• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Thoughts on Manhwa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enjin2000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
limited coverage

I'm not sure what it does mean. If it means news covering besides manhwa database, I don't agree. It's not because I'm Japanese, but because ANN covers *Japanese* culture.

I'm on John Oppliger with this issue: http://www.animenation.net/news/askjohn.php?id=970
I think ANN should not slant the policy except the database and so forth. If you're eager to do it, it's better to begin MNN (Manwha News Network) .
aegeus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there already limited coverage of some Manwha in the database?

Kill Me, Kiss Me
Demon Diary
Ragnarok
Les Bijoux
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind it in the news or whatnot, but not in the database, simply because I'd rather see the manga part filled out more first. IMO, any resources taking away from manga/anime sections is a waste, no matter how small.

I also think the poll is a bit unfair. I read manga, but have not read manwha, not that I won't. Not a big deal though.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
aegeus wrote:
Isn't there already limited coverage of some Manwha in the database?

Kill Me, Kiss Me
Demon Diary
Ragnarok
Les Bijoux

Yes, but it's in the category of "Not manga, but related." I think the idea is to actually have a "manwha" category, rather than clumping the manwha in with the mishmash of "related to anime/manga" things.

I think the idea of reviewing Korean titles is a good idea; just in the reviews section and having a couple of *specials* column-wise, like has been happening. There's obviously a demand to see what's going on with some series that just happen to be Korean. Also creating a "manwha" section in the encyc would be helpful.

But, as far as news coverage...I think ANN already does a good job covering Korean news that is related to anime. Yes "anime" is seen as having a general definition for animation in some people's eyes, but once you start covering Korean stuff...where do you draw the line on what or what not to cover?

Samurai CDZ wrote:
I don't mind it in the news or whatnot, but not in the database, simply because I'd rather see the manga part filled out more first. IMO, any resources taking away from manga/anime sections is a waste, no matter how small.

I don't think many "resources" will be taken away from the existing anime/manga database. I mean, people already submit manwha/Korean info...it's just a matter of giving it it's own section. Then people can add additional info just like with the anime and manga stuff.
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:15 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Samurai CDZ wrote:

I don't think many "resources" will be taken away from the existing anime/manga database. I mean, people already submit manwha/Korean info...it's just a matter of giving it it's own section. Then people can add additional info just like with the anime and manga stuff.

True, but then errors pop up and that takes staff time to fix, etc. It's a not bad idea, I just don't think with the manga section as scarce as it is that adding a new section is a good idea. In the future, maybe, but now, no.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Poll # 1 - Do you read manwha?

Sadly, many people won't give it a chance just simply because they're so warp in the japanese culture that they see othe cutural work as inferior. Just like japan, manga have some great title as well as crappy one, but most imporantly the creative one should get recognition. To me, manwha is just like manga but from a different cutlure. Heck, even animeondvd covers manga title.

Poll #2 - ANN is thinking of adding limited coverage of manwha (Korean comics) to our "mandate.

The databased:. sure. They could at least put it up, and then us manwha reader and fill in the info. Again, there is an interested in korean manwha yet, there's no informatin on the title. How are people suppose to know? Sure it does takes very little away from the manga/anime databased, but I doubt it takes much tiime at all putting up a page for some title. Maybe someone else can dedicate some focus on manga title, to free up the staff. beside, there's not much manga being licensed as oppose to manga which is like 8 times the size.

Well those are my thoughs on the 2 poll (i didn't bother answering the last one). People who dismiss it probably never gave manwha (or even manga) a chance. Yup, the anime fanboy.

I own 4 manwha title that I really enjoy as much as my favorite manga title:
Priest, Rangarok, Rebirth & Nambu.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm against adding a manhwa section only if ANN is against the idea of eventually adding a section for manga style comics by North Americans. The industry is growing for these as well, and it has as much right to be listed as manhwa.

I regularly contribute to the manga section of the encyclopedia, but I have no idea how to go about getting much info for manhwa, so adding a manhwa section won't be taking much from me. Maybe this will actually bring new contributors who have knowledge of manhwa.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Geez, even Newtype and Animerica does coverage of non-Japanese anime/manga stuff.

