• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Detail Monster Anime, L: Change the World's Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! THANK YOU!
Finally! We get Monster. Thank you VIZ. Took you a freakin long time too. XP
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
I've never bought any anime by Viz though, so I don't really know anything about their release methods.

It's hard to say. In terms of recent anime, they've mainly been limited to Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Death Note, Blue Dragon, and Hunter x Hunter. Now the first 5 were released in singles (and the first 4 soon followed with boxsets), however also worth noting is that all 5 aired on TV, thus sales were probably higher. Hunter x Hunter did not air on TV, and went straight to 15-episode boxsets.

So it's up in the air how Monster will be released. However, I think Viz will take a hint from Funi's recent moves, and stick with boxsets, especially since they said they intend to release NANA and Honey & Clover straight to boxset. We'll just have to wait and see.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank freaking god x 10^6. About god damn f***** time they licensed the monster series and finally plans on releasing it. And for heavens sake please release it in Season box sets 3 box sets at the most with each being 26 episodes.
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll believe it when I see it. Viz is starting to develop this annoying habit of licensing shows I want to see and then NEVER releasing them (NANA and Honey and Clover.)
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The past few years have been very good for Urasawa fans - especially with a series like Yawara getting a surprising release from AnimEigo and now finally Viz may do something with Monster! Smile
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Yes! Certainly took Viz long enough to bring us Monster.

I for one have been waiting FARRRRRRRR to long for this show to finally come out, I am so freaking excited I can hardly wait. Hopefully Viz will be releasing Another Monster also now that the Manga has finally been released and 20th Century Boy and Pluto are coming.

Shepperoni wrote:
If the Monster anime's anywhere near as good as the manga this will be a definite buy for me. Very Happy

Monster is one of the (if not the most) most faithful translations ever. Madhouse did a great job of literally making the anime just as the manga was suspenseful and always had you waiting for that next episode or volume. I think that Anime is actually better in part due to the music which I find complements the scenes in which they are used and the voice acting is superb.

SO EXCITED!!!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Thank freaking god x 10^6. About god damn f***** time they licensed the monster series and finally plans on releasing it. And for heavens sake please release it in Season box sets 3 box sets at the most with each being 26 episodes.

No way is that happening, it would be a profit murderer. Nobody could bring out first releases in 26 episodes each with a dub (since Monster is reportedly being dubbed). 13-16 episode boxsets are far more realistic and potentially profitable. I mean, seriously, name instances where anime companies released 26 episodes in one set on its first release? It's just not possible with anime fandom still being relatively small compared to other fandom.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
About damn time we got some news from Monster. It's just a shame Viz has it. With the way they treat DVDs we'll get a crap dub and no boxsets. Have fun buying some 15-20 DVDs at full price, fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
While I've heard negative things said about the video quality on Viz DVD releases...

They're certainly not that bad. At least not the recent ones. The biggest complaint about them that I've heard is the green tint on the Death Note DVDs, which I don't even notice and which there's plenty of in the original JP version.

As for the news concerning Monster, I'll believe it when the DVDs are in my hands. Maybe not even then.

Though, I'm happy that Viz said that they're looking for ways to release some of their unreleased series. But I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Seriously after waiting 2 years for three series that I am interested in, lets just say that I won't be deleting the fansubs till I have a complete series in my hands.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Not to be redundant, but this is really great news! I'd pretty much given up on monster. I can't wait to see it! Do us proud, Viz.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. Viz is starting to develop this annoying habit of licensing shows I want to see and then NEVER releasing them (NANA and Honey and Clover.)

While news of Monster being licensed finally is great, I have to agree with you on this end. I got giddy upon hearing news of NANA being licensed over a year ago. But, I have yet to hear release plans for the series. It's an issue I have with Viz right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll be in on Monster once they release it in 3 sets. Let's hope the release is prompt and not in singles :/
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Iniksbane wrote:

While news of Monster being licensed finally is great, I have to agree with you on this end. I got giddy upon hearing news of NANA being licensed over a year ago. But, I have yet to hear release plans for the series. It's an issue I have with Viz right now.

At the panel they mentioned "sometime this year" for the release of Nana and Honey and Clover in box sets.
nx6

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Dear Viz,

Please to not edit this anime or "westernize" it in any way. Monster is an adult anime, not in the Hentai sense, but in the "targeted for someone other than kids" sense. Those of us who are fans of this show would like the dub script to be the same as the Japanese script, ten dollars vocabulary and all.

Thank you.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
Dear Viz,

Please to not edit this anime or "westernize" it in any way. Monster is an adult anime, not in the Hentai sense, but in the "targeted for someone other than kids" sense. Those of us who are fans of this show would like the dub script to be the same as the Japanese script, ten dollars vocabulary and all.

Thank you.

why would they edit it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4