• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, romance, science fiction, thriller
Themes: alien, Alternate history, fanservice, gore, mecha, war

Plot Summary: Since 1973, an invasion of aliens known as BETA upon Earth is driving human civilization into nearly collapse. Facing an enormous mass of enemy force, mankind has developed large humanoid arms called as Tactical Surface Fighters and deployed them to its defense lines through out the world. However, all those efforts could slow down defeats but could not stop BETA, and mankind is forced to abandon major area of the Eurasian Continent. For 30 years, mankind is bogged down in an endless war against BETA without any hopes of victory.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Not bad but also not a smash hit for a beginning episode. The series seems to combine the elements of mecha, action, some school life elements, and sci-fi themes into one little package.

Of course, it also did have some fan-service involving those suits Laughing to go along with it. The music of the series is somewhat catchy and loving the animation so far. It doesn't seem like this episode was too impressive though in terms of action or story wise but hopefully will change soon. Hopefully.

Well, I'm just going to say that the series has potential this season.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems like the ML universe. Not too impressed, but we'll see where it's going. For those of you who are wondering, the reason all of the recruits are women is because most of the men on Earth where already sent to the frontlines (conscripted) and a) in active duty or b) dead or incapacitated for combat. Humanity has been at war for about 30 years now and they're losing.

I guess it also serves as a good excuse to have a show about women mecha pilots if it's targeted at a male audience.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Not a good episode, though it was "not good" in a way that doesn't discourage me from trying the next one. It felt like it was essentially in fast-forward, as if the show wanted to skip the training stuff, and get to the meat. Which makes sense, except that they should have just done so, and skipped the training stuff entirely, rather than spend an episode breezing through it. It's moving too fast to get me to actually care about any of the characters, which is seems like it would be the primary point of showing training stuff at all.

For example, spoiler[Oh, no! Some nameless pilot died in a training accident, which makes the nameless characters upset... or something.] It can't make much of an impression when we've seen this little of them.

(I remember STRAIN executing this structure far better, with a lot more emotional punch)

I'm typically afraid of these kinds of adaptations just pandering to the people already familiar with the source material and showing them a couple scenes they have the context to enjoy, while leaving the rest of us out in the cold. This episode didn't do much to assuage that fear, but maybe they'll slow down a bit for the future.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
If you came looking for action in the pilot episode, you will be disappointed. The first episode did not really have any overwhelming moments but it was a decent first episode. It introduces the setting and one of the main cast members - the other(s) yet to be shown. Thus far, we only see spoiler[Yui Takamura's daily live and her preparation against the BETAs.]

The introductory episode feels formulaic but I wasn't disappointed. It may get more interesting in the second part of this "arc" but so far it's a bit of mecha and tightsuit fanservice which I'm pleased with.

I think Muv-Luv fans might be little disappointed with the show so far but I can't say for sure since I've only held minor interests in the series. I'd love to the actual game adapted. This adaption is probably just candy to the fans.

My favorite scene was spoiler[when the old man said he didn't want to leave Kyoto and chose to remain behind.] Something about that made me enjoy the show more.

Edit: I forgot something:

THOSE TIGHTSUITS ARE ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
It was a good episode and series actually has a potential.
Although it provided good look into politics and psychological state of citizens in alternative Japan,it did not over-inform me about the world such as first episode of Code Geass did.
The biggest problem of the episode was that it focused too much on politics and forgot about characters.But my standards may be too high,cause ever since I saw the balance between mechanics of politics and character development in BSPs first episode I have been expecting to see that in every sci fi show.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Well, they didn't put nipples on the suits. Also, knowing Alternative, I have a feeling that at least one of those characters will meet a terrible demise in the next episode.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:

I think Muv-Luv fans might be little disappointed with the show so far but I can't say for sure since I've only held minor interests in the series. I'd love to the actual game adapted. This adaption is probably just candy to the fans.

This is by far one of the most awesome things you hear about in the games. If I'm right, spoiler[ This is the siege and fall of Kyoto ]. It was only in the TE LNs via a passing mention but I think they are taking it above themselves to use it as a world overview and to give life to one of the greatest battles of the Alt-verse.

I had no problems with the animation. They were a few derps here and there but overall, it was decent. Not too high budget but not too low budget. They were a few issues with the CG though, mostly in the form of incorrect shading. The opening theme (if that was the opening) was terrible though. It might work better with an animated OP because it didn't work well with a rolling black credits. The lyrics weren't better, it was mainly whatever the hell was playing in the background.

Overall, it wasn't the greatest first episode but it wasn't the worst.

jl07045 wrote:
Well, they didn't put nipples on the suits. Also, knowing Alternative, I have a feeling that at least one of those characters will meet a terrible demise in the next episode.

