's Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Dang. It's a camrip of the trailer being projected on a building?!

Huh. Most of that trailer was clips of the prior two movies.

oh dear..

Evangelion 3.0 is going to be mostly a clip show.

Gainax confirmed for god tier trolls.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time they announced the official release date.
Also, pirate Asuka for the win.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
I am Japanese and yet I am confused when Westerners fight over dubbing. I watched Evangelion movie English dubs and they were quite excellent.

Either way, hopefully it won't be years of wait otherwise. My issue is the extreme price of Japanese Bluray.

Waiting nearly 10 years for Bluray series of the movies to finish is obscene.

As a Japanese, do you think that Japanese companies overprice their disc sets? The reason I'm asking is that there's quite a bit of discussion about reverse importation on this forum, and many people are saying that overseas distributors don't have licenses to certain things because Japanese companies are afraid of reverse importation.

The truth of the matter is that yes, Japanese fans have always struggled with the pricing. My buying habits for one, consisted of maybe 2 or 3 anime series total per year. Most fans treat purchase as an investment than a casual hobby. The price forces every fan to be a hardcore fan. Copying recorded shows on disc or by internet has been an option, but companies and government wants fans to stop that activity.
I now have certain options to buy Western versions now and honestly it feels liberating to buy entire 11-12 episode shows for $50. It is insane when I realize I used to buy 2 episodes of anime for about $50 each.

Back to Evangelion however, those Funimation releases are very good. They almost always have pretty good English dubbing and a few extras. The only thing the Japanese discs have that is unique usually is the commentary tracks. But usually, they are not worth paying so much for. And yes, if there is no specific way to get Western copies of anime, they would be blocked across borders. The online stores has really clamped down on it the past few years.

As for the few people who think the third Eva movie is a clip show, I to not think that will be the case. People said the same thing about the two earlier films and Gainax decided to retell the story with all new visuals. Besides, the stories already changed a decent amount in the second movie.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Dang. It's a camrip of the trailer being projected on a building?!

Huh. Most of that trailer was clips of the prior two movies.

oh dear..

Evangelion 3.0 is going to be mostly a clip show.

Gainax confirmed for god tier trolls.

The clips of the first two movies was just a little recap before they showed clips of the new movie.  
Before the clips from the first movies, it said "Playback". After the clips for the first movie and second movie it said "The time before last: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo" and "Last time: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha", respectively.
Before the footage from Q started playing, it clearly says "Preview", and afterwards "Next time: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q".
Pretty sure it's not going to be a clip show.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ha, even a thread about the release date for the next Eva movie turns into a sub vs dub debate. You people need to get out more.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
inuhime wrote:
I LOVED Vic Mignogna's version of Ed Elric. He brought more pain to Ed in his voice over than Romi Park

Uh, no he didn't. Romi Paku brought way more geniune emotion than Vic Mignogna ever did. He was dry and forced most of the time.

I'm a pretty huge dubbie and even I'm going to have to agree with this. At least for Brotherhood, it was really hard going to the dub after watching the sub, Vic just doesn't do it for me.

Also, I really liked the Rebuild dubs despite the original series having a pretty mediocre dub, so I can't wait for this one.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Ha, even a thread about the release date for the next Eva movie turns into a sub vs dub debate. You people need to get out more.
Dub vs Sub for me a dead and tired issue. For the record, there are bad Japanese versions out there. From what I understand, the original Dirty Pair TV series sucks in Japanese. But that is neither here nor there.

I'll be excited for the 3rd Eva Movie when I can buy it....in 2015.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Argh! If only it were easier to see!
Loved the audiences' reactions, though.

Agreed, made me want to be there. Odd way to premier a trailer, but I guess it gets people out of the house and talking about it. Not a big fan of the eye-patch, but I'm looking forward to seeing how this film is going to continue to diverge from the original series.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
It's great to see yet another thread's topic on ANN become totally derailed by a pointless argument involving people who think their opinions are the gospel.

