• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tetsuooooo!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I must admit, I wasn't even allowed to watch Nick when I was younger. Even the slightest offensive programming was monitored by hardcore Christian parentage. I had to be limited to what my uncle who often visited snuck in over VHS. xD

Heh, join the club. I know exactly what that's like. Razz

Quote:

There's also Flying House which I thought was better. Both were commissioned by the Christian Broadcast Network to Tatsunoko Studio (of Macross fame).

I grew up on both Superbook and Flying House, and yes, Flying House was better. Parts of it were a lot darker and scarier than Superbook, at least to my 7 year old mind. Wink

Ah, good memories.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

Quote:

There's also Flying House which I thought was better. Both were commissioned by the Christian Broadcast Network to Tatsunoko Studio (of Macross fame).

I grew up on both Superbook and Flying House, and yes, Flying House was better. Parts of it were a lot darker and scarier than Superbook, at least to my 7 year old mind. Wink

Huh, I thought the boys were just watching it for the girls.... Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

This is anti-intellectualism and you're missing out on a lot of great movies.

Yes some movies are pretentious, and some are art. 2001 is art, and Stanley Kubrick was an artist. I don't really care what the stupid contrarian internet dumbass opinion is, it is a part of our culture and a piece of true American art. Not seeing it because you're trying to take some meaningless stand against anything you think might be trying to say something is just depriving yourself of sharing in the great history of film.

I've seen Citizen Kane. Gone with the Wind. Love the Marx Brothers & swashbucklers. I own a copy of M. I have my fair share of historic cinema. Hell, I have a Mr. Moto flick. Love Arsenic & Old Lace. Cary Grant, Errol Flynn, Peter Lorre, Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff are all actors I love to watch.
Unfortunately I got into metal as a teen & took to heart that rebellion. Alice Cooper sang "I've got the answers to all of your questions if you've got the money to pay me in gold. I will be living in old Monte Carlo & you will be reading these secrets I've sold."
If I already know whatever message this or that movie-maker is telling, why should I waste 2 hours of my time? It actually annoys me when they beat the viewer over the head with their IMPORTANT MESSAGE. I can take it in some cases, but I'm not stupid & I don't need some Hollywood moviemaker enlightening me. I was really glad when my child outgrew Disney because the newer titles from that studio are so brutally on a timeline-here a joke, there let's insert a little danger--BIG FINALE!. The old stuff is great--picked up Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray.
As I said, I enjoyed Utena the series, but the movie was a struggle because the symbolism was so friggin blatant it felt as though the director were hitting us over the head with it.

I very much enjoyed The Shining. I've seen Sparticus, though I was really young & don't remember it beyond Kirk Douglas yelling some stuff. I've always meant to check out Dr Strangelove & Clockwork Orange, but have just never gotten around to it. I have an incredible amount of stuff in my "to watch" pile right now including Fearless Vampire Killers & Pan's Labrynth.

Not everyone has to love the same directors. I really like DePalma myself. Watching every movie someone else thinks is a "must see" probably means one will never have time to watch the stuff one likes like Captain Kronus, Duck Soup & batteries not included.

Gatsu--
chicks can like guy flicks just like guys can like chick flicks. Aren't action movies directed at guys, but gals can like them just as much.

At least I watched Akira thru to the end. I really, really disliked the movie while I really liked Ninja Scroll, something I also consider a guy flick. I bought the special edition of Ninja Scroll. And I think I got the special edition of Vampire Hunter D. I'm just really not into certain hardcore sci-fi stuff which is also the problem with 2001.
KannaLilly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
So much manga 0.0... and it has Dramacon Very Happy

Saiunkoku~~~! I can never remember how to spell it, but it's one of my favorite series. And while English voice actors tend to remain in my mind as the first character I heard them as, who knows why, but I can switch my brain from Sango to Shurei in an instant Smile
nobinobita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="CCSYueh"]
Zac wrote:

It actually annoys me when they beat the viewer over the head with their IMPORTANT MESSAGE. I can take it in some cases, but I'm not stupid & I don't need some Hollywood moviemaker enlightening me..

