• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Don't forget, Zac is also at a con right now and has other things on his plate.

^- This. Bamboo and Carlo are also there. They'll be on it as soon as they can drum back up some sanity (tomorrow evening-ish, I believe). In the meantime you're stuck with Carl, Theron, and I. Believe me, I want to read Zac's review of Famiglia as much as you guys do. Wink

he's reviewing famiglia? Oh dear lord.... Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the first episode of Tari Tari so far... better first episode than Hanasaku Iroha had. More likeable main character as well. I had a lot of expectations for this one, since its PA Works and their moe shows are always top of the line, and its living up to them so far.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
giapet wrote:
Believe me, I want to read Zac's review of Famiglia as much as you guys do. Wink

he's reviewing famiglia? Oh dear lord.... Laughing

I'd be very surprised if he does. Typically Zac only reviews things that either the rest of us haven't gotten to yet or that really catch his attention. And Famiglia will be more than 24 hours old by the time he's back in the swing of things. Besides, it's not like Famiglia's a so-bad-you-can-make-fun-of-it show. It's just not that good; in retrospect, I probably rated it a half-point too high, especially compared to the series that have followed it.

RyanSaotome wrote:
I really liked the first episode of Tari Tari so far... better first episode than Hanasaku Iroha had. More likeable main character as well. I had a lot of expectations for this one, since its PA Works and their moe shows are always top of the line, and its living up to them so far.

Although I did like TT's first episode and think it shows a lot of promise, none of the characters shown so far are as compelling as Ohana and the situation isn't as involving (yet), so this one's the inferior of the two in my book. Still, it's an impressive first episode for a director helming his first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Tari Tari looks promising. It's nice to have some males in the core cast of a show like this for a change.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Tari Tari looks promising. It's nice to have some males in the core cast of a show like this for a change.

Here is to hopes of some teen/drama/romance for this seaosn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

If Tari Tari doesn't deliver, I'm sure Kokoro Connect will.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

If Tari Tari doesn't deliver, I'm sure Kokoro Connect will.

I saw the pre air of the first half of episode 1. it was really bad. I was expecting it to be good... I didn't know it was ecchi k-on though. it has some promise but I am not holding out hope for it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I saw the pre air of the first half of episode 1. it was really bad. I was expecting it to be good... I didn't know it was ecchi k-on though. it has some promise but I am not holding out hope for it.

Other than character designs the show has nothing at all to do with K-On. Its not even in the same genre.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I thought it had promise. Been awhile since there's been some good old body swapping shenanigans.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
giapet wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Don't forget, Zac is also at a con right now and has other things on his plate.

^- This. Bamboo and Carlo are also there. They'll be on it as soon as they can drum back up some sanity (tomorrow evening-ish, I believe). In the meantime you're stuck with Carl, Theron, and I. Believe me, I want to read Zac's review of Famiglia as much as you guys do. Wink

I know it's unlikely he'll review it, but that would make tomorrow a very beautiful day for me. Laughing

I haven't watched either show yet (I don't have a CR subscription), but I'm glad it sounds like Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita didn't disappoint. I'm really looking forward to watching the first episode next week. Arcana Famiglia should be fun too. I like the character designs, and the premise is a bit more interesting than most shows of its type. I find that reverse harem shows are best when they either don't acknowledge the genre's tropes at all, like Fruits Basket, or go completely all-out, over-the-top ridiculous with it, like Ouran. This show seems to be leaning towards the latter (what with the boys literally fighting each other, tournament-style, for our leading lady's hand), or at least that's what I'm hoping. Very Happy

Edit: I wasn't planning on watching Tari Tari but the reviews make it sound interesting, so I think I'll give the first episode a try^^
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

number 6 did have a bad ending, and ungo was fairly rushed near the end. both suffered from the noitamina problem. unlike shows like eden of the east or jellyfish princess.

Princess Jellyfish DID have a bad ending though. Or rather, no ending at all. I love the series but I still want to throw it against a wall for that.

Anyway the show about the fairies looks really good :O I hadn't heard anything about it, need to check it out now. That's why I love the preview guides!!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I almost wanted to give up on the first episode of Jinrui by the time they got to the little fairies out of boredom. Like everyone else I got won over by that snarky 2nd half. If this is what the rest of the series is going to be like then I'll be on board. Getting Seiji Kishi for this was the right choice.

Not putting much faith in Familgia getting any better. It would work if Flecitia were a more dynamic character, but this is an otome game so good luck with that. Same with getting good action sequences from the weak as ever JC Staff. Dropped.

As for Tari Tari, it's setting up alright. There's a nice mellow feeling with how the episode unfolded, I can't say any of the characters -- Sakai excluded -- really leapt out and grabbed me they way Ohana or Minko did in last years HanaIro. The show has it's heart in the right place, so I'll stick around and see what it becomes. Atleast without Okada on staff the script won't get insipid and dumb in places.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

number 6 did have a bad ending, and ungo was fairly rushed near the end. both suffered from the noitamina problem. unlike shows like eden of the east or jellyfish princess.

Princess Jellyfish DID have a bad ending though. Or rather, no ending at all. I love the series but I still want to throw it against a wall for that.

Anyway the show about the fairies looks really good :O I hadn't heard anything about it, need to check it out now. That's why I love the preview guides!!

The point of the anime was her coming out of her shell which she finally ended up doing. yes their lives go on, but that is how life works. I would love to see a second season of it tough. P.S. baccano and durarara had the same type of ending and it worked a little better there, but it was still great way to end the series.

Also yes Koroko Connect is ecchi K-on (with males) because it is a bunch of teens being forced into the same club, and the misadventures (and body swapping) that they go through. that is the definition of K-ON. and at that point K-ON had more plot and better characters.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
While the first episode of Total Eclipse was okay, I still wish they'd animate the original Muv Luv saga. Get Extra and Unlimited in one 2 cour series, then have two 2-cour series for Alternative. Problem is though that might be a bit too much budget to use for something that may or may not sell... and the mecha fans may be turned off by the harem antics of Extra. But seeing the real Alternative animated would be a dream come true...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
I thought MuvLuv would have been more than popular enough to do that? Doesn't it rank well up there in top visual novels?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 62