Oh wait...I mean it's great to finally see a release date for this film. Yeah, that's what I meant.

I'll be watching it when Funimation releases it, though I do expect some sort of significant delay. For a big title like Evangelion, I'd imagine it must take a fairly long time to work out the licensing agreement. So yeah, it's great to have a date for the Japanese theatrical release, but I think it's a little too early for me to get all excited about this, not until it actually gets licensed anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
J-Head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 am Reply with quote
Arekusei, I'm going to guess that you are a young teenager. Your grammar is bad, your arguments are bad, and your posts are all-around bad.

But it's ok. Many of us were like you when we were young. One day, you will enjoy anime, not care so much about subs or dubs (because the issue isn't important), and will look back on posts like these and cringe. "Ugh, why did I say crap like this?" However, it won't matter, because it was a dumb argument about a purely subjective and personal opinion on ways to watch anime. There is no right or wrong.

Even though you will grow up, you should make an effort to recognize the difference between opinion and fact as soon as you are able too. It makes conversation easier and your mind more open, in addition to making people hate you less.

EDIT: Also, the "blocked nose voice" you are talking about? That is simply that particular VA's natural voice. And yes, he is terrible.
Arekusei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
J-Head wrote:
Arekusei, I'm going to guess that you are a young teenager. Your grammar is bad, your arguments are bad, and your posts are all-around bad.

But it's ok. Many of us were like you when we were young. One day, you will enjoy anime, not care so much about subs or dubs (because the issue isn't important), and will look back on posts like these and cringe. "Ugh, why did I say crap like this?" However, it won't matter, because it was a dumb argument about a purely subjective and personal opinion on ways to watch anime. There is no right or wrong.

Even though you will grow up, you should make an effort to recognize the difference between opinion and fact as soon as you are able too. It makes conversation easier and your mind more open, in addition to making people hate you less.

EDIT: Also, the "blocked nose voice" you are talking about? That is simply that particular VA's natural voice. And yes, he is terrible.

Not a teenager, no, just not from English speaking country. And opinion on sub vs dub is important, as dub delays legal releases, in smaller countries even sometimes by years(because of cost and small number of dubbing studios). And change of characters because of voice is not subjective thing, it is very objective if the changes are drastic compared to original.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
The longer you people instigate the guy, the more he's gonna post Wink

This needs to be released in Japan with subtitles on the disc for the ones that really want it. I'm tired of waiting year(s) to purchase these movies. My Japanese isn't at a high enough level to be able to watch them without subs.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
I don't mind waiting a year until the release. That way Funimation can release the inevitable 3.33 blu-ray with all the bells and whistles like new scenes, animation improvements, sound improvements, visual improvements etc.

Why get the 'incomplete' 3.0 when you can have 3.33?

Frankly Funi ought to have a simultaneous release in theaters here at the same time it comes out in Japan. I know they've had a few small screenings here and there. But they're limited to a day and not a lot of people show up... I know because I attended.

Funimation should try and get a subtitled version out in small screenings in North America around the same time it releases in Japan.

Otherwise I usually just watch a DVDrip when it eventually hits online, and then buy the blu-ray later. But if it's out in a theater sooner I'll pay to see it.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
The longer you people instigate the guy, the more he's gonna post Wink

This needs to be released in Japan with subtitles on the disc for the ones that really want it. I'm tired of waiting year(s) to purchase these movies. My Japanese isn't at a high enough level to be able to watch them without subs.

When 2.0 came out, there was an official Hong Kong DVD and Blu-ray release that had English subtitles. It was a legit release too, and actually came with some extra swag. It came out maybe 1-2 months after the Japanese release too, so if 3.0 is getting the same treatment, this might be your best bet.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
In typical Eva fashion, they keep the previews as ambiguous as possible. And I prefer a nickname along the lines of Big Boss Asuka, Boss Asuka maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7