I agree with this sentiment. This is why I don't watch TV Dramas (not even Battle Star Galactica, although my friends have tried). I'm curious though, what did you feel was the big overbearing message of Akira?

From my experience, it's more often that people find the movie obtuse and confusing than pandering.

One of the primary reasons I like Akira is that I felt it gives the viewer alot of breathing room to decide how they feel about what's happening. I felt the movie was more concerned with describing the event itself, rather than ascribing a moral quality to it (a quality that I admire in alot of Japanese writing throughout the ages).

What I love about Akira (and also about 2001: A Space Odyssey) is that it gives you the feeling that you are viewing something very important. Both movies lead up to climaxes that feel religious in their significance, but it's never really spelled out to you How and What you should feel about them. I understand that some might feel the movies are bloated and self important, but I don't think the director of either movie is hitting you over the head with any particular message. Rather they are just asking you "how does this make you feel?" and perhaps "why do you suppose you feel this way?"
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:

I agree with this sentiment. This is why I don't watch TV Dramas (not even Battle Star Galactica, although my friends have tried). I'm curious though, what did you feel was the big overbearing message of Akira?

From my experience, it's more often that people find the movie obtuse and confusing than pandering.

It has been ages since I watched it (2002?) Very early in my anime career before I amassed a collection of 2200 anime dvds...I probably should try it again. I just remember it as really ugly (& it wasn't the violence. I drove all over town trying to pick up each volume of Hellsing tv as it was being released which was much harder in those dark days). Shades of "Solyent Green is people!" sort of sci-fi memories where the stupid tv channels in Utah went to bed at 11pm on weeknights & 1 am on the Saturday & showed the same packages of movies so I saw them all so many fricken times. I'm almost 50, so I watched 6 Million Dollar Man, Battlestar Gallactica, etc. I loved My Mother the Car when I was 5 yrs old. I grew up on all that campy 60's stuff like Batman & Wild Wild West. I saw Gigantor & Kimba & never knew they were anime back then.

However, as I said, Ninja Scroll was cool & I love Kikuchi's stuff like D & Darkside Blues. I have Blues, D, & Wicked City

nobinobita wrote:

What I love about Akira (and also about 2001: A Space Odyssey) is that it gives you the feeling that you are viewing something very important. Both movies lead up to climaxes that feel religious in their significance, but it's never really spelled out to you How and What you should feel about them. I understand that some might feel the movies are bloated and self important, but I don't think the director of either movie is hitting you over the head with any particular message. Rather they are just asking you "how does this make you feel?" and perhaps "why do you suppose you feel this way?"

I came out of the generation where women were regularly told we couldn't understand stuff. Women should just go do what women do best (make coffee, dinner, kids). So I think I have a lower tolerance for BIG MESSAGES because I'm not stupid. Don't talk down to me. I don't need a movie to make me feel any certain way.
I very much remember the big MTV debate in the early '80's. A lot of bands really were hesitant to make videos for MTV because they were afraid people would say "See, that's what the song's about".
nobinobita

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Don't talk down to me. I don't need a movie to make me feel any certain way.
I very much remember the big MTV debate in the early '80's. A lot of bands really were hesitant to make videos for MTV because they were afraid people would say "See, that's what the song's about".

That's an interesting example with the MTV videos. I think I see what you mean, with people reading too much into the visuals.

I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you, this is just the internet and I try to be thorough avoid any misunderstandings.

If you do watch Akira again, or if you do remember what you took away from it as its central message, please let me know. I have no interest in trying to refute your feelings, I'm just curious from one movie fan to another.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I don't need a movie to make me feel any certain way.

I can understand why one wouldn't want to watch a piece of film intended to make the viewer adopt a certain stance, or act in a particular way in their everyday lives. To an extent I hold this view also.

Surely though, you do wish for films to evoke particular feelings in you- feelings which constitute one's being entertained.
Any messages one could interpret Akira as trying to impart I found not nearly as important as the sense of awe and excitement it brought about in me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6