You guys shouldn't be so close minded. Nowadays the industry is getting too big and influential to just have Anime News Network only deal with Japanese-only stuff.

I'm not Japanese but from the hardcore Japanese anime/manga fans I know, they want the rest of the world to be influenced by their culture. Because of the efforts these guys did that's how a lot of us American fans got hooked into anime and manga in the first place.

There are some good works out there, especially Korean manga. What's wrong with exposing anime/manga fans to other cultures heavily influenced by anime/manga? ANN is not going to have Korean manga dominate the whole site or anything.

I think as fans we have to accept this new evolution of the anime/manga industry: it's being branched off and heavily influenced internationally.
Aoi Tsumi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Why is it that all sorts of vanguards are so oftenly cause of controversy, even though after a little time goes by, it becomes ultimately clear that there is no need for such thing. And people usually wonder "how could there be an actual doubt about that back then?"

I am most against saying that ANN covers "Japanese" culture... and I certainly missed that part in the Immutable Stone Table Laws section of the site... I think that such thing doesn't exist (or if it does, it decidedly shouldn't). ANN covers the type of culture that is clearly identified with manga and anime. And I find no reason why manwha shouldn't be considered the same thing as manga. It is evidently a branch of that type of work, and its influence can not be denied. The fact that it is from another country is meaningless, once you open your eyes to the not so shocking reality: the Korean titles have the same characteristics of any Japanese manga (that is, if such an useless thing as the school of manga, with set rules and principles, ever existed). There is not a single one here who would be able to tell a manwha from a manga if the Korean authors adopted Japanese pseudonyms.

To reject the obvious growing importance and quality of Korean MANGA simply because of the nation it was made in goes slightly beyond prejudice... it nearly reaches ignorance.

But I think that the best way to prove that those titles should be treated equally is thinking about the future. If there are some here who are against the covering of manwha, there is certainly no one who doesn't acknowledge Korea's growth in the Japan-influenced entertainment market. Not only in comic books, but when the subject is anime as well. You can't turn your eyes away from the significant participation of Korean professionals on many Japanese animations (and it's frequently of high level). If you manage to open your mind enough to accept that Korea's influence will grow to the point where it simply won't be possible NOT to cover manwha, then the question of whether you should or shouldn't cover it now becomes pointless.

I am neither Korean nor Japanese. And I don't read Japan, I read works of quality...
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I'm against adding a manhwa section only if ANN is against the idea of eventually adding a section for manga style comics by North Americans. The industry is growing for these as well, and it has as much right to be listed as manhwa.

I regularly contribute to the manga section of the encyclopedia, but I have no idea how to go about getting much info for manhwa, so adding a manhwa section won't be taking much from me. Maybe this will actually bring new contributors who have knowledge of manhwa.

Aside from megatokyo, I have yet to see any other real major work that is making an impact on the manga communities. Heck, at most major retailer, they don't group american style graphic novel with the manga and manwha.

Manwha on the other hand are usually treated the same way as manga. Tokyopop, CMP Press, ADV & comicsone all have manwha included with thier manga and treat them the same way as they do with thier manga. They (the manga companies), like most manga fan - arn't interested in american-style manga (aside from tokyopop and a few online stuff)
VespaChick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:02 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Aside from megatokyo, I have yet to see any other real major work that is making an impact on the manga communities. Heck, at most major retailer, they don't group american style graphic novel with the manga and manwha.

Manwha on the other hand are usually treated the same way as manga. Tokyopop, CMP Press, ADV & comicsone all have manwha included with thier manga and treat them the same way as they do with thier manga. They (the manga companies), like most manga fan - arn't interested in american-style manga (aside from tokyopop and a few online stuff)

Actually TP along with that new Seven Seas company are producing a LOT of new american-made manga-styled books. Its unfair to say that they haven't made an impact, aside from Megatokyo, when just the fact that an american comic artist who draws in a manga-influenced style can find work these days IS impact. A few years ago that wasnt the case, if you didn't do full-color work in a more-american-than-not-style, you were NOT going to find work with a publisher.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I think Manhwa should definitely be covered, since to me it's really no different than manga. But, to appease those that disagree, the coverage doesn't have to be all-out. Just small efforts even, like each column of RTO has one manhwa title included and post any bits of news/information people could provide. Start small and see where it goes, at least. I just don't want to see people reject something nearly the same as manga because jApaN R0x0rz... let's be open minded. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Tsumi wrote:
There is not a single one here who would be able to tell a manwha from a manga if the Korean authors adopted Japanese pseudonyms.

