• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ray's Anatomy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeruleanDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
Quote:
The TV series was so low budget

Back in 2006 Fate/Stay Night didn't seem low budget at all to me...

The quality looks fine...unless you're watching it after watching Fate/Zero. Then, there's a glaring quality divide.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
I love that complete set of 1/4 HARUHI bunny figures--just one is way out of my price range.

I like HIDAMARI SKETCH well enough but I can't believe it's lasted so long--I think one season is enough for that show. Though since I'm an obsessive completionist I bought all three seasons and I'm going to buy SP too, do I guess I'm actually part of the problem.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.

But it's not a slice of real life...!
No, no. no, it's not a slice of real adult life, which are the eyes you are using to watch this with. That's not a put down, it's just a physical fact., as I too would be saying the exact same thing if I were viewing this. High School teenagers live for the moment. The only thoughts for the future are for the next party occasion. Very few start thinking about life after graduation until they wake up the next morning after that party bubble popped, realising now their parents are hinting that they should be thinking about leaving their house soon by them either starting university, or try and get a job somewhere. That's when the shock of exposure of ice cold adulthood against their naked young skin, like standing naked in the middle of a nor-easter in January, sets in. A fact that I'm living through as I type with my lot. Wink
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
ooooh, Sentai got Bang Zoom back to dub the movie? Thats good of them Smile
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Um, Erin... Hidamari Sketch is a slice-of-life series, so... that's kind of the point.

No, no. no, it's not a slice of real adult life, which are the eyes you are using to watch this with. That's not a put down, it's just a physical fact., as I too would be saying the exact same thing if I were viewing this. High School teenagers live for the moment. The only thoughts for the future are for the next party occasion. Very few start thinking about life after graduation until they wake up the next morning after that party bubble popped, realising now their parents are hinting that they should be thinking about leaving their house soon by them either starting university, or try and get a job somewhere. That's when the shock of exposure of ice cold adulthood against their naked young skin, like standing naked in the middle of a nor-easter in January, sets in. A fact that I'm living through as I type with my lot. Wink

Most teenagers I've met do not have lives like the characters in Hidamari Sketch, and they have a lot more to think about than parties, plus, y'know what happens at/after a lot of parties? Rape. In the real world, a teenage girl can't even go to a goddamn party without having to worry about shit like that. If you believe the lives of children and teenagers are easy you're the one viewing the world through very biased eyes.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
That figure collection...DAMN. I see that Cerberus Project Ryomou Shimei figure that I've wanted ever since 2008, but I didn't have enough money to buy it at the time. Still bums me out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Quote:
And yet, and YET, even though this series is supposed to be relaxing, the lack of conflict actually makes me feel anxious. In this scant two episode OVA the girls clean their curtains, have a pajama party, and most significantly, visit an art museum.

Reminds us how people used to criticize Seinfeld as a show about nothing........... well, it's supposed to be! Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
While Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, as overall, is good, it kinda bothered me that this movie is a bit rushed to the end and that Archer's identity is kinda confusing.

The one scene that really bothered me the most is spoiler[the death of Illya]. :/

Well I liked UBW. Though even I admit that scene was so wrong on so many levels.

and of course Erin would loved O Brien's take as Archer. WHO DOESN'T?

Hopefully if Fate Type Zero gets dubbed, most of the cast from the series would also return as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
I like the way they approached the Fate franchise. I have no idea why almost everyone complains that it didn't take a generic straight route, one that's present in almost every single anime.

If you like Rin, there's plenty of Rin in Fate/stay Night. Night can be a really good series, granted that you didn't attempt to watch the other two first. I know someone who tried Zero first, and clearly ended up disliking Night because of all the skyrocketed expectations. Zero is superior in every aspect, watching it before Night would be like eating a very sweet chocolate cake and drinking juice afterwards.

With that said, eat in the proper order, don't be an anime glutton if you're going to complain about the very downfall you created for yourself.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
Retort only works if your definition of "life" is totally angst-free. Technically a "healing" anime, which works if being rendered brain-dead is your idea of being healed Wink

I do like slice-of-life. I don't like healing.

Look, I know you put a wink in there so maybe you were being tongue in cheek, but seriously, don't be so judgemental about what other people need to cope with life. If you don't like it, fine, but some of these shows have really helped me through some of the worst parts of my life (severe depression and anxiety), they did help me heal, you might want me to be bitter and cynical and tough, believe that that would mean I was healed, but that's not me.

If a show makes you feel better, that's great. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that marshmallows are good food.

And I'm not saying that a show has to be dark and angsty to be good. SOL shows I esteem (using a fairly broad definition of the term), all worth checking out if you haven't already:
Strawberry Marshmallow, World of Narue, Someday's Dreamers, Niea_7, Kaleido Star, Fumoffu, Chobits, Bamboo Blade, Azu Daioh, Genshiken, Fruits Basket.