Just one of them? Laughing

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:

Indeed. Razz

Its kinda sad that they're the best part of the show though. I didn't get any sort of real connection to any of the girls in this show, although the girl with a boyfriend has a very unique character design that I liked. She almost seems out of place in the animation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
I don't usually enjoy apocalyptic shows with humans getting slaughtered by some random alien race, well at least not the setting. But for what ever reason, I feel attracted to this one, and I feel prepared for what might happen.

As for about the characters, well I get the strong feeling spoiler[that a lot of people will die, if we were too attached, we would probably get scared off. As soon as the fact one girl had a boyfriend, knew they were going to die, and my guess is that plenty of people we are meant to feel sympathy for will die, probably one of Main Character's best friends.]

Those suits are a guilty pleasure, actually I thought that the part where we saw them get the interface with the giant robot was cool.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Ok. Didn't expect ANYTHING out of this episode. I watched it because the description said something about mechs. I was expecting to be bombarded by fanservice, flashy action and annoying stereotype characters. And boy was I wrong.

Sure, boobsuits. Big boobs blabla. But this is left so (comparatively) unexploited that I was pleasantly surprised. Also I liked the fact very much that we actually get to see how the characters learn to do what they're about to do and that the potentially spoiler[annoying standard rivalry was actually believably turned into a growing friendship.] They are emotional but not moe-helpless, they are determined and competent.

Also the scenario is well-introduced. I don't mind a narrator at the beginning and I absolutely dig apocalyptic scenarios. The characters show distinct personal traits that do not come across as flat stereotypes.
spoiler[The scene where they merely waited in their room and we see one girl quietly lamenting the loss of her boyfriend and another one working out shows how much attention the creators pay to details.]

Last but not least, every mecha show that actually doesn't have its protagonists coincidentally sitting in a mobile suit within mere minutes gets on my good side.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This first episode sure does inherit a lot from Gunbuster. It might end up good, but I'm not confident it'll end up great. It does add some uniqueness to a familiar story, but "oh, and some people die" is a lazy method. And the alternate history of "right-wingers wet dream" doesn't get any points from me.

誤称 wrote:
EmbraceMe wrote:

Indeed. Razz

Its kinda sad that they're the best part of the show though. I didn't get any sort of real connection to any of the girls in this show, although the girl with a boyfriend has a very unique character design that I liked. She almost seems out of place in the animation.

Yeah, I feel the exact same way on both the tightsuits and that girl's character design.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster inherits from anime before it too, namely Aim for the Ace, Space Runaway Ideon, and Planetary Robo Danguard Ace. MuvLuv borrows a ton from all other place, and it especially has a nice smattering of intense Japanese nationalism, probably exceeding Yamato's. What really sets the story apart is how wide the scope is compared to say...Blue Gender or Gunparade March where we always just focus on a small group in small conflicts.

Compared to Gunbuster, the fight was never brought to Earth because the space forces always kept the uchuu kaijuu at bay far from home. Compared to Yamato where we start out on the last major confrontation between the two belligerents (and both are sentient and reasonable beings), they have been overthrown yet and the fight is still in its midst against what appears to be an unstoppable and ever-evolving foe. Blue Gender took place after the major conflicts as well, and the remnants were just scraping by or escaped to orbit for a reprieve. Gunparade March does seem the most apt, given that they're young, in school and training, and go out to fight the enemies. But those battles are localized and against one threat at a time, not against an onslaught that leaves nothing behind. What's great here is that they can't stop the invasion and prevail instantaneously like summer Hollywood blockbusters, we already know that there's a ton of story beyond where this goes, given that people think the original games could easily run ~39 episodes. As long as the show keeps focus on conflict and gratuitous shots of explicit violence, we'll wind up with something quite unseen in anime for a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
I love Muff-Love ... er, I mean, Muv-luv. I couldn't help thinking of Gunparade March, too, but this already seems it's going to be way better than that title (tangential thought: I've seen about 9 eppies of the unlicensed Gunparade Orchestra and it is also way better than Gunparade March. I'd love to see it get picked up).

Looking forward to more of this, especially once the girls get into battle.
Noiciba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
Well now I'm interested in this anime because watching the first episode subbed + the episode 2 "preview" + the episode 2 spoilers someone just posted on 4chan made me realize this is exactly like an Evangelion Hikari fanfic I wrote about a year ago.

And I'm cool with that.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not so bad. Can't deny that after all the 1.5 ratings I was expecting something miserably bad and boring. But then again, if they don't make those aliens interesting, count me out. I'm fed up of all female casts. Even the ladies stuff usually come with plenty of women, so why can't they do the same?

It was a strong reminder of Gunparade March, except that there are no young males and the pace is faster (I'm assuming the pace bit, because GM got stuck in relationships for quite a while). But unless they actually explain more about the aliens than Gunparade March did, I doubt it will be better. All this stuff about mysterious attackers need really good writing to work, but I don't see it here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 26