• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Plenty of soldiers die "useless deaths" in real life, too. Not every soldier gets to die while fighting the good fight.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
*eyes bowl of ravioli* I should not have watched this while eating dinner, and I don't think I will again. Watching spoiler[them get eaten and such] was distressing, my favourite show this season puts a light humor on the end of the world, but watching it here is ...... really gives a feeling of desperation.

Anyway I was wrong about what I suspected from previous episode would happen, a person who died was not her friend, spoiler[everyone died except her. She watched friends disappear in instants of lazer fire, crushed after a moment of being cocky, or torn apart and eaten before her very eyes.] As for the bomb thing, after all that I saw here, I would not be surprised if people just decided to kamikazi instead of having to go through the pain.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Rhyono wrote:
When I first saw the name and a preview picture of it: I figured it'd be like Rinne, but it seems to be playing out like Evangelion. I was not expecting the level of gore that the second episode showed, which was a pleasant surprise compared to a lot of the kiddie animes.

Check out Ryousuke Takahashi's Blue Gender, it's probably the closest equivalent, and likely an influence on the when the VNs turned all grimdarky. The earlier comparison to Starship Troopers also works, as Blue Gender can be viewed as an anime equivalent of that.

That' what I was thinking of too. Similar situation, similar levels of despair and angst.

What the second episode really confirmed for me was that Yui is a fu**ing badass main character. Not exploited for fanservice or anything. Sure, she was scared shitless at the end of episode 2 but what rookie wouldn't be? Seeing as this was only a backstory so far, I'm kind of tense about where this will go but it definitely has potential to be a really good(if somewhat under-budgeted) series.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
oh my seeing ep.2 i did guess right went ga rei zero route on this ep indeed rocks falls & nearly everyone get "whack".

good grief really some stuff too ugh yet hmm on it to watch.
Noiciba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Well, it's not so bad. Can't deny that after all the 1.5 ratings I was expecting something miserably bad and boring. But then again, if they don't make those aliens interesting, count me out. I'm fed up of all female casts. Even the ladies stuff usually come with plenty of women, so why can't they do the same?

It was a strong reminder of Gunparade March, except that there are no young males and the pace is faster (I'm assuming the pace bit, because GM got stuck in relationships for quite a while). But unless they actually explain more about the aliens than Gunparade March did, I doubt it will be better. All this stuff about mysterious attackers need really good writing to work, but I don't see it here.

Point 1 - Most of the usable men were used in the initial attacks so for the most part, dead. That's also why the cast seemed so young. They had to lower the age required because they were running out. Most of the "actual" cast is primary maid up with experinced soldiers and I actually think it's a fair ratio of men to women.

Point 2- Probably intentional. age does love references after all. The situation the series is also pretty similar. Gunparade game goes off the radar when it's first released, gets an anime, people get more aware of it. Similar thing with Muv Luv. Albeit, it's slightly more mainstream in the VN community.

Also; major spoilers for the VN, read at your own risk:
spoiler[ BETA are essentially miners looking for resources controlled by a central command structure which we don't know much about, aside from the fact it's a hivemind.]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 jumps ahead several years and finally introduces the male lead.

The promotional picture that they have for this show is quite misleading, as by this episode, it's a pretty even female to male ratio in the show's cast
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3
Loved it!

Things starts to pick up and drama is in the air as not only the male protagonist officially makes his debut but also his fellow teammates.

Mm, I see drama already in the air not only involving that tomboy/chobi but also a more serious girl, especially towards the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Finally! Some guys! About time too.
Yuuya looked very promising. Chobi was really fired up all the time.
spoiler[Representatives from the countries overrun by BETA acting as a team.
It's a nice idea, but there are always issues to work out.
Their little fighting exercise was pretty interesting to watch.
Looks like some of them need to learn to work with others instead of playing solo all the time.]

I liked this episode. It was pretty good.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love urban warfare training, and Mamiko Noto in those roles.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
it would be better if they kill off those new characters in the new few eps too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it has one of my favourite opening songs of the season. Now we have a male lead. And it looks like those white haired girls will get involved somehow, my guess is that they are super secret project, perhaps they are like clones or something.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm an episode behind, but man I was pissed at episode two. I'm glad Kyoto was overrun and all those people killed, as I have no sympathy for a nation too stupid to use cluster bombs, A-10s and Apaches. Seriously, if Japan had used those weapons in conjunction with the common landmine they would have easily repulsed the BETA. Easily.

But oh no, they have to use giant robots and eschew any form of missile technology. Why not use missiles fired from predator drones fly past the enemies and then turn around in mid-air to strike said enemies from their vulnerable behinds? Cheap, effective and doesn't put any lives in danger. Half the deaths in the episode can be attributed to pilots making their robots - which have jet engines by the way - stand in one spot shooting the heavily-armoured heads of their ground-based opponents. The only pilots who actually flew above the enemy were a small group of the inexperienced girls, who then had no long-range weapons - such as a sniper rifle or Hellfire missiles - to take care of the slow and unarmoured laser-class BETA.

I'm all for a gritty and hopeless fight, but at least design your mechs so that they are actually useful. The Mobile Suits in Gundam are also stupid but at least they work in the context of the story. In this show however the TFS (or whatever they are called) are clearly inferior to the sort of technology we have right now, and for a Mecha show that is unacceptable.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm an episode behind, but man I was pissed at episode two. I'm glad Kyoto was overrun and all those people killed, as I have no sympathy for a nation too stupid to use cluster bombs, A-10s and Apaches. Seriously, if Japan had used those weapons in conjunction with the common landmine they would have easily repulsed the BETA. Easily.

Laser-class. They have 30 km range, which is far enough to destroy any incoming aircraft or missile at a safe distance.

As for giant robots, c'mon.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

But oh no, they have to use giant robots and eschew any form of missile technology. Why not use missiles fired from predator drones fly past the enemies and then turn around in mid-air to strike said enemies from their vulnerable behinds? Cheap, effective and doesn't put any lives in danger. Half the deaths in the episode can be attributed to pilots making their robots - which have jet engines by the way - stand in one spot shooting the heavily-armoured heads of their ground-based opponents. The only pilots who actually flew above the enemy were a small group of the inexperienced girls, who then had no long-range weapons - such as a sniper rifle or Hellfire missiles - to take care of the slow and unarmoured laser-class BETA.

I'm all for a gritty and hopeless fight, but at least design your mechs so that they are actually useful. The Mobile Suits in Gundam are also stupid but at least they work in the context of the story. In this show however the TFS (or whatever they are called) are clearly inferior to the sort of technology we have right now, and for a Mecha show that is unacceptable.

Laser class neutralize anything airborne that isn't an orbital drop through a chaff cloud.

Planes and helicopters are only used when no laser class have been confirmed.

Combined arms are a really big thing in MLA. Especially in Muv Luv Unlimited The Day After Episode 01 where TSFs' main duty is keeping the BETA from advancing until it has been confirmed that no laser class exist and the bombers can sortie. And even before the bombers are in the air, most of the kills are thanks to nuclear bombs buried near the BETA's landing point and heavy shelling and missiles from the navy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 26