I beg to disagree with this statement.

Were you to place a Japanese Pseudonym on a manwha, I admit that I'd be forced to believe that it was Japanese. But were you to remove the name, I'm more than certain that I could, 80% of the time, correctly determine if it is Korean or Japanese.

In the past I've been in this situation, and I've been correct at least 80% of the time.

There is some *very* good Korean manhwa out there, but that doesn't make it equal or identical to the average manga. There are particular traits of Manhwa that make it identifiable. These traits come from numerous influences in Korean culture.

What's more, and I'm sure to ruffle a few feathers by saying this, I find the story telling quality in the average manhwa to be inferior to the quality of story telling in the average manga. They tend to be very blunt in the way they go about things. More akin to Chinese man hua in this manner than to Japanese manga.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with our decision regarding covering manhwa (see next post), I just disagreed with your statement regarding identifying manga and manhwa and felt that it would make an interesting topic to discuss.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:58 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people have been talking about resistance, closed mindedness and such.

Let me assure you that this has nothing to do with any decision we might make in this matter.

There are two reasons for Anime News Network not to cover manwha, and one reason for us to cover it.

Cons
1) We are Anime News Network. We cover Japanese animation, and to a lesser degree the manga that spawned it.

There are plenty of interesting topics out there for us to discuss, we could talk about Japanese culture, Japanese live action movies, Chinese animation, Korean animation, French comics, French animation, Swedish comics, American animation, etc etc etc... We Don't. Up until now, regardless of how interesting something is, the line has always been drawn at Japanese Comics and Animation and a slight amount of peripheral coverage.

2) It would take more resources. There are only so many hours in a day, and I spend most of them working on this website. I don't have extra time to give, and we don't have the resources to hire other people yet. Some aspects of manwha coverage may cause very little extra work, others may cause more. But no matter what, it will increase the workload, and since, as I said, there's no more time in my day to be had, it will decrease how much time I spend covering what this website is really about.

Pro

1) Manwha is extremely influenced by manga, for economic reasons as well as influence many manhwa artists try to imitate manga. As a result, they are very similar, and often appeal to the same people. North American companies, Tokyopop and others have taken advantage of this to sell manhwa beside and mixed in with manga. Some companies make no effort to differentiate between the two, and some even try to hide the difference. A lot of our readers (and staff) read and enjoy manhwa, and a lot of our potential readers wouldn't know the difference between a manhwa or a manga if they were hit over the head with a truckload of copies of Ragnarok.

We can quantify for ourselves the cons, but quantifying the pro requires feedback from our readers. Hence this discussion and the poll.

-t
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
the coverage doesn't have to be all-out. Just small efforts even, like each column of RTO has one manhwa title included and post any bits of news/information people could provide.

Would you want a combo RTO, or rather just have one RTO periodically devoted to all manwha? (I'm building a stash of titles for a second manwha special.) As far as I'm concerned, the way the market is at the moment..manga/manwha...it's all the same.

And I agree with Tempest about the storytelling quality of manwha. While I don't claim to be an expert by any means on manwha or manga, I do read quite a bit of both. Even some of the best manwha that is out right now falls quite a bit short of the best manga that is out. Again, not that this has anything to do with the discussion at hand.

...of course now that I think about it. Seeing as manwha does have a significant lack of storytelling compared to manga...it's almost unfair to compare some of it with the manga. Like Hellsing is a great series, but in my mind, even Priest (only title I could kinda of think that's similar) being the great book that it is, still falls short compared to it. Priest is a great manwha, but probably only a mediocre series in the big picture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2