OTOH I think Aria gave me permanent brain damage.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

And I'm not saying that a show has to be dark and angsty to be good. SOL shows I esteem (using a fairly broad definition of the term), all worth checking out if you haven't already:
Strawberry Marshmallow, World of Narue, Someday's Dreamers, Niea_7, Kaleido Star, Fumoffu, Chobits, Bamboo Blade, Azu Daioh, Genshiken, Fruits Basket.

OTOH I think Aria gave me permanent brain damage.

Half the shows you mentioned are comedies first, with some slice-of-life elements.

Hidamari Sketch, Aria and Sketchbook are the opposite, and I believe those are what UtenaAnthy was referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Most teenagers I've met do not have lives like the characters in Hidamari Sketch, and they have a lot more to think about than parties, plus, y'know what happens at/after a lot of parties? Rape. In the real world, a teenage girl can't even go to a goddamn party without having to worry about shit like that. If you believe the lives of children and teenagers are easy you're the one viewing the world through very biased eyes.
Whooh! Cool your jets luv! Sounds like either you, or someone you know had a bad time of it back then, but the rest of the world isn't all like that. However having said that I also know there's no guarantee stuff like that couldn't ever happen, which is why both my teens have black belts in Karate and have my blessing to use it to the death if need be. But they also don't hang out with the wrong people, or go to those kind of parties, and have a bit of common sense drilled into them so we don't have to worry about what they are up to when they are out. Is it nature, or nurture? I like to think it is equal of both.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If we are talking about this week's releases, AnoHana is Shelf Worthy in my opinion.

I just got it in the mail today! So maybe for the July 16th...

MJP wrote:
Although I'm waiting for my references to The Critic.

I haven't referenced The Critic yet? "Ho-Ho-Kus and Weehawken! Twin jewels in Jersey's Crown!"

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm shocked Ray isn't perishable.

My husband thought it was Shelf Worthy. He loved that the show was trying to do something different than most anime series. I also give Ray points for trying something new and being interesting, but it didn't meet my requirements of Shelf Worthiness.

Mohawk52 wrote:
High School teenagers live for the moment. The only thoughts for the future are for the next party occasion. Very few start thinking about life after graduation until they wake up the next morning after that party bubble popped

I guess I wasn't invited to those kinds of parties! Instead I moped around the house watching Sailor Moon and obsessing about my future...

fireaxe wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

Splitter wrote:

Should we take it that you'd be bored by other similar series like say, the Aria franchise?

Well... yes. I do usually think "slice of life" shows are boring. That said, I liked the Aria manga a lot more than the anime series (which I never finished watching), because when you read the manga you can choose to take your time looking at the gorgeous art, but watching the anime traps you into the director's choice of timing (which is true of every show, but seems particularly painful for Aria in my case). Then again I never finished reading the manga, either, because nothing was compelling me to keep going.

Azumanga Daioh is the only "slice of life" show I love.

jymmy wrote:
I agreed with your review of UBW, though one thing that made me stop for a minute though was the claim that Liam O'Brien as Archer was 'ridiculously deep-voiced'. He sounds like an average adult male speaking in low tones to me. Maybe a bit deeper than average.

I meant it as a slang-like hyperbolic compliment, not literally as "ridiculous".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
High School teenagers live for the moment. The only thoughts for the future are for the next party occasion. Very few start thinking about life after graduation until they wake up the next morning after that party bubble popped

I guess I wasn't invited to those kinds of parties! Instead I moped around the house watching Sailor Moon and obsessing about my future...
Not every teen party is a natural piss up whilst the parents are away, like mine were, but that was back in the Triassic anyway. Different life forms back then, more feral.

Pajama parties, sleepovers, birthday parties, you never got invited to anything similar? I have been asking my soon to be 18 year old what she plans on doing with her life after graduation and I still get the same old response, "Idaknow. Maybe this, maybe that, Idaknow." I say "then get a job", I get "w'ever". She says all her friends are the same.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
fireaxe wrote:

Should we take it that you'd be bored by other similar series like say, the Aria franchise?

Well... yes. I do usually think "slice of life" shows are boring. That said, I liked the Aria manga a lot more than the anime series (which I never finished watching), because when you read the manga you can choose to take your time looking at the gorgeous art, but watching the anime traps you into the director's choice of timing (which is true of every show, but seems particularly painful for Aria in my case). Then again I never finished reading the manga, either, because nothing was compelling me to keep going.

Azumanga Daioh is the only "slice of life" show I love.

Makes perfect sense that you did not overly liked Hidamari Sketch then, thanks for the honest response. Most huge fans of the show will tell you that the magic of it resides in its characters. If seeing any of their faces on screen don't instantly put a smile on your face, odds are you'll find the show decent at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4