• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Joins Shonen Jump Alpha Every Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
Are you sure about that? I read the first couple of chapters and it was exactly the same as the anime except abridged.

Zexal is generally considered the 3rd best, and looks to be closely approaching and beating out GX in terms of most liked spin-off, but we'll have to wait and see.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
Are you sure about that? I read the first couple of chapters and it was exactly the same as the anime except abridged.

Zexal is generally considered the 3rd best, and looks to be closely approaching and beating out GX in terms of most liked spin-off, but we'll have to wait and see.

Referring only to the manga anyway. Best Yu-Gi-Oh! manga since the original. Gx had a terribly developed storyline, 5D's was just as good (the majority will agree this isn't saying much) if not worse than the anime, and R was duel after duel, no side stories to keep the reader entertained. Furthermore, it's not entirely feasible for the Tenma brothers to be adopted children of Pegasus, being that he was only twenty-four (or younger, most likely) at the time of adoption.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I felt R continued off of the themes of the original manga pretty well. The stuff with not being able to let go of death. None of the other spin-offs really do that. The GX manga was WAY better than the anime, but I haven't finished it so I might not be as in the know here. I've only read the first two volumes of 5D's and while I find it to be terrible (With the anime being surprisingly really good for the first 64 episodes before becoming total garbage and dropping the themes of the series) it's nowhere near as bad as Zexal. Then again, I still don't know if the Zexal manga diverges from the anime or not. I've only read 3 chapters of the manga, seen 15 episodes of the anime in Japanese, and 24 episodes of the anime dubbed.

I can't stand any of the characters and the plot is even more basic than all the tournament arcs. None of the monsters have gripping designs barring Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, but that one's mostly because of how derivative it is to previous designs. The series as a whole reeks more of Bakugan and the like than it does the more traditional Shonen Yu-Gi-Oh!.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2