• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVDs 7 + 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Different tastes for different folks, I guess, but I disagree with you pretty strongly here. MSN is a fun and clever series, but with the exception of one or two scenes it doesn't come close to GL in terms of stylistic, action, or dramatic punch. I'm not a GL fanboy, but I didn't rate it solidly on my Best of 2008 series list for nothing.

As I said, the character designs are a big turn-off for me. Yeah, the various plot holes (like no blindness in the light. My eyes regularly have to adjust moving from inside to bright SoCal sunshine on any given day which led me to the whole blind cave creatures thing, but oh, well.) Kamina was fun. Simon's annoying as hell. Leeron hit me as a bad imitation of Tekkaman's Levin. The mech made me think of Viewtiful Joe. I'm really not a mech fan--I tend to like mech titles for the plot or the characters & I found no one to latch onto really.

Key wrote:

And concerning DN: let's not get too carried away here. The series does take a novel approach for shonen shows, but is still a shonen show. Many people are, I think, reading way more into it than what is present or ever intended. The series isn't trying to make any grand statements about morality or nihilism; those are just side effects of its cool-but-gimmicky story.

Which is what I said.
The whole problem with the shonen manga thing is the brutal schedule of whether one is inspired or not producing 10 or more pages per week/month/whatever. It's not like a novelist who can craft it, go back & change early parts to fit later plot inspirations & hand the finished product over to the editor for printing & sale. The style sort of feeds a slacker mentality--why write out a whole highly detailed plot overview when the story may not sell or may be cancelled sooner than you plan? The editors seem to offer certain advice which seems to be heeded regularly so again, why finish the product before presenting it?

More than once I've seen (shojo usually) artist complain about being ordered to lengthen a story they'd planned to run 3 volumes or 7 volumes, etc. While this seems to be the issue with DN, the author insisted she planned 108 chapters, but she also pointed out as she wrote, certain things made her change her plans such as having Mello & Near's final actions switched. In the usual shonen tale of heading out & wailing on baddies, the author can create a certain number of cannon fodder characters to add cool battle scenes, saving the major characters for the important stuff.

Key wrote:

And incidentally, my impression has always been that the Death Note was just the trigger which brought out Light's true character rather than a device which possessed him or warped him to the Dark Side. From the beginning he gives the impression of being a complete egotist with the teenage-fueled arrogance to believe that his world view is unquestionably the correct one.

My mother always said locks keep honest people honest. The crooks want in bad enough, they're going to get in. There are certain people who find a wallet full of cash who will turn it in with the cash & others who'll pocket the cash who otherwise consider themselves fairly honest people. The majority of my clients are normal types who fell into a bad situation--hanging out with the wrong friends, a moment of weakness, etc. Light is very much the "elite" student we see in manga, very intelligent, often superior like Souichiro Arima & his little dark side in Kare Kano or Shinobu Tezuka & his little devious mind in Greenwood. Most exist to manipulate their mental inferiors & Light also probably would have become a cop like his dad & swiftly moved up the management chain to a place where he could torture his employees in the name of advancing his fame. Or he might have had some event in his life which would adjust his outlook & he'd be friendlier to his fellow man. Whatever.

In fact, one of my beefs with DN is that little "free time" he experiences there for a bit to fool L has him much sweeter & more gosh-darn sincere than he seemed to be in that initial chapter. I felt the author pushed his personality much further than it should have been, but maybe she overdid it before he picked up the DN. Maybe he was supposed to just be bored, but she was unable to present it properly.
I was also disappointed it wasn't actually meant to be a morality play. It works in the classic good over evil, but the author wasn't trying to get that across which ultimately means Hitler was ok because he was just doing his best to make the world a better place as he saw it & since all humans become nothing, it doesn't matter if one is good or bad because we're all going to the same place. This is one time where the reader inserting their own interpretation just might be better because seeing Light as someone who could have used his vast imtelligence for the good of his fellow man & had a decent, happy life in a fairly happy world vs the scheming, one-step-ahead-of-his-pursuers dictator who created a world where everyone was afraid of being ratted out by their neighbors is a better view in my book.
Because the minute I read the author's comment, that Hitler thought was the first one that sprang to my mind. Hitler. Hussein. Amin. All ok by that vision. There's no good or evil, just different opinions, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4