×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Just 4 Days Left to Enter the Pumpkin Carving Contest! • The competition is heating up but there's still time to enter for a chance to win over US$1,000 in anime DVDs and swag! Click to find out how! read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVDs 7 + 8


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DestG7



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
I liked this review, and specially this statement:

Quote:
These volumes may have some strong content, but on the whole they stray far from the series at its best.


For luck, in the DVD 9 (eps. 33-37) returns some of the things we have loved about Death Note.

I will expect your next review, Key.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Who Is This Guy!?



Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
You know...I'm actually one of the select few who liked Mello for what he brought to the table...

Sure he's nowhere near L...but he brings in an interesting perspective to catching Light; utilizing the mafia, and playing by no rules whatsoever.

It's not everyday you have a ruthless mafia ringleader trying to catch the world's greatest mass murderer...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8026
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I disagree with the assessment of Near and Mello. In fact, Near is my favorite character. He has a certain hard-earned charm to him, with how cold and brilliant, but sort of fragile and dependant he is all at once. He isn't a copy of L, he has his own traits, like how cutthroat his reasoning is. The manga does a lot better job going into his investigation, though. Some of the leaps of logic in the story are even more unbelievable in the anime because they'd rather spend time showing people reacting to things for long periods of time rather than moving along the plot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Sidoh was one of the highlights of volume 8 for me (ditto episode 25 for volume 7). Overall, I agree that Death Note has tanked since the first four volumes, but the drama here is still enjoyable, and there do seem to be hints of the series returning to its prime in the last volume.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
leftbehindxp



Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I disagree with the assessment of Near and Mello. In fact, Near is my favorite character. He has a certain hard-earned charm to him, with how cold and brilliant, but sort of fragile and dependant he is all at once. He isn't a copy of L, he has his own traits, like how cutthroat his reasoning is. The manga does a lot better job going into his investigation, though. Some of the leaps of logic in the story are even more unbelievable in the anime because they'd rather spend time showing people reacting to things for long periods of time rather than moving along the plot.


Totally agree with you. The manga does a lot better in a lot of things.

If they had given the same treatment to the second part, as in more depth like the first part, then I think more people would appreciate it. I defiantly had more enjoyment reading the manga spoiler[after L died], the characters were more interesting and the story was tense. Mello is defiantly one of my top two favorite characters in this series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Who Is This Guy!?



Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:


Totally agree with you. The manga does a lot better in a lot of things.

If they had given the same treatment to the second part, as in more depth like the first part, then I think more people would appreciate it. I defiantly had more enjoyment reading the manga spoiler[after L died], the characters were more interesting and the story was tense. Mello is defiantly one of my top two favorite characters in this series.

Actually, I felt the manga had way more impact on Mello.

If you didn't notice, most of the scenes not shown in the series revolve around the mafia, such as the commando assault on their base.

Mello felt almost wasted in the anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3587
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
I'd be willing to say that Mello and Near were never really meant to be L, as if the idea that there is no replacement but people were willing to try to stop Kira. The rest of the review I agree with. The English version was very well done, and I enjoy the refreshing choice of metal theme songs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zinv72



Joined: 04 Sep 2008
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
Exaggerated dramatic flair becomes overblown at times, Near.

That sentence made me burst out in laughter.

I genuinely thought the last 2 episodes were excellent.
So much drama and suspense. Tetsuro Araki and Tsugumi Ooba are brilliant. (Takeshi Obata too of course, for it's due to his illustration that the action was so effective.) Very Happy I will miss Death Note.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tarrin4ever



Joined: 18 Jan 2006
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
Eh? What's this talk of producers and writers doing these things?

All of these decisions came from two specific people. The artist and the writer of the original manga (and maybe some input from their editor).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AckIsBack



Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Location: Omaha
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
You know...I'm actually one of the select few who liked Mello for what he brought to the table...

Sure he's nowhere near L...but he brings in an interesting perspective to catching Light; utilizing the mafia, and playing by no rules whatsoever.

It's not everyday you have a ruthless mafia ringleader trying to catch the world's greatest mass murderer...


Seconded!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
leftbehindxp



Joined: 09 Dec 2007
Posts: 142
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, I felt the manga had way more impact on Mello.

If you didn't notice, most of the scenes not shown in the series revolve around the mafia, such as the commando assault on their base.

Mello felt almost wasted in the anime.


Yeah that's what I meant. If they had not cut back episodes on the second part then it would probably shown those scenes. The T.V. series didn't do justice to the manga.

They did the first part fine, but the fast pace of the second part was kind of terrible. Anybody know why they did that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
posterior_praiser



Joined: 21 Oct 2007
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They did the first part fine, but the fast pace of the second part was kind of terrible. Anybody know why they did that?


Probably because the second part of the manga was pretty unpopular and they may have feared poor ratings for those episodes, so they rammed through them. Or it could have been a budgetary issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pachy_boy



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 1193
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Quote:
They did the first part fine, but the fast pace of the second part was kind of terrible. Anybody know why they did that?


Probably because the second part of the manga was pretty unpopular and they may have feared poor ratings for those episodes, so they rammed through them. Or it could have been a budgetary issue.


From what I looked up on Wikipedia, the manga-ka of 'Death Note' whose name I forget wasn't originally going to make the manga run that much longer, but they encouraged him to due to its popularity. So *maybe* that's how he came up with L's removal and Near and Mello's entry.

I've watched the series, and although I hear the manga's superior I don't feel I can spend extra money on the original story at this point. Regardless, just from watching the series I thought Near and Mello made for interesting characters anyway. It's *because* they're not the exact same people as L, or don't have that 'appeal' or whatever, it made me wonder what was going to happen next and what their methods would be in finding Kira, and that in itself made it exciting for me. So I can't agree with the reviewer's feelings on Near.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Who Is This Guy!?



Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I felt the manga had way more impact on Mello.

If you didn't notice, most of the scenes not shown in the series revolve around the mafia, such as the commando assault on their base.

Mello felt almost wasted in the anime.


Yeah that's what I meant. If they had not cut back episodes on the second part then it would probably shown those scenes. The T.V. series didn't do justice to the manga.

They did the first part fine, but the fast pace of the second part was kind of terrible. Anybody know why they did that?

Because they spent way too much time on L in the first part.

I for one will emulate a very, very loud Colonel Campbell-esque "I HIGHLY DISAPPROVE!" change; that one foot fetish scene in L's last episode was too damn weird, awkward, and unnecessary; it was just there to please fangirls with foot fetishes...

If they removed that, and all the really unecessary "inside the head/city landscape" monologues, they would have had more than enough room to do the manga justice.

They tried to enhance the first part without realizing they were killing the second half...which, honestly...needed everything it had. And worst yet...the "enhancements" made to the first half was completely not needed...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8026
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
From what I looked up on Wikipedia, the manga-ka of 'Death Note' whose name I forget wasn't originally going to make the manga run that much longer, but they encouraged him to due to its popularity. So *maybe* that's how he came up with L's removal and Near and Mello's entry.


Actually, Ohba intended Light to be brought down by L's successors from the beginning. It says as much in "How to Read", if I recall correctly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group