• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tetsuooooo!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The main weakness of Akira is that it tries to cram too much plot into a mere(!) two hours or so of movie time - to be expected, given that it's condensing down more than 1,000 pages of manga. That can make it hard to follow on a first viewing, and the original English dub/sub altering a few key words in places didn't help. (Centrifuge instead of capsules?)

To accuse it of having no plot is just ridiculous, however, and it still stands as one of the greatest musical and artistic achievements amongst all anime movies. It was also possibly the biggest "gateway" title for those entering fandom in the late '80s and early-to-mid '90s. Those alone should be reasons enough to respect it, even if you are a newer fan.

I always felt it would have been better split into 2 OVA's and not just one movie. There was so much there you really had to be paying attention. If you had to use the bathroom pause the vhs player (yea that's right it came out on vhs Razz )because if you left it running you'd miss something. The one argument you could make was it had TOO MUCH plot for a 2 hour movie. Especially when you consider how much of a gateway title it was. That means you've got your Scooby Doo and Smurfs fans, and other American cartoons of the time, going from them to Akira. Just a tad of a switch. So in that aspect it is a bit much to take in for a single 2 hour movie. However for me that huge change in material was what got me interested personally. I still remember the first time I knew I was watching anime was when CN played their late night Anime Invasion and they played (if I remember correctly) Akira, Vampire Hunter D, and Project A-Ko. Talk about not your normal Staurday morning fare heh.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Key wrote:
and the original English dub/sub altering a few key words in places didn't help.

As much as I love Akira, I'll admit it could have done without the line "you little twerrrrps!" in the dub, amusing though it was.

I do have to say I've never been able to stomach the dub, never listened to it more than the first few minutes, one time. Are we in Brooklyn, or Tokyo? Smile You can "not like" the movie, that's fine. Lots of people didn't like Citizen Kane either. I just can't see anyone arguing with it being a landmark of anime.
blooregardo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
hahaha, nice article, maybe the first i like around here.
Hmph, and such a collection... i have no anime against that ^^
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just can't see anyone arguing with it being a landmark of anime.

No argument here. xD I can't see why, but I'm certainly not going to say it wasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
xmen510

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I love Akira, but I don't think I'll get it on Blue-Ray. Haven't heard of the other, though I'll probably check it out. It sounds interesting. I absolutely cannot stand Afro. Hate it, I do.

Also, I will also comment that that is one heck of a lot of Manga they have piled up. Shocked
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
here's a week full of Shelf Worthy releases

While it is for you, it isn't for me. From all I've read about Afro Samurai, it seems like a title that would go into perishable for me. The art doesn't really appeal to me, and that most likely won't change when it starts moving no matter how good it does move. I can look past unappealing art, if the story or characters catch me in some way, but it's obvious that Afro Samurai's story is nothing to speak of and not even Mr. Jackson can get me all that interested in the characters.

Both Claymore and Story of Saiunkoku sound like they would be something I would enjoy, though. Those will join my collection as soon as I can get money to flow into my bank account instead of out of it. Having both the special edition and the DTS version on top of being thoroughly unimpressed by Bluray makes this Akira release a no go.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
No argument here. xD I can't see why, but I'm certainly not going to say it wasn't.

I am definitely not an old timer, by any means, at all. I've had a unique opportunity to binge on anime in the past couple of years, so my viewpoint is a bit different from having seen probably 150 anime (excepting most shonen titles, and I'm embarrassed to say that's a conservative number) in that amount of time and having virtually no external viewpoints to influence my perceptions. I can say that Akira blew me away, being watched after lots of more modern anime. Not because its story or plot (which it obviously did have) was that impressive or unique, but because the animation was astounding to me. The level of detail and the execution of complex movement without the aid of CG, alone, makes it a landmark, not counting the music and the philosophic nature of its content.

The closest I can come to comparing is 2001: A Space Odyssey. And even that movie was panned by the most respected of critics:

"It's a monumentally unimaginative movie... The light-show trip is of no great distinction; compared to the work of experimental filmmakers like Jordan Belson, it's third-rate. If big film directors are to get credit for doing badly what others have been doing brilliantly for years with no money, just because they've put it on the big screen, then businessmen are greater than poets and theft is art."
-- Pauline Kael, Harper's (February, 1969) anthologized in her collection For Keeps (1994)

This is perhaps the most famous of Kael's very few major misses. But many actually agreed with her then, and more today.

Akira was a major accomplishment in the medium at the time, but it also stands the test of time in terms of art. Today, 2001 seems slow and pedantic even to me though I was blown away the first time I saw it, as were most of the audience. Yet it was a groundbreaking achievement in film as art, comparable to Star Wars in a completely opposite way, as commercial film. Akira can't fairly be compared to today's productions in terms of polish, but the level of expertise demonstrated on the screen cannot be objectively denied. Especially when I cringe at the transitional 3D CG period, before they learned how to integrate CG models with hand-drawn art. Beyond that, the concepts and themes are universal and ring true to most any classic sci-fi fan, so it's entertaining from that aspect as well. If you want an anime that didn't go as far as necessary with its resources to achieve greatness, while having every opportunity to do so, then compare Metropolis. It's stunning visually, but there's just something missing to make it great.

I don't expect to change anyone's opinion on entertainment, however.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Cela: Well, in Akira's case, you just don't want to get it.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
stuckinfresno wrote:
Claymore - ah I don't know if I will ever be able to decide. There are such solid reviews for the series and then there is the complaints about the end. I end up ho-humming and accomplishing no decision making. (Maybe if rightstuf has a killer sale) Ahh, the weight of deciding on a new series to add to the collection!

Why so difficult? ... if you can't decide, just read the manga. It has all the good stuff of the anime without the bad parts Very Happy Then you can always buy the anime, if you like it and want to see everything animated.

Key wrote:
(And for those interested in an anime/manga correlation guide on this title, see this page.)

That's incomplete though, even if only a little, but it adds up.

spoiler[Alicia was cut out after the fight with Riful and of course out of everything after that as well.

At the end of Teresa's arc, some information about Priscilla's behavior was left out. This appears again in Ophelia's arc and Riful's (also cut out in the anime).

Slasher's arc: Miria has a different answer to Helen's question about what she found out about the org so far. This reappears in the manga later on.]

Quote:
One key scene corresponds to Volume 11: Chapter 60, but most content is entirely original. Except for Raki’s disposition, it does at least generally come back in line with Volume 12 of the manga by its conclusion.

Huh? You'll really have to explain that to me once the final DVD has been released, to me it couldn't be any more different Anime hyper They left out and changed so much stuff that I really can't imagine how a second season could get back into the manga storyline without rewritting those last episodes oO; *Hopes for Claymore to get FMA or Hellsing treatment* Very Happy
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cela: Well, in Akira's case, you just don't want to get it.

Yes, that's it. I don't want to get it. I watched the movie (twice!) didn't like it either time, end of story. Boo hoo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I was never a particularly great fan of Akira. I can see why it is real popular, I just never really got emotionally involved, the final scenes actually made me quesy and I almost stopped watching twice. Dunno, just rubbed me the wrong way.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Cela: Well, I don't expect you to "like" it, but I think it's worth your time to at least admire the symbolism, the realism, and the raw energy and emotion.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:
One key scene corresponds to Volume 11: Chapter 60, but most content is entirely original. Except for Raki’s disposition, it does at least generally come back in line with Volume 12 of the manga by its conclusion.

Huh? You'll really have to explain that to me once the final DVD has been released, to me it couldn't be any more different Anime hyper They left out and changed so much stuff that I really can't imagine how a second season could get back into the manga storyline without rewritting those last episodes oO; *Hopes for Claymore to get FMA or Hellsing treatment* Very Happy

Content will always be left out of anime adaptations since their structure doesn't allow for the kind of side-noting that's possible in manga format. If you get too picky about minor details being left out then you'll never be satisfied with an anime adaptation of a manga.

As for explaining about the ending. . . well, let's just say that my review of the final volume should be very interesting. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Cela: Well, I don't expect you to "like" it, but I think it's worth your time to at least admire the symbolism, the realism, and the raw energy and emotion.

Don't go there.

Key--
I watched Gigantor, Kimba & Speed Racer when they were originally on tv here in the states-maybe even Astro, I vaguely remember it. I remember playing Gigantor & Kimba, singing the songs & all. Not that I knew they were Japanese until more recently. They were just cartoons on tv to me.
I grew up in the 60's & 70's. We didn't really have anime back then otherwise. I was into fantasy & sci-fi as a teen, though not the hardcore dry rocketship stuff. Piers Anthony. Saberhagen. Brown. Thieves World. Heroes in Hell. So when my child was born, I actually sat with her to watch the cartoons with her & found Power Rangers & Pokemon far more interesting than Doug or Hey Arnold. After her father died, I encouraged her interest because I also liked the stuff (CCS) & we rented all the stuff Blocbuster had. Sorcerer Hunters was Fun. Ninja Scroll was good, though the rape scene sort of popped up unexpectedly.
And of course they had Akira.
Oh....my....god.
Poke my eyes out please.

I actually never saw 2001 because everything I read about it & the few clips I've seen suggest it's a rather bloated piece. Maybe because I am a child of the 60's, I really detest I AM MAKING SUCH AN BIG IMPORTANT STATEMENT MOVIES/BOOKS/MUSIC-OOOOOO. YOU MAY ALL BOW NOW.
I sort of wish someone would crush the damned egg in Utena already, but the series is watchable. The movie is really pushing my limits.
I've tried Eva from time to time (ok, watched 2 of the dvds), but my god, can we get more pretentious? Akira's up there also.

All you people who like that blank canvas art stuff--go for it. I don't need to climb a ladder to read a note saying "You are here".

So Gatsu, your
Quote:
symbolism, the realism, and the raw energy and emotion
is my self-important, bloated crap a 2 yr old could understand, but shouldn't be made to suffer thru

Because really "realism" in a cartoon? Excuse me? I get enough realism every day in my life every day.

"Raw Emotion"? Again, I've had more than my share (like the morning I found my husband dead was real & raw emotion) & expect to experience more on a regular basis.

"Raw energy"? I think my little kitten probably has raw more energy than Akira. She sure can tear up a room in about 15 minutes. I used to compare my daughter to the energizer bunny when she was little because she went until she dropped-literally. She'd pass out playing. It was like some epic battle she fought every day not to go quietly to sleep.
I don't need to look for raw energy in a movie.

I don't NEED an anime to define me. I use anime to unwind after a hard day talking to convicted felons who lie to me all day long.

My assessment when I saw Akira was "It's a guy flick"
You guys dismiss stuff we like as "chick flick" (I know you, Gatsu, dismiss all the shojo stuff Geneon brings us like Saiunkoku.)

So maybe one of the issues is anime back then was largely a land of geeky guys & now there are all sorts of fans who could care less. We have access to more than 5 titles to watch.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I actually never saw 2001 because everything I read about it & the few clips I've seen suggest it's a rather bloated piece. Maybe because I am a child of the 60's, I really detest I AM MAKING SUCH AN BIG IMPORTANT STATEMENT MOVIES/BOOKS/MUSIC-OOOOOO. YOU MAY ALL BOW NOW.

This is anti-intellectualism and you're missing out on a lot of great movies.

Yes some movies are pretentious, and some are art. 2001 is art, and Stanley Kubrick was an artist. I don't really care what the stupid contrarian internet dumbass opinion is, it is a part of our culture and a piece of true American art. Not seeing it because you're trying to take some meaningless stand against anything you think might be trying to say something is just depriving yourself of sharing in the great history of film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6