• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was going to be worse, so I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode not being utterly terrible. It seems I go into just about everything these days expecting them to be terrible.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic, the second episode gave me exactly what I wanted. The endless slaughter, the crushing odds, spoiler[everyone dying.] Alternative is at its best when its principle characters are neck deep in a BETA swarm. The only real substantial problem is that the CG looked a bit crummy at times. I also have a bad feeling that this is the last were going to see of the BETA for a long time.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2
Well, if there's one thing, I enjoyed the OP song quite a bit this episode.

Also, quite the action as well as blood in the beginning so I guess business are starting to pick up. This also for some reason felt like watching Starship Troopers but with mecha when I've watching this with the "bugs" being those strange invaders. I'm still not sure to say the overall structure of this episode will work out for me though as it still seems rushed and not clicking well.

However, the action scenes were nice and I can see the tragedy and apocalypse theme playing well. Maybe, it might work out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside the tactical gain in having powerful self-destructs in their mechas, why exactly do they not have one despite being aware that the BETA eat their pilots alive?

I don't mind overlooking a lot of flaws, but this one is just too painfully obvious to watch.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Putting aside the tactical gain in having powerful self-destructs in their mechas, why exactly do they not have one despite being aware that the BETA eat their pilots alive?

I don't mind overlooking a lot of flaws, but this one is just too painfully obvious to watch.

This seemed odd to me also, because spoiler[they do have them. They use the heck out of them in the VN, at least towards the end, so I'm not sure why their absent here.]
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:
egoist wrote:

This seemed odd to me also, because spoiler[they do have them. They use the heck out of them in the VN, at least towards the end, so I'm not sure why their absent here.]

S11 bomb SD-system is used only during Hive infiltration. The bombs intended use is destroying the reactor, though taking out some beta and destroying part of the hive is also a possible use when survival is impossible.

During normal missions, retrieving what's left of the TSF is probably more of a concern for the army than the final moments of the pilot.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
During normal missions, retrieving what's left of the TSF is probably more of a concern for the army than the final moments of the pilot.

Considering that they're already sending little girls to the front lines, I don't see why. I also considered salvaging an option, but are they really going to BETA dominated territories for that? Surely taking along some BETA would've been worth more than some scrap of metal.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

Considering that they're already sending little girls to the front lines, I don't see why. I also considered salvaging an option, but are they really going to BETA dominated territories for that? Surely taking along some BETA would've been worth more than some scrap of metal.
Actually, considering the end of the episode, spoiler[it seems like the BETA just... leave after they win]? Better things to do, I guess.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
To me it looked like they won that battle. If you can count that as victory.
Beized

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, it makes sense when you think about it. Given that the average survival time of 8 minutes for a first encounter with the BETA, it means most of the pilots are either rookies or dead. You probably don't want a bunch of terrified first time pilots blowing themselves up, and near them, the moment they start to panic.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
4nBlue wrote:

Considering that they're already sending little girls to the front lines, I don't see why. I also considered salvaging an option, but are they really going to BETA dominated territories for that?

Don't think they are going to BETA territories, spoiler[but after successful defensive battles, like the one this episode, the army has a surplus of TSFs waiting for new pilots after their cockpits have been refurnished]. At least by 2001 spoiler[they had more TSFs than they had pilots].
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this second episode, especially with the spoiler[ feeling of desperation as the squadron is trying to make it to its rally point. I was really hoping that at least a few of the other girls were going to survive the fall of Kyoto.]

Overall, I actually have high hopes for this series. Since I never heard of the original source material before the anime was announced, I'll be unaffected by any preconceived ideas.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the name and a preview picture of it: I figured it'd be like Rinne, but it seems to be playing out like Evangelion. I was not expecting the level of gore that the second episode showed, which was a pleasant surprise compared to a lot of the kiddie animes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
When I first saw the name and a preview picture of it: I figured it'd be like Rinne, but it seems to be playing out like Evangelion. I was not expecting the level of gore that the second episode showed, which was a pleasant surprise compared to a lot of the kiddie animes.

Check out Ryousuke Takahashi's Blue Gender, it's probably the closest equivalent, and likely an influence on the when the VNs turned all grimdarky. The earlier comparison to Starship Troopers also works, as Blue Gender can be viewed as an anime equivalent of that.
zeroyuki92

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote
Finally I could see BETA and TSF fights animated.

The low budget is painfully obvious, but at least the atmosphere is still good. Too bad that the deaths in this episode doesn't follow my favorite oath in this franchise :

"Achieve your mission with all your might.
Despair not until your last breath.
Make your death count!"

Almost all of the deaths in this ep are useless deaths, in contrary Muv Luv series are known for utilizing all of the deaths for the best effect. But well, it's to be expected since they're just nameless cadets and this epilogue just serves for Yui's backstory and to tell viewers that BETA is serious business.

Now, I don't know what to expect from the actual storyline of Total Eclipse later on. I hope they won't bring shame to the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 26