• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ray's Anatomy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I totally see why people say that about the UBW movie. Imo its just fan service... I mean they just animated the coolest events expecting everyone interested to know the story already.

I kinda disagree with the reason for the route order. I can see how you can draw some conclusion about Shiro's character possibly developing to become more mature each time you get to a new route, but I think the main reason is obviously that each route only explains a part of the story and the 2nd two routes need the information in the original fate route to be already known (and heaven's feel assumes some UBW knowledge as well). Now you could retell the whole freaking story each time which they probably should have done for an animated adaption, but it makes for a horrible visual novel where you don't want to have to go through the same thing constantly (yes I realize the initial scenes are the same but you can also instant skip them because you've seen them before and it recognizes that on the 2nd play through) and just want each additional play through to explain additional details and takes on the story.

Fate is also the logical choice to go first as it doesn't really introduce any additional conflicts other than the premise of fighting for the grail. UBW adds the archer conflict and HF adds, well, a whole bunch of stuff I won't bother to spoil. So to start with those you would have to include an explanation for all the other servants and masters plus a bit of sabers background, and then since Fate isn't first it would be incredibly short and transparent since in either UBW or HF you know the spoiler[grail is corrupt therefore Shiro/Saber won't be getting it, Saber will also have to come to the realization that it can't help her, Saber will have to destroy it, and Saber will disappear]. I mean its not like Fate route's plot is hard to predict, but at least you do get quite a bit of interesting underlying information along the way since you are forced into doing it first.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Splitter wrote:
Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.

But it's not a slice of real life...!

Should we take it that you'd be bored by other similar series like say, the Aria franchise?
Call it a sub-genre if you'd like, but there are plenty of great non-realistic slice-of-life series, and the very basis of those stories are still the same as regular SoL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But it's not a slice of real life...!

Funny, that's actually one of the reason SOL doesn't hold my interest as intensely as other anime genres do.

Can we please have an SOL that actually portrays a semi-realistic world? I think this season's Tari Tari is one of the few that tries to, from what I've heard of it.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
GAH, the shelves this week, he has the Knight Saber and Motoslave figures, two of each@_@ I only have the Linna and Nene ones, so very jelli. I plan on getting the other two as well as the Boomer figure. I also started out with Bubblegum Crisis though I'm around the average age of anime fans(not too many of my friends have seen it or can be convinced to, so sad).
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
I also started out with Bubblegum Crisis though I'm around the average age of anime fans(not too many of my friends have seen it or can be convinced to, so sad).

That's pretty awesome seeing a younger anime fan watch and love BGC. If any of your friends are into sci-fi or cyberpunk, they have to watch it.

I never got around to buying the BGC figures before they went out of print (I can probably hunt them down, but have other things to buy)...especially Priss since she one of my favorite characters of all time.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I agreed with your review of UBW, though one thing that made me stop for a minute though was the claim that Liam O'Brien as Archer was 'ridiculously deep-voiced'. He sounds like an average adult male speaking in low tones to me. Maybe a bit deeper than average.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
It's a shame you couldn't get into Hidamari Sketch, Erin; but I can understand your reasons. I like slice of fake life shows like this when I'm feeling stressed or just want to relax. However, I can totally see the unrealistic and admittedly saccharin elements being distracting to some.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
That's pretty awesome seeing a younger anime fan watch and love BGC. If any of your friends are into sci-fi or cyberpunk, they have to watch it.

I never got around to buying the BGC figures before they went out of print (I can probably hunt them down, but have other things to buy)...especially Priss since she one of my favorite characters of all time.

If you ever do get the Priss one, try and get the metallic paint job, it looks so wonderful but it was also the only one that got that repaint.

I keep trying to introduce my friends to some of the older anime but most of the time they show an indifference/borderline hatred to anything that's over 5yo that makes me want to hit them upside the head.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.

Retort only works if your definition of "life" is totally angst-free. Technically a "healing" anime, which works if being rendered brain-dead is your idea of being healed Wink

I do like slice-of-life. I don't like healing.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The TV series was so low budget

Back in 2006 Fate/Stay Night didn't seem low budget at all to me...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked Ray isn't perishable.

Quote:

As a young doctor, Ray is able to see inside people, through their skin and everything, down to almost a cellular level, making her the greatest surgeon in the world (second only to Black Jack, I presume).

No, having the greatest knowledge and skill would make someone the Greatest Surgeon in the world; having "X-Ray" eyes makes them eligible for airport security.

I watched a few episodes On Demand and then I ff throught the rest as it's just not worth the time. Because, you know, you can get similar drama without the ridiculous premise.

And speaking of drama, Honey and Clover was the worst romance/art school anime I've ever seen even though I was giving it a 4/5 until the last four episodes of the second season. Then it was "Wait, what?" "What?" "No, he what?" "He and her? But what about?" "Hell, she's his...She's..."

It's was half as disgusting as Bunny Drop but it didn't have the foreshadowing. Run, Hagu, Run!
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
Erin was spot on wtih Fate UBW because that movie is not for people who have not read the visual novels because it does only a mediocre job explaining the Holy Grail War.

I'm happy she saw how great Archer's english voice and how good looking the fight scenes are shown.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Splitter wrote:

Retort only works if your definition of "life" is totally angst-free. Technically a "healing" anime, which works if being rendered brain-dead is your idea of being healed Wink

I do like slice-of-life. I don't like healing.

Look, I know you put a wink in there so maybe you were being tongue in cheek, but seriously, don't be so judgemental about what other people need to cope with life. If you don't like it, fine, but some of these shows have really helped me through some of the worst parts of my life (severe depression and anxiety), they did help me heal, you might want me to be bitter and cynical and tough, believe that that would mean I was healed, but that's not me. While I think Evangelion, for instance, is an important show and I can appreciate it, stuff like that has actually worsened my depression.
MJP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
>Dr. Katz reference

Thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone in thinking 90s animated comedy is still the best. Although I'm waiting for my references to The Critic.

Oh wait, that's probably Zac: "It stinks!"
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
I never actually played the Fate game itself, but I've been familiar with it enough to know about it. I finally got around to watching the TV series recently to get the original story (once again, thank you, Netflix). So watching UBW, it was an interesting turn of events. Always love Liam O'Brian's overacting (he pretty much saved Code Geass).

What I would like to see someone bring over, if at all possible, is Carnival Phantasm. After all the melodrama and angst from Type-Moon, they did this wonderful little silly OVA that had me rolling on the floor again and again. Little chance for that happening, though. They only released them on Blu-Ray, and Sentai only brings Blu-Ray to titles expected to get a dub as well. At least thus far. And the way they keep "bringing back the actors from the original," it'll be virtually impossible to bring both shows, Fate and Tsukihime,'s respective english actors back. Plus, many of them were the same actor. I think.

And if Aniplex brought them over, they'd be three hundred dollars for 12 13-